What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad in graduate school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjaruski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brand spanking new to both the iPad and the forums, so please forgive any faux-pas that I might make.

I'm in graduate school right now and I use a MacBook Pro for my work computing, and I recently purchased a 4th gen iPad to replace the Acer Aspire that I was using for my classes. What I would like to do is use my iPad to maintain all of my gradebooks and such for the courses that I'm teaching as well as use it to view all the electronic resources offered by my courses. To this end, I'm looking for some specific apps.

I need a dedicated PDF reader that will allow me to annotate, bookmark, and highlight text within the PDF as well as complete and save forms on the iPad. I'd like to be able to store the PDFs locally on the iPad and transfer them via USB connection to the device.

I am looking for a Word Document reader/editor. Editing is not as important as reading the documents: I simply need to be able to read the documents on the device without the formatting being corrupted. Additionally, I would like a similar application for excel spreadsheets.

I am also looking for a notetaking application. I tried evernote on my Acer and was not pleased with it, though this might be a result of the android release. I'm hoping to have a notetaking application that supports multiple notebooks and synchs with my MacBook

Finally, I am currently using TeacherTools as my gradebook app: I'm about to start using it as we speak. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments regarding the application or suggestions for new apps for grading papers.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great intro-good luck with Graduate School!

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to:

iPad Accessories |iPad Help|iPad Hacking | iPad Games | iPad for Business and Education | Special Needs iPad Forum | iPad for Health Forum

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0, 5.1 & 6.0:*
Connecting to the iTunes Store.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide-for-ios-6/id563272542?mt=11

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ninjaruski said:
Hi everyone,

I'm brand spanking new to both the iPad and the forums, so please forgive any faux-pas that I might make.

I'm in graduate school right now and I use a MacBook Pro for my work computing, and I recently purchased a 4th gen iPad to replace the Acer Aspire that I was using for my classes. What I would like to do is use my iPad to maintain all of my gradebooks and such for the courses that I'm teaching as well as use it to view all the electronic resources offered by my courses. To this end, I'm looking for some specific apps.

I need a dedicated PDF reader that will allow me to annotate, bookmark, and highlight text within the PDF as well as complete and save forms on the iPad. I'd like to be able to store the PDFs locally on the iPad and transfer them via USB connection to the device.

I am looking for a Word Document reader/editor. Editing is not as important as reading the documents: I simply need to be able to read the documents on the device without the formatting being corrupted. Additionally, I would like a similar application for excel spreadsheets.

I am also looking for a notetaking application. I tried evernote on my Acer and was not pleased with it, though this might be a result of the android release. I'm hoping to have a notetaking application that supports multiple notebooks and synchs with my MacBook

Finally, I am currently using TeacherTools as my gradebook app: I'm about to start using it as we speak. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments regarding the application or suggestions for new apps for grading papers.

For both annotating pdfs and handwritten notes you can't go wrong with GoodNotes. I have tried most of the front runners, and I have found that GoodNotes leads the pack. Not that there isn't room for improvement, but IMHO the best available.

emwebb8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Idk I really like iAnnotate PDF. It does everything from highlighting texts, placing notes, writing on a document, and also allows you to search the web through the app for downloading documents. I haven't found anything I need that it doesn't do!

Tiike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodNotes? I'll have to take another look - I found it rather useless, maybe I dddid something wrong :)

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoodNotes? I'll have to take another look - I found it rather useless, maybe I dddid something wrong :)

As the previous poster mentioned, iAnnotate is a great app too, but for my handwriting oriented needs Good Notes is much better. I use MathBot (Tex oriented) to make equations and Inkpad to makd drawings, and import them into Good Notes. Particularly for technical work, this combination is hard (maybe impossible) to beat!

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Tuttle

I agree with your suggestions. But why Inkpad for drawings? What can it do that GoodNotes can't? Btw, I use Note Taker HD and iDraw. I just discovered GoodNotes, it's great. I haven't finished my rigorous comparo of of GN and NTHD yet. Will post it up later if you want.

I use Formula for equations. It's a silly little app that I've become accustomed to.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Tuttle

I agree with your suggestions. But why Inkpad for drawings? What can it do that GoodNotes can't? Btw, I use Note Taker HD and iDraw. I just discovered GoodNotes, it's great. I haven't finished my rigorous comparo of of GN and NTHD yet. Will post it up later if you want.

I use Formula for equations. It's a silly little app that I've become accustomed to.

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. I lost track of the thread!

Inkpad is a full fledged vector graphics app, whereas GoodNotes only offers very simple drawing tools. Inkpad is much easier to use than the other drawing apps I have seen and tested. Really easy to use. Unfortunately, the developer seems to have gone out of business. No upgrades since Denny was a dinosaur!

l.j.scorpio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hi Ninjaruski, i note that this post was written some time ago and wonder if you ever found anything that worked well for you? Particularly in relation to annotating pdf's and sharing those documents? I am a PhD student and looking into buying the Ipad Pro with pencil so as I can use a pdf and the screen as though I actually had the print copy in my hand. That way I can make notes and access them on other sites without the need for paper. My other big concern is that they must be readable on a PC since they are the only other devices I will have access to.

Thanks for any recommendations. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Ninjaruski, i note that this post was written some time ago and wonder if you ever found anything that worked well for you? Particularly in relation to annotating pdf's and sharing those documents? I am a PhD student and looking into buying the Ipad Pro with pencil so as I can use a pdf and the screen as though I actually had the print copy in my hand. That way I can make notes and access them on other sites without the need for paper. My other big concern is that they must be readable on a PC since they are the only other devices I will have access to.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As you've already noted, the OP posted 4 1/2 years ago and has only 1 post, thus has never returned and will not respond to your questions above.

First, there are plenty of threads in the forum on the use of PDF apps in iOS and their integration w/ other operating systems, so a search might help. Second, I would suggest that you open your own 'new' thread and use the post above for a start. Good luck - Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Being as this thread is over 4 years old and procedures and capabilities have changed so much in the intervening years, this thread is now closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts