What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 - iSO 5.1.1

air911medic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pls need some assistance.

I am trying to download/upgrade my software to iSO 5.1.1 but every time its giving me an error message. I try to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and even to 8.8.4.4 but still the same. Also did reset all the setting and still the same error message.

Can I try anything thing that can make this download/upgrade work? I am doing the via an WIFI connection

Martinbowden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5.1 was released a few days ago but some people are still having problems when trying to update. The download can time out, not start at all, or sometimes throw an error message saying “Unable to Check for Update. An error occurred while checking for a software update.” or “The network connection could not be established.”

If you’re having trouble downloading iOS 5.1 from Apple’s servers, try these fixes:

Reset Network Settings on iOS Device: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
Clear Hosts File: Look at your hosts file for anything blocking Apple’s servers and comment them out, this is mostly relevant to jailbreakers and if you see “Error 3194“
Change DNS Servers: Adjusting DNS on either the computer you are downloading from or iOS device if using OTA can resolve the issue, instructions on how to do so are below
Changing DNS seems to be the most reliable method, here is how to do so in iOS and OS X.

Changing DNS in iOS

Tap on Settings, tap on “Wi-Fi”, and tap on the blue arrow next to the router name
Under “DHCP” tab tap on “DNS” and replace with: “8.8.8.8″ for Google DNS, or “208.67.222.222″ for OpenDNS
Tap the Back button and attempt to use OTA again
Change DNS in OS X

Open System Preferences from the Apple menu
Click on “Network” and then click on ‘Advanced’ in the lower right corner
Click the “DNS” tab and then add a new DNS server by clicking the “+” icon, adding either “8.8.8.8″ for Google DNS or “208.67.222.222″ for OpenDNS
Drag the newly added DNS server to the top of the list, click “OK” then close out of System Preferences
On a Mac you may need to follow this up with flushing DNS cache, so open the Terminal and type the following:

dscacheutil -flushcache

Now try opening iTunes and updating, or try to download iOS 5.1 firmware directly from Apple again.

An unrelated but pleasant side effect of changing DNS can be that your wi-fi speeds increase, give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

Thanks to Aygie and Sayed for the DNS tips!

CrankyJinVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd hold off on applying the update. From what I've read, you might consider yourself lucky to have encountered such problems with getting it updated. Several friends have updated their iPads (gen 2), and have had nothing but problems since then. One friend isn't able to get his iPad to charge beyond 38%! And considering the battery is getting sucked up at 3x the rate as before the update...I'd say that's a pretty HUGE freaking problem!
I thankfully have held off on updating, having learned the hard way with other devices, to always read about the updates before applying it. I'll be waiting for Apple to fix this crap before I update ANY of my iOS devices. I don't know if it's just me, but it really seems like the QA has already gone to crap since Steve has been gone. <sigh>
If you've already updated, I hope you aren't having the same problems others have encountered.
Good luck!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
CrankyJinVT said:
If I were you, I'd hold off on applying the update. From what I've read, you might consider yourself lucky to have encountered such problems with getting it updated. Several friends have updated their iPads (gen 2), and have had nothing but problems since then. One friend isn't able to get his iPad to charge beyond 38%! And considering the battery is getting sucked up at 3x the rate as before the update...I'd say that's a pretty HUGE freaking problem!

Welcome to the Forum CrankyJinVT!

This is Apple's way of fixing problems that have been identified by many customers as a problem that they need to address quickly. Have you determined what specific problems your friends had when they updated to this version? You cite one example about your friend not able to get his ipad to charge beyond 38%. You do know that the battery meter for the iPad has to be re-calibrated? There are a lot of information about re-calibrating the iPad so that the battery meter displays appropriate status.

CrankyJinVT said:
...I thankfully have held off on updating, having learned the hard way with other devices, to always read about the updates before applying it. I'll be waiting for Apple to fix this crap before I update ANY of my iOS devices. I don't know if it's just me, but it really seems like the QA has already gone to crap since Steve has been gone. <sigh>
If you've already updated, I hope you aren't having the same problems others have encountered.
Good luck!

As a software engineer for your light bulb company, don't you just hate it when some of your endusers say things like:

"Those IT people, all they do is sit around and wait for problems, and when there is a problem, it takes them weeks to fix it, and when they fix it, I have to re-do everything I had on my desktop because they wiped out all of my favorite websites, and all my files are gone, and I can't locate my favorite wallpaper of my mother.... If you ask me they are overpaid."

