What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini 4... How many versions are there?

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As i am shopping online for a Mini 4 with WiFi + Cellular, I am seeing many different models. The A1550, the MNWQ2LL/A, and the MK882LL/A and so on. Very confusing but I know that there has to be a reason such as the amount of memory or RAM etc,, What I am looking for is a Mini 4 with cellular and the A8 processor with 2GB of RAM. The ROM storage is not that important as I mainly am going to use this iPad for flying my DJI Spark drone. The DJI Go 4 app apparently needs the best processor and highest RAM that I can get. I thought at first that the A1550 was the way to go but now I am confused on which one will best suit my needs. Would someone please point me towards my best choice or would any of these models fit the bill? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ignore the model numbers begining with ‘M’. These numbers are mostly used by Apple and manufactureres to track minor differences in model build and region. The “A” model numbers are used in stores and most publications. It changes based on the main model (iPad, iPad 1-4, iPad Air 1-2, iPad Mini) and the Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Cellular configurations. It does not change based on the amount of storage, memory, or color.

The A1550 is the newst iPad Mini available with Wi-Fi + Cellular. It is available with 128 GB of storage. All iPad Mini 4’s have 2 GB of RAM. There is no better iPad Mini available.

Keep in mind that the iPad Mini has not been updated for over two years. This means it is running an older, slower processor (A8) than the newest iPad and iPad Pro models (A10 and A10X). This is a significant increase in speed. The Pro Models also have more RAM, which allows for extended multitasking features.

Apple tends to announce new iPad modles at their WWDC event which will be the 4th of June this year. There is a small chance that Apple will annouce a new Mini, but a lot of people are betting that the Mini form factor is going to be abandoned. It’s hard to say. Apple rarely talks about future products.

If power is more important than size, you may want to reconsider the Mini as an option. Or wait until June to see if Apple suprises us with a new updated iPad Mini.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, I see, it’s a drone control app. I can see why the smaller size is preferable.

I thought it was a DJ (music) app.

And, you’re welcome.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ignore the model numbers begining with ‘M’. These numbers are mostly used by Apple and manufactureres to track minor differences in model build and region. The “A” model numbers are used in stores and most publications. It changes based on the main model (iPad, iPad 1-4, iPad Air 1-2, iPad Mini) and the Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Cellular configurations. It does not change based on the amount of storage, memory, or color.

The A1550 is the newst iPad Mini available with Wi-Fi + Cellular. It is available with 128 GB of storage. All iPad Mini 4’s have 2 GB of RAM. There is no better iPad Mini available.

Keep in mind that the iPad Mini has not been updated for over two years. This means it is running an older, slower processor (A8) than the newest iPad and iPad Pro models (A10 and A10X). This is a significant increase in speed. The Pro Models also have more RAM, which allows for extended multitasking features.

Apple tends to announce new iPad modles at their WWDC event which will be the 4th of June this year. There is a small chance that Apple will annouce a new Mini, but a lot of people are betting that the Mini form factor is going to be abandoned. It’s hard to say. Apple rarely talks about future products.

If power is more important than size, you may want to reconsider the Mini as an option. Or wait until June to see if Apple suprises us with a new updated iPad Mini.
Thank you very much for that information. I have never owned an Apple product but in the world of DJI products and what runs the DJI Go 4 app, the A1550 Mini 4 is the most revered mini tablet for flying most all DJI products. At least now I know to focus on finding one of the A1550 models unless you think that one of the other models can come close to the A1550 in serving my needs.. Thank you again for your time and valuable information.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, graywoulf’s reply, MSG #2 seems to have gone missing while I was typing mine; then reappeard as MSG #4.

(queue the theme from the Twilight Zone)

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, graywoulf’s reply, MSG #2 seems to have gone missing while I was typing mine; then reappeard as MSG #4.

(queue the theme from the Twilight Zone)
OK, now that I have that tune in my head. LoL! I was asking if you thought that there are any of the older Mini 4 models that would come close to the A1550 in what I aim to use it for. Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Given your requirements I would not recommend anything older than the A1550. The previous models had less RAM and slower processors. They are also going to stop getting updates sooner. You might be able to find some refurbished or old stock A1550’s still on the market. Some of the iPad Mini 4’s sold the first year they were availalbe came less storage. They should be cheaper.

If you never use the iPad Mini 4 for anything but your DJI Go 4, then the storage won’t be an issue. On the other hand, if you start finding other uses for it, you may soon regret not having a decent amount of storage. I wouldn’t buy anything less than 64 GB for myself. (I’m not sure if the iPad Mini 4 was ever offered in a 64 GB configuration).

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given your requirements I would not recommend anything older than the A1550. The previous models had less RAM and slower processors. They are also going to stop getting updates sooner. You might be able to find some refurbished or old stock A1550’s still on the market. Some of the iPad Mini 4’s sold the first year they were availalbe came less storage. They should be cheaper.

If you never use the iPad Mini 4 for anything but your DJI Go 4, then the storage won’t be an issue. On the other hand, if you start finding other uses for it, you may soon regret not having a decent amount of storage. I wouldn’t buy anything less than 64 GB for myself. (I’m not sure if the iPad Mini 4 was ever offered in a 64 GB configuration).
Thank you so much for your help with this. I had actually bought a Mini 4 A1550 on eBay. The seller sent me a Mini 3 instead. I have started the return and refund process as of today. I won't go into a long story about it but after you told me to look for an A1550 model, I have shopped eBay some more and I have found a 32GB one for $320 in "excellent" condition and a 128GB one in "very good" condition for $340, However, the 128GB one in the listing header says that it is an A1550 but the listing specs say that it is a MK772CL/A model and I cannot contact the seller to find out which one it is. I agree with you about the internal memory amount and there is a very good possibility that I will install more than one app in it so the more memory the better. I should not be in a hurry to make a decision on this but I want to fly my drone. My LG phone just does not work well due to video lag. Any continued input from you will be appreciated. Thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I said before, ignore the “M” model numbers. Each iPad has 2 model numbers. The “A” model number and the “M” model number. The first one is the one you care about. The second one is how Apple and the manufacturer track the iPad. The only time you would need it is if Apple asked for it during a service request.

You can see both model numbers on the iPad in Settings > General > About. Tapping the Model Number line toggles it between the “A” and “M” numbers. I believe you can see both model numbers on the orgiinal packaging. And, if you’ve got good eyes and good lighting, the “A” modle number is printed on the back of the iPad.

Here is Apple’s support page for identifying iPad models. You’ll notice there is no mention of the “M” model numbers. They are not important when idenifying the iPad’s capabilities.
Identify your iPad model

Note: iOS verisions before10 might not support the model number toggeling in Settings. I don’t remember that far back.

Last edited:
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said before, ignore the “M” model numbers. Each iPad has 2 model numbers. The “A” model number and the “M” model number. The first one is the one you care about. The second one is how Apple and the manufacturer track the iPad. The only time you would need it is if Apple asked for it during a service request.

You can see both model numbers on the iPad in Settings > General > About. Tapping the Model Number line toggles it between the “A” and “M” numbers. I believe you can see both model numbers on the orgiinal packaging. And, if you’ve got good eyes and good lighting, the “A” modle number is printed on the back of the iPad.

Here is Apple’s support page for identifying iPad models. You’ll notice there is no mention of the “M” model numbers. They are not important when idenifying the iPad’s capabilities.
Identify your iPad model

Note: iOS verisions before10 might not support the model number toggeling in Settings. I don’t remember that far back.
Thanks again for your help. So, in the case of the one that has the A1550 number as well as the "M" number the iPad in the listing is actually the A1550 model for sure and I can ignore the "M" number altogether. I think that my brain is finally wrapping itself around the concept thanks to you... and your patience with me. ;^) May I ask which then of the two iPads that I am looking at that you would choose based on just the memory and price. They both are unlocked by the way. If you want the links to the listings I can provide those if you feel like messing with it that is.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I would go with the 128 GB one. While you won’t need that much storage just to fly your drone, it may come in handy later. Also, it seems you’ll be saving and possibly editing video from the drone. 32 GB isn’t much space when you’re dealing with HD video.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would go with the 128 GB one. While you won’t need that much storage just to fly your drone, it may come in handy later. Also, it seems you’ll be saving and possibly editing video from the drone. 32 GB isn’t much space when you’re dealing with HD video.
So, you think it is worth that price? It is the only one left of the two that I told you about. The 32GB sold already.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That’s up to you. Is saving $59 ($399 - $340) worth not having Apple’s warrantee? If the first owner bought the iPad Mini 4 less than a year ago, there will still be some warantee left, but not the full 1 year’s worth.

If you’re expecting to see huge saving on a used iPad, you’re probably going to be disappointed. They hold their value well, especially when it’s still a selling model.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That’s up to you. Is saving $59 ($399 - $340) worth not having Apple’s warrantee? If the first owner bought the iPad Mini 4 less than a year ago, there will still be some warantee left, but not the full 1 year’s worth.

If you’re expecting to see huge saving on a used iPad, you’re probably going to be disappointed. They hold their value well, especially when it’s still a selling model.
I agree with you as far as the warranty goes but I can not afford a brand new one. I went ahead on the $349.00 one. With the max of 128GB storage I will not have to worry about things like editing as you pointed out. Now to explore which apps will best suit my needs in that area. As far as resale value on these goes, I am amazed that I found one with cellular and that much ROM for that price. I was seeing them at prices I could not believe. Oh yeah, FYI I needed the cellular model for the GPS feature. I has to do with maps and tracking in the DJI app. And now I get to explore the world of Apple for the first time as well. My adventure awaits. And thanks again for all of your help. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree with you as far as the warranty goes but I can not afford a brand new one. I went ahead on the $349.00 one. With the max of 128GB storage I will not have to worry about things like editing as you pointed out. Now to explore which apps will best suit my needs in that area. As far as resale value on these goes, I am amazed that I found one with cellular and that much ROM for that price. I was seeing them at prices I could not believe. Oh yeah, FYI I needed the cellular model for the GPS feature. I has to do with maps and tracking in the DJI app. And now I get to explore the world of Apple for the first time as well. My adventure awaits. And thanks again for all of your help. :)

No problem. Please let us know how it goes.

Most reactions

Latest posts