What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I "piggyback" my wifi only mini to go online via my Ipad cellular

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am going on holiday later this year to a holiday park where wifi will not be available in the accommodation.

I have an original Ipad cellular model as well as a wifi only original mini ipad.

Is it possible to get online to use my wifi only original mini ipad somehow using my original Ipad cellular as a "gateway"?

Forgive me if I am not using the correct terminology

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If by original iPad cellular model you mean the iPad from 2010, then no, you can't use it as a WiFi hotspot for your iPad mini. You need at least an iPad 3 to use it as a personal hotspot.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am going on holiday later this year to a holiday park where wifi will not be available in the accommodation.

I have an original Ipad cellular model as well as a wifi only original mini ipad.

Is it possible to get online to use my wifi only original mini ipad somehow using my original Ipad cellular as a "gateway"?

Well, I'm assuming that you do not have a phone that can establish a Wi-Fi hotspot? Just another suggestion (and not sure about the UK options) is to use a Mi-Fi Hotspot - a little device that takes a cellular signal and converts into a local hotspot - some of the companies may offer a 'pay as you go' billing plan rather that monthly charges. Dave :)

OP
Elizellen

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If by original iPad cellular model you mean the iPad from 2010, then no, you can't use it as a WiFi hotspot for your iPad mini. You need at least an iPad 3 to use it as a personal hotspot.
rats!!

Well, I'm assuming that you do not have a phone that can establish a Wi-Fi hotspot? Just another suggestion (and not sure about the UK options) is to use a Mi-Fi Hotspot - a little device that takes a cellular signal and converts into a local hotspot - some of the companies may offer a 'pay as you go' billing plan rather that monthly charges. Dave :)
Thanks for the suggestion, Dave.
I'll look into that option

Most reactions

Latest posts