What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2017 vs iPad 4

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad 4 & wife has an original iPad Mini and we've been thinking about upgrading. I've been thinking about the new iPad 2017 for me and either the same for my wife or a factory refurbished iPad 4 Mini.

Will I notice much difference in the physical size and weight of the iPad 2017 compared to my iPad 4? Will the screen itself pretty much have the same look & feel?

Does it make sense to invest in a refurbished iPad 4 Mini vs the iPad 2017 (about $50 difference)?

Both our iPad's are pretty sluggish at this point does anyone buy these and if so what are they worth?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes you will notice a difference in weight and size
Yes The screen itself will pretty much have the same look and feel with minor improvements vs the 4.
No for $50 difference it doesn't make sense to go for the Mini 4 (unless you really like that form factor.
and yes people will buy your old ones. (about $200 for the iPad 4, $150 for the Mini)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a iPad 4 & wife has an original iPad Mini and we've been thinking about upgrading. I've been thinking about the new iPad 2017 for me and either the same for my wife or a factory refurbished iPad 4 Mini.............

Hi Mike - well, Brian has already addressed your issues about upgrading the iPads you currently own; but for some more specific stats, see the compilation table below (Source) - the new iPad (2017) has much better processors, 2 GB RAM, retina display, and 8 MP camera; also, the model is slighter smaller and importantly thinner than your 5 year old iPad 4; for iPad Mini comparisons, see the same link given. Whether your wife wants to upgrade to the same Mini footprint or a larger iPad is her choice - my wife has had 2 Minis and likes that size; I've had 2 9.7" iPads and prefer that form.

As to selling your iPads, you'll have to compare your preferences for the amount you want vs. the ease/responsibility of selling - as an example, I've sold several old iPads on Glyde (there are other similar online sites) - check their site for current selling options & buying offerings - now for me convenience is what I desire and will take less money; OTOH, if you want to optimize your sale price, then using a site such as eBay or Craig's list would be considerations; however, you become the seller w/ little anonymity - really, up to you. Finally, if you want a refurb for your wife (regardless of the size) look on the Apple site - their refurb products checked well and parts replaced, as needed ,and come w/ a one-year warranty. Good luck - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 12.54.48 PM.png

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the great information!

Haven't had any experience with Glyde but put my IPad 4 in to see what I could get and it preposed selling for $121 and my take $99. It's WiFi, 16gb, black, and I put in light wear barely visible scratches. Isn't the scratches thing kind of subjective I don't see any although a buyer might think differently?

Is the selling price and my take about what you would expect... Brian mentioned closer to $200? I don't quite understand the pricing are you supposed to go by their recommendation or set your own?

I see there is only one other iPad 4 for sell on Glyde with my specs but lists with heavy wear... selling price is $184.94. I would like to get a decent price but want to sell quickly.

Are IPad 4's very desirable and should it sell quickly?

I put in my wife's iPad Mini and my take was only $57 which doesn't sound like much.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Brian I live in a rural area so didn't come up with much on Craig's list or Buy, Sell & Trade for the iPad 4. Only two listings from a couple of dealers and well over $200 but with higher gb's & cellular.

Think if I could get $150-$175 with a quick and convenient sell I would be happy. Wonder if I listed it for $175 on Glyde if it would take awhile to sell?

As I mentioned my iPad 4 is pretty sluggish think it's because of the last couple of yearly IOS updates. Tried resetting it once but didn't help... will this affect my selling it?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Brian I live in a rural area so didn't come up with much on Craig's list or Buy, Sell & Trade for the iPad 4. Only two listings from a couple of dealers and well over $200 but with higher gb's & cellular.

Think if I could get $150-$175 with a quick and convenient sell I would be happy. Wonder if I listed it for $175 on Glyde if it would take awhile to sell?

As I mentioned my iPad 4 is pretty sluggish think it's because of the last couple of yearly IOS updates. Tried resetting it once but didn't help... will this affect my selling it?