Or:

"In the good old days, we would never experience this problem when Dick was providing PC support. He knew everything about our systems. Too bad they let him go in the last downsizing, those new IT people that replaced him don't know Dick!"

Just sayin'

Last edited:

CrankyJinVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Welcome to the Forum CrankyJinVT!

This is Apple's way of fixing problems that have been identified by many customers as a problem that they need to address quickly. Have you determined what specific problems your friends had when they updated to this version? You cite one example about your friend not able to get his ipad to charge beyond 38%. You do know that the battery meter for the iPad has to be re-calibrated? There are a lot of information about re-calibrating the iPad so that the battery meter displays appropriate status.

As a software engineer for your light bulb company, don't you just hate it when some of your endusers say things like:

"Those IT people, all they do is sit around and wait for problems, and when there is a problem, it takes them weeks to fix it, and when they fix it, I have to re-do everything I had on my desktop because they wiped out all of my favorite websites, and all my files are gone, and I can't locate my favorite wallpaper of my mother.... If you ask me they are overpaid."

Or:

"In the good old days, we would never experience this problem when Dick was providing PC support. He knew everything about our systems. Too bad they let him go in the last downsizing, those new IT people that replaced him don't know Dick!"

Just sayin'

Thanks! Glad to be here.

Actually, believe it or not, I hadn't really heard about the need to recal the battery on the iPad 2. I personally (thankfully) haven't encountered any problems with mine at all over the last year. Got it day one of release last year, have used it extensively nearly every day, and never encountered any battery issues. I'd like to be able to say the same about my 4S...but thankfully, 5.1 helped that dramatically.
Thanks for the heads up about the battery recal. Makes perfect sense, and I've passed the thought/info on to my buddy.
I'm curious though, have you really heard of instances where other users batteries had either developed a memory at that low a level, and if so, did a recal of the battery really resolve it?

As for my other friend that encountered issues after 5.1.1, he encountered problems with screen response...but I'm unconvinced that it's a truly a result of the latest update. Not without a first hand look at it anyhow.

Actually, I'm all done working for the "we bring good things to light" folks, having moved on to greener pastures with a smaller company.
But your point is well taken. Perhaps I was a tad cranky with my initial impressions and judgement of this update. I am quite interested with where Apple goes as a company in the post "Jobs" era. I hope to see great things.
Thanks for the gentle nudge towards adjusting my perspective. It's definitely all too easy to sometimes slip into the other role.
Did I mention how I can be cranky sometimes? Oh...right...my username... ;-)

jv_03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just updated my iPad 2 os 5.1.1 and I don't have any problems so far..

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
CrankyJinVT said:
Thanks! Glad to be here.

Actually, believe it or not, I hadn't really heard about the need to recal the battery on the iPad 2. I personally (thankfully) haven't encountered any problems with mine at all over the last year. Got it day one of release last year, have used it extensively nearly every day, and never encountered any battery issues. I'd like to be able to say the same about my 4S...but thankfully, 5.1 helped that dramatically.
Thanks for the heads up about the battery recal. Makes perfect sense, and I've passed the thought/info on to my buddy.
I'm curious though, have you really heard of instances where other users batteries had either developed a memory at that low a level, and if so, did a recal of the battery really resolve it?

As for my other friend that encountered issues after 5.1.1, he encountered problems with screen response...but I'm unconvinced that it's a truly a result of the latest update. Not without a first hand look at it anyhow.

Actually, I'm all done working for the "we bring good things to light" folks, having moved on to greener pastures with a smaller company.
But your point is well taken. Perhaps I was a tad cranky with my initial impressions and judgement of this update. I am quite interested with where Apple goes as a company in the post "Jobs" era. I hope to see great things.
Thanks for the gentle nudge towards adjusting my perspective. It's definitely all too easy to sometimes slip into the other role.
Did I mention how I can be cranky sometimes? Oh...right...my username... ;-)

Back at you CrankyJinVT <smile>

Regarding battery meter calibration, this is a problem that showed up with iPad third generation because this model uses so much energy to power it's retina screen. BUT its always been around since the first iPad. Basically, you have to let the battery run down to zero percent--to the point that the iPad turns off. Then you let it go back to 100% charge. Apple encourages you to do this once a month or so. It really isn't the battery itself creating a memory but the software that manages energy for the iPad. I experienced this problem on the new iPad the other way--my battery indicator showed a full charge then an hour later it dropped to 30%. The part of the problem is that it took the iPad a lot of time to energize.

Most reactions

Latest posts