What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

School network + iPad = trouble?

Monarc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Introducing my issue with an anecdote from much earlier today.

This morning I brought my iPad 2 into the "tech room" in my high school library, and met the IT guy for the first time. I politely explained that I wanted to use my new iPad for schoolwork and typing papers to iCloud with my keyboard, as I had in middle school, and that I needed access to the "Student" network. He said bluntly, "we are not putting your iPad on the network." I quietly walked out, cursing him in my head. Later in civics class my teacher, very laid back, let me use my iPad to make a keynote. I pulled out one of the Macbooks and in spite, copied the registered DNS settings and Router ID, IPv6, etc. into the network.

After the second try it worked, I was on to the heavily restricted student network "without permission," I suppose you could say.

Will this be a problem -- can they see I'm on the network? Thanks!

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see why they wouldn't let you use the network, except for using it for facebook/etc.
About the student network:I'm not an expert on this. I believe there are utilities to monitor network traffic etc, and also checking network status lights, but since there will be numerous people on the network, I think you might be ok, unless there's some sort of network utility to monitor it. Be careful, and don't get caught!

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Introducing my issue with an anecdote from much earlier today.

This morning I brought my iPad 2 into the "tech room" in my high school library, and met the IT guy for the first time. I politely explained that I wanted to use my new iPad for schoolwork and typing papers to iCloud with my keyboard, as I had in middle school, and that I needed access to the "Student" network. He said bluntly, "we are not putting your iPad on the network." I quietly walked out, cursing him in my head. Later in civics class my teacher, very laid back, let me use my iPad to make a keynote. I pulled out one of the Macbooks and in spite, copied the registered DNS settings and Router ID, IPv6, etc. into the network.

After the second try it worked, I was on to the heavily restricted student network "without permission," I suppose you could say.

Will this be a problem -- can they see I'm on the network? Thanks!

Did you ask why they didn't want to allow it? there is probably a reason they don't want your iPad on the network.

If your school's IT department are remotely competent then yes, they can see your iPad is connected if they really care about it. That being said I would strongly recommend you not use your iPad on the school network without permission. It's probably a violation of the school's AUP to connect unauthorized devices to the network and could get you in trouble.

Most reactions

Latest posts