Hi again Mike - as I stated about selling your iPads, there is a tradeoff between what you can make vs. how much you want to be involved in the process; for myself, I don't mind getting less for the ease and anonymity of selling at a site like Glyde - I will likely buy a new iPad this fall and will sell my iPad Air 2 on Glyde (current offering shown below); yes, the price can be adjusted but upping the amount impacts on the chance someone will want the device if other similar ones are available for less.

Concerning the iPad Mini, this is a 5 year old machine stuck on an older iOS and w/o a retina display, i.e. I suspect that few people would be interested in such dated technology. As Brian states, you will need to be your own seller (eBay, Craig's list, personal ad locally, or other means) if you want to make more money on these used devices. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 3.52.58 PM.png

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So Dave guess what you're saying is whatever Glyde suggests what you should sell it for is what you usually do.

Can I list it for more but then after a few days if it doesn't sell lower the price?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So Dave guess what you're saying is whatever Glyde suggests what you should sell it for is what you usually do.

Can I list it for more but then after a few days if it doesn't sell lower the price?

For my iPads sold on Glyde, I accepted their 'Market Price'; I use to sell DVDs & BDs there and would adjust the prices if the discs were not selling, so I assume the same is true for other items listed there - for more information check their FAQ Section. Also, when you sell an iDevice, there are guidelines/links in that section that explain the steps, also available in this Apple KB Article - pay particular attention on 'how' to sign out of iCloud & disable 'Find My iDevice...'; and a few more steps if your device(s) have cellular. Dave :)

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I went ahead and ordered a new iPad 2017 so just waiting for it to arrive (wife's still trying to decide). I thought I would wait to ge mine before I listed my iPad 4 for sale.

Before I reset the iPad 4 to factory condition I'll follow the steps you posted Dave. I've already backed up via iCloud and plan to backup via iTunes too.

I watched a video how to restore from old iPad to new which seems to be pretty simple during the new iPad setup. Wouldn't restoring from iCloud be the simpliest method?

Does it matter if I wipe my old iPad before or after I've restored everything to my new iPad?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok I went ahead and ordered a new iPad 2017 so just waiting for it to arrive (wife's still trying to decide). I thought I would wait to ge mine before I listed my iPad 4 for sale.

Before I reset the iPad 4 to factory condition I'll follow the steps you posted Dave. I've already backed up via iCloud and plan to backup via iTunes too.

I watched a video how to restore from old iPad to new which seems to be pretty simple during the new iPad setup. Wouldn't restoring from iCloud be the simpliest method?

Does it matter if I wipe my old iPad before or after I've restored everything to my new iPad?

Hi again Mike - congrats on the new purchase! :) You can do the restoration of your old iPad's backup to the new one using either iCloud or cabled iTunes - directions HERE (assume you have looked at this article, if not, then provides the steps). As for me, I've done 2 new iPads cabled to iTunes (but iCloud should be fine if you have a good Wi-Fi connection - up to you). I would suggest restoring your new iPad before wiping the old one just to make sure all goes well - then wipe the old one according to the previous posts. Good luck and let us know - Dave

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using my new 2017 iPad w/128gb of storage for a week now. Its wifi only and replaced a three-year-old iPad Air. I made the change mainly for the additional storage. I might not have made the purchase otherwise because I was happy with the older unit. I did the backup and restore via the Cloud this time and it was seamless. One mistake was to not allow the security bit and so my passwords were not copied over. Had to manually insert those into Safari but in the process I eliminated lots of links I no longer use.

The 2017 model is a nice unit, markedly faster than my Air. Apple's new pricing structure made the choice easy. I briefly looked at the 10.5 Pro unit but could not justify the additional $200 cost.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dakotapix sure glad to hear you like your new iPad 2017. What security bit did you skip during setup so I don't make the same mistake?

If price hadn't been an issue I probably would have purchased the 10.5 Pro but in my case it would have cost $300 more since minimum store is sufficient for me. Like you though really hard to justify the price difference.

I also considered the Air 2 but nice to know the iPad 2017 will get IOS updates for the next 4 or 5 years whereas the former wouldn't have.

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dakotapix sure glad to hear you like your new iPad 2017. What security bit did you skip during setup so I don't make the same mistake?
I can't recall the exact wording but the selection had to do with the Keychain. I'm sure that was my error.

Most reactions