What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini vs iPad 4??

dbnjzb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I wanted an iPad 4 and didn't have enough $ so I got an iPad Mini. I really do like it a lot. But my idea was to try it out save a little more money and exchange for the iPad 4. But I'm starting to get attached to it! I do really like the size as I'm a big guy and it fits in one hand perfectly. My problem is I like to have top of the line! Is there going to be things I can't do with this but can with the 4th with the A6X?? Am I gonna be outdated in no time? I have the 16gb and I would get the same size if I get the 4. I use iCloud. I use Netflix, surf Internet, play some games, take pics and video and use a lot of apps. I am probably not going to buy that many movies of iTunes. I do have an iPhone 4S so I do like the retina display but I don't think it's that noticeable for what I do. I haven't really used the larger size at all but I do like the larger screen I think. My son will be using it a decent amount also if i could let go of it. oh boy idk..I thank you for any comments! Thanks!
Dave

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a mini and an iPad 3. The mini can run all the 275000+ apps that the iPad 3 and iPad 4 run. What it doesnt' do is run in the high resolutions that the 3 and 4 run it. It won't view high-res images (as high res images, you can still view them, but scaled). It plays games just fine. It won't play movies in 1080p, because it only does 720p. But it will still play all the movies. I won't show text at high resolution, but it will still show all text. All games are designed to play on all iPad. The faster processors are mainly needed to toss high resolution images on the screen. I do have this one app called iCircuit that runs on both iPads....I think it runs much faster on the iPad 3 than on the mini, but it still runs.

This iPad is not top of the line....but it has everything it needs to run iPad apps. I think the model coming next year (rumor) will have a retina screen and have a faster processor. It's retina screen will be even higher res than that of the 4 and 3....depending on how the spec it, it could be the top of the line...or at least equivalent.

OP
D

dbnjzb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for this! I guess I just need to make up my mind whether I want the larger size and more power with the high res. hmm I do really like the size of the mini! I mean it fits in a lot of my pockets. Which one do you use more now that you have the mini? Is it harder/easier to do certain things on either? Thanks again!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my iPad 3 at work. I use my mini at home. When I get the 4g I will use it out and about. My mini works better when I'm sitting on the couch watching the tube. It goes around a lot easier than the bigger one, but I plan to keep both. If I want to make a movie in iMovie, I will use the 3 for that. It is also better for looking at high res images. I plan to play games on the mini. The other one is too heavy to hold all the time.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been reading in another thread on here about a member having problems running Grand Thief Auto on his iPad 4. Well, I have that game and thus tried to open in on both my iPad 3 and iPad mini. It would crash before getting to the part of the game where you can start playing it. Of course, it didn't do this when I got it on release...I think my iPad 3 was running 5.1 back then...and has since been updated to 6.0.1. I haven't opened this game in a while, so I didn't realize there was a problem with it.

So, I wrote off to the app developer this morning. Didn't get a real response...just a canned response....with a bunch of stuff to try. The very first one for iOS and Android was to removed all background apps and then launch the game.

Did that on my iPad 3 and the game comes up. Did that on my iPad mini and it still won't launch. I'm left wondering if this is due to one having 1GB of ram and the other having 512 MB of ram....now, in fairness, there are other things on that long list to try...so I can't really draw a conclusion, yet.

Last edited:

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to have both. I just put it on my Credit Card and will figure out how to pay it later. :)

OP
D

dbnjzb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I actually got some extra money so I went and exchanged the mini for the iPad 4! I like it better! I like the larger display and speed!

Most reactions

Latest posts