What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini will be outselling iPad-4

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see the iPad Mini out selling the iPad-4 in six months or so.. lots of my friends in my circle like the Mini over the Heavy iPad.. myself as well.. :) throw out your rebuttals.. I'm a Marketing person and I think the Mini will dominate in the future..very near future..
Doug

OP
MrDoug

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I just heard that it already is.. something like 3-1.. certainly because it's new.. but it will continue down that path..
Doug

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. The mini is attractive on a level that many people don't yet see. Once it gets a retina screen and a faster processor, it will be the hands down best tablet on the planet (assuming those features can be added without compromising what really makes it a great device). But even as it is now it will get huge penetration. I'm so glad apple held their guns on the 4:3 screen, though. There is a lot of pressure on that front. Of course, it is easier to hold with that form factor but that makes it so much less useful for the range of things that people do. The light weight and long battery life are very important to its long- term success.

Devynquinn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MrDoug said:
I see the iPad Mini out selling the iPad-4 in six months or so.. lots of my friends in my circle like the Mini over the Heavy iPad.. myself as well.. :) throw out your rebuttals.. I'm a Marketing person and I think the Mini will dominate in the future..very near future..
Doug

I bought both on release day. iPad 4 is for home in bed at night, reading news and movies. Mini is for out and about, or listening to music ( I slide it under my pillow). So both are useful. As for the screen, I can't tell a difference. I upgraded from iPad 2, and it worked fine.

OP
MrDoug

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought both on release day. iPad 4 is for home in bed at night, reading news and movies. Mini is for out and about, or listening to music ( I slide it under my pillow). So both are useful. As for the screen, I can't tell a difference. I upgraded from iPad 2, and it worked fine.
yes, I do basically the same thing. I love both. Thinking about (shall I say it?) trying the Nexus 10. Oh - did I say that? Oh. I can't tell any diff in the iPad 4 screen vs mini screen as well. Lots of habup about it, but not looking for it I didn't really notice.
Doug

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I agree. The mini is attractive on a level that many people don't yet see. Once it gets a retina screen and a faster processor, it will be the hands down best tablet on the planet (assuming those features can be added without compromising what really makes it a great device). But even as it is now it will get huge penetration. I'm so glad apple held their guns on the 4:3 screen, though. There is a lot of pressure on that front. Of course, it is easier to hold with that form factor but that makes it so much less useful for the range of things that people do. The light weight and long battery life are very important to its long- term success.

Even you state "once it gets a retina display and a faster processor" which tells me it's just not quite there yet. The iPod touch now has a retina display so they can't say the size won't benefit from it. I actually think the 4:3 aspect ratio is perfect for tablets and should stay this way. I can see the lightness and portability being huge plusses and that's what a lot of people are buying them for. I still think it was somewhat rushed out for the holidays. That's fine, but it feels a little incomplete.

What I don't get is people making it sound like the regular iPads are heavy or non portable! It's like, c'mon folks, lets not overdo it. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even you state "once it gets a retina display and a faster processor" which tells me it's just not quite there yet. The iPod touch now has a retina display so they can't say the size won't benefit from it. I actually think the 4:3 aspect ratio is perfect for tablets and should stay this way. I can see the lightness and portability being huge plusses and that's what a lot of people are buying them for. I still think it was somewhat rushed out for the holidays. That's fine, but it feels a little incomplete.

What I don't get is people making it sound like the regular iPads are heavy or non portable! It's like, c'mon folks, lets not overdo it. :)

Even form factor change has an impact. the touch has a screen the same size as an iPhone. Since the mini's screen is bigger, but not the same size as the 9.7-inch ipad, it produces new technical challenges. To make it retina, its resolution has to be 2048x1536, the same as the larger iPad. But no one makes a screen at that resolution in a 7.9-inch size. And the ppi of that will be 326, which is huge...and to keep to Apple's standards will require additional development. That is why these features weren't offered in the 1st gen iPad mini. So saying that its not quite there yet, means what? Was the 1st gen iPad quite there yet when it was introduced? What about the iPad 2, 3 and 4? What exactly does that mean? What Apple made was a device which gives the best experience possible at this point in time...and I think they have succeeded at that. To do anything more would have resulted in a poorer end user experience.

Regular iPads are having to hold in the hand for long period of time. Obviously, they can be toted around at ones side quite readily. But the usage patterned that has developed is known as "second screen". People use the iPad while sitting on the couch watching TV...that's when most people use their iPads. That what the iPad mini exceeds swimmingly at. I love the thing, frankly. I still use my 9.7 inch iPad every day, but mostly planted firmly on my desk in one or top stand modes. I also connect it to an overhead projector 5-days a week to deliver presentations on. It is wonderful for that. But as a second screen, it is giving me carpel tunnel syndrome...or was. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even form factor change has an impact. the touch has a screen the same size as an iPhone. Since the mini's screen is bigger, but not the same size as the 9.7-inch ipad, it produces new technical challenges. To make it retina, its resolution has to be 2048x1536, the same as the larger iPad. But no one makes a screen at that resolution in a 7.9-inch size. And the ppi of that will be 326, which is huge...and to keep to Apple's standards will require additional development. That is why these features weren't offered in the 1st gen iPad mini. So saying that its not quite there yet, means what? Was the 1st gen iPad quite there yet when it was introduced? What about the iPad 2, 3 and 4? What exactly does that mean? What Apple made was a device which gives the best experience possible at this point in time...and I think they have succeeded at that. To do anything more would have resulted in a poorer end user experience.

