What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini or ipad5

phxrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone , I have an ipad2 and looking to upgrade. I travel quite frequently and like to watch you tube , movies and shows on the plane. I heard the size of the screen for a mini would be a disadvantage compared to the bigger ipad. Should I get the mini 2 or the 5 when it comes out? How does watching movies on the mini screen compare to the larger screen of the full size ipad?

Kevow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad mini is my first ipad and i love it... I think its big enough in comparisson to other smaller tablets and its fast

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

It really is a personal choice.....I myself have the iPad 2 and the Mini. I use both all the time for different tasks. If I want to do more serious work, and with my duties on this Forum, I will use the iPad 2, if I'm on the go, I find the mini's size and ease of handling so much better. As far as watching video content is concerned the bigger the better is for me but then I wear reading glasses and this probably does add to my choice here. If my eyesight was better I feel the Mini would be just fine for me.

As far as travelling is concerned and I do travel quite a bit, the iPad mini wins hands down! Having said all that, I plan on getting the new iPad 5 when it is released.

I have now closed your earlier thread asking for opinions between the iPad 2 and the mini and have also directed members to this newer thread for their views.
I've also moved your thread to our General Duscussions Section where you will receive a better response by having more members view your post there.

Good luck with your choice!

D

dvdcatalyst

Hey everyone , I have an ipad2 and looking to upgrade. I travel quite frequently and like to watch you tube , movies and shows on the plane. I heard the size of the screen for a mini would be a disadvantage compared to the bigger ipad. Should I get the mini 2 or the 5 when it comes out? How does watching movies on the mini screen compare to the larger screen of the full size ipad?

The iPad 5 will not be that much different from an iPad 4.

Rumors regarding the iPad 5 include a smaller bezel, similar as that of the iPad Mini, and it will likely have the biometric home button from the iPhone 5S and its processor.
A resolution bump might be in the pipeline as well, but considering that the iPhone 5S did not receive one, I don't see the iPad 5 getting a higher resolution either.

The Mini 2, which seems to be marketed more for budget than for its smaller size, will likely get a faster processor, likely that of the iPad 3 (since the current generation is based on the iPad 2), and maybe, very maybe a retina display.

With that said, it is a personal choice.

If you travel a lot, the smaller size of the Mini/Mini 2 will make things easier for you. It is a bit easier to pack, and of course for use in waiting areas (airport) something a bit more portable is easier to use. Less weight also means more other stuff you can carry.

It also depends on how you use it. When I am on the road, I don't believe that having a perfect quality movie is that important. I rather have 10 good looking SD movies with me than 2 great looking HD ones. If you use streaming services on the road or stream a movie from iTunes, SD works better as well, because more often than not, wifi in hotels and such is pretty bad.

If you sit with an iPad in front of you, using a Mini or a full-size one on an airplane with the tray in front of you doesn't matter too much. Just move the mini/mini 2 a little closer to you and visually the size of the screen is the same as that of the larger one.
In a hotel room, it works the same, or simply use a TV-out solution for your iPad and connect it to the TV. You could use the price difference between the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad 5 to pick up an Apple TV and a router, and when you get to a hotel, set that up so you can stream your videos from your iPad to the Apple TV, and size doesn't matter at all.

I have a large variety of different gadgets and tablets, ranging in screen-sizes of 4" all through to 11", and when I travel, I prefer the 7" size (size of the Mini basically) the best. big enough to get an enjoyable experience, small enough to be "portable".

Most reactions

Latest posts