What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad redundancy

djbaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone else annoyed by the iOS limit on the iPad 1? I am. 4 years ago my wife spent £700 to buy me an iPad 1. Now I discover it's practically redundant because I can't upgrade the iOS beyond 5.1.1 - and therefore I can't download BT TV (requires iOS6 or higher) and I can't download Facebook (!!) which requires iOS 7. There are probably many others I can't use as well. Now, I may be a bit slow to adopt all the latest techno wizardry, but I think it's taking the mickey when such an expensive item is virtually obsolete so quickly, just because the manufacturers put a limit on how far you can upgrade the software. Does anyone feel the same? And, more to the point, does anyone know if there's a trade-in value for iPad 1s?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 1 was revolutionary when it first came out but it's limited 256MB of RAM means it can't handle the processing demands of most modern apps. Even if you could upgrade the iOS past iOS 5.1.1, it wouldn't be able to handle it. It's still useful for playing movies and TV shows as well as music and audiobooks. Web browsing should work but it might have some trouble with graphics intensive modern websites.

Apple doesn't put a predetermined limit on how far you can upgrade, that's determined by the hardware which limits what it can handle. Even people owning the latest iPad Air 2, will be in your position in a few years.

Rapid obsolescence is the price we pay for the increasing pace of technological change.

If you sold your iPad you might get as much as $200.00 if it's in perfect condition.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In all fairness, Apple is doing a heck of a lot better than the Android Market. Most of those devices never see an OS upgrade.
I wouldn't call the iPad 1 obsolete, it still does everything it was intended to do. I have one I use all the time for my daughter to watch youtube videos, netflix etc... and it does that just fine.
With that being said, a good rule of thumb is to avoid the first generation of any new device (Apple Watch included). These devices are used to test market demand and have a minimal amount of features to ensure a higher return on investment. The next generation or two are when the features tend to creep in and the bugs get worked out.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is anyone else annoyed by the iOS limit on the iPad 1? I am. 4 years ago my wife spent £700 to buy me an iPad 1. Now I discover it's practically redundant because I can't upgrade the iOS beyond 5.1.1 - and therefore I can't download BT TV (requires iOS6 or higher) and I can't download Facebook (!!) which requires iOS 7. There are probably many others I can't use as well. Now, I may be a bit slow to adopt all the latest techno wizardry, but I think it's taking the mickey when such an expensive item is virtually obsolete so quickly, just because the manufacturers put a limit on how far you can upgrade the software. Does anyone feel the same? And, more to the point, does anyone know if there's a trade-in value for iPad 1s?
Why blame Apple? Why not blame the third-party app developers for dropping support for older OS versions?

No one can see the future so it's impossible to create a device that is future proof. Suppose a new software technology comes along after a device is released. Do we simply refuse to implement said tech because it will render older devices obsolete? If Apple were to do that then users would accuse Apple of stagnating.

No, I feel that the third-party developers should shoulder much of the blame here. I realize that it would require more resources, but maintaining older versions of apps would take much of the sting out of owning older devices.

Just my $0.02

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Perhaps you need to adjust your thinking regarding technology. I recall a research piece written in the '70s regarding computing that suggested that the progress we had seen with technology in the last 100 years would only take 10 years to replicate with the progress made to that time. It has only accelerated since then. Had Apple, or any other company, been content with something they released 4 years ago they would be out of business. I try to buy the most powerful version of whatever technology I am getting and plan to upgrade it before it is obsolete, that way I get a reasonable price for what I am selling and hopefully have a unit that allows me maximum use of current technology.
In the case of iPads, I had a one, a two and now an air. New technology is great but there is a price to pay to keep up.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad can't do a lot of stuff it used to do. It used to browse Facebook fine, now it crashes a lot. I can surf the web, but a lot of websites make it crash too, so I bookmarked a few websites I like to visit that won't make it crash. It lost it's Youtube support recently, found that out while repairing the car. Used to like bringing the iPad out and watching tutorials while under the hood. I do think it sucks that as these apps get updated they don't keep the older versions around for people with older technology. Thankfully PDF Expert still works perfectly on it, the one app I actually used for work. It's mostly an ereader now, but it does have video playing capabilities still as well.

ronmacduff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I bought an ipad at auction, it still has ID and Password on it. does anyone know how i can reset it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I bought an ipad at auction, it still has ID and Password on it. does anyone know how i can reset it?
I'm afraid you're out of luck unless you can get the original owner to delete his iCloud account from the iPad. The issue with your iPad is called iCloud Activation Lock and was designed to make it impossible to erase and use the iPad without entering the iCloud ID and password. This was done for theft deterrent purposes.
There is, unfortunately no way to bypass Activation Lock. iCloud: Activation Lock

Edit: The people running the auction should have checked the iCloud Activation Lock status of the iPad before ever offering it for sale. The link in this post shows how.

Last edited:

Most reactions