Regular iPads are having to hold in the hand for long period of time. Obviously, they can be toted around at ones side quite readily. But the usage patterned that has developed is known as "second screen". People use the iPad while sitting on the couch watching TV...that's when most people use their iPads. That what the iPad mini exceeds swimmingly at. I love the thing, frankly. I still use my 9.7 inch iPad every day, but mostly planted firmly on my desk in one or top stand modes. I also connect it to an overhead projector 5-days a week to deliver presentations on. It is wonderful for that. But as a second screen, it is giving me carpel tunnel syndrome...or was. :)

If holding a full-size iPad is problematic, a mini should be a great fix. The weight is amazing.

With iPad 3's intro, some users said they'd never go back to non-retina and made it sound like suddenly previous iPad screens were causing them eye troubles, though they hadn't mentioned such previously. Now with minis, some users complain about full-size iPad weights, when they hadn't previously. So I understand Mikey's question. I chalk it up to enthusiasm for a new product.

I've always said lighter would be better for iPads, and better screens would be great. But I can appreciate iPads in all their incarnations so far, and have no trouble using non-retina or retina. For me, mini iPad is not enough new tech compared with what's available in iPad 4. But the size sure is cute and tempting. If they freshen the mini's guts to iPad 3-4 level, I might get one the next go-around.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If holding a full-size iPad is problematic, a mini should be a great fix. The weight is amazing.

With iPad 3's intro, some users said they'd never go back to non-retina and made it sound like suddenly previous iPad screens were causing them eye troubles, though they hadn't mentioned such previously. Now with minis, some users complain about full-size iPad weights, when they hadn't previously. So I understand Mikey's question. I chalk it up to enthusiasm for a new product.

I've always said lighter would be better for iPads, and better screens would be great. But I can appreciate iPads in all their incarnations so far, and have no trouble using non-retina or retina. For me, mini iPad is not enough new tech compared with what's available in iPad 4. But the size sure is cute and tempting. If they freshen the mini's guts to iPad 3-4 level, I might get one the next go-around.

I think it is enthusiasm to a certain extent. And another part of it is that things just get lost in translation. For example, I've sat in the couch with my iPad 2 and 3 for many, many hours. I just put up with hand strain because it was better than all the alternatives (except the phone). And you learn to put it down from time to time. Then, you get this 7-inch thing from Google...and all of a sudden, there is a new standard to which to compare. Hey, comparatively, that 10-inch iPad is heavy! And I had heard others saying it was heavy and I refused to believe them, because I was then grooving on using my 10-inch iPad on the couch. So, just like anything, the old normals get replaced by the new. Now, I'm obviously not preferring to surf with my phone when I can surf with an iPad, but as long as I can see the screen, the mini is a better deal for that usage mode than the regular. As would be the GN7 or even your Note! Me, I'd still rather keep my phone small and use a tablet when I feel the need for a larger screen.

But I don't think Mikey's needs to feel as if his iPad is no longer any good. It's just as good as it always has been and if it is serving his needs, he should keeping using it. I not about to go tossing out my iPad 3. That screen is still fantastic. IMO, the mini cannot replace it, but I can do something better than the other.

For me, a 4 and a mini are different beasts. If I saw them as the same I would not be interested in both of them. We can't yet get a device with the 4s innards into a mini and have it perform well. So we have to wait and hope all the technical issues can be addressed to make such a device feasible. If it does happen, then I'm going to have a hard time justifying to myself to have the larger one. I know, the better screen is better for movies. I don't disagree. But my TV is really, really bigger and I will pick that over either of them. On travel, I can live with the 7.9 vs a 9.7 inch screen for the times when i'm watching movies. Both are compromises, so I just choose to go with the lighter one. I can see others making a different choice there, though.

I have to admit that if I didn't already have a retina iPad I would not get the mini as my first device. I would do just as you are doing and get the 4. This mini, while nice, is no match for the 4.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just glad we have various tablets to choose from, and can use what fits us best. Even if I don't buy a device, I'm happy that others find what they want.

I'm tempted by the mini and the new Galaxy Note, too. I'm talking myself out of buying either, though, like I talked myself out of buying a larger Samsung the other day at Fry's electronics. There are more toys available than time, lol.

What you say about new standards of comparison rings true, too. We recently gave away my husband's iPad 1 to someone who'd get better use out of it, because he used it only to stream radio while cooking. So he started using my old iPhone 3G to stream instead. I mentioned yesterday that I was getting an iPad 4 and he said he was glad because he'd like to use my iPad 1, because the 3G is slow and he has to wait like 10 seconds for the Web link he streams from to come up. Lol. We become spoiled or get used to new stuff, and our expectations rise. I remember how much I loved the 3G in its day, because it let me do so much compared to my previous phones.

I hadn't thought to offer him my iPad 1, because he used his so rarely. But if he ends up using it (we left his docked in the kitchen), then I might have excuse to buy something else, lol. Who knows, I might succumb and buy a mini, lol.

Most reactions