What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad for photographers

bryanabernathy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my first Ipad over the weekend. I do some real estate photography and am hoping to use it to view photos as I shoot them because I don't have the luxury of going back for a 2nd shoot. Is there a app to wirelessly and without Wifi transmit the photos as I shoot them directly to the ipad? I'm trying to use the Eye-Fi Pro X2 card but haven't been successful.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know the Eye-Fi is the only option... wirelessly that is. Your best bet is to head over to the Eye-fi forums and maybe someone can help you work out the issues.

BigTex71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my first Ipad over the weekend. I do some real estate photography and am hoping to use it to view photos as I shoot them because I don't have the luxury of going back for a 2nd shoot. Is there a app to wirelessly and without Wifi transmit the photos as I shoot them directly to the ipad? I'm trying to use the Eye-Fi Pro X2 card but haven't been successful.

:confused:
So do you mean BlueTooth and/or IR?

Those are the only other wireless transmissions I know of for iPad besides WiFi (and 3G data.)

I believe the camera connection kit will allow you to hook it up (wired) and see instant from the camera (if your camera supports that feature.)

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a search on google, there is a way to use the eyefi card to send photos wirelessly to an ipad which is creating it's own local wifi hotspot. No wifi router required so you can use it anywhere.

From memory you need to jailbreak the iPad to allow the wifi hotspot to work, then you use an app called shuttersnitch to capture the shots as you take them.

If you can't do that then maybe just transfer the shots with the camera connection kit?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum by the way!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes there is the AirStash but he specifically said "transmit the photos as I shoot them directly to the ipad". With the AirStash don't you have to take the SD card out of the camera and put it into the AirStash to transmit the pictures to the iPad? If that's the case for what he is doing the $30 camera connection kit would be a lot cheaper.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes there is the AirStash but he specifically said "transmit the photos as I shoot them directly to the ipad". With the AirStash don't you have to take the SD card out of the camera and put it into the AirStash to transmit the pictures to the iPad? If that's the case for what he is doing the $30 camera connection kit would be a lot cheaper.

That's true, but the air stash will work on any computer with WiFi, not just the iPad and you don't need to carry any cords etc. (I watched three movies from mine on a long plane flight last week and never took it out of my pocket)

You can also have about five people hooked to it at the same time.

Last edited:

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I agree it does have many other benefits and it's like having an external hard drive for more storage. Do you by chance know what the max size fo the SD card you can use is? And how long does the AirStash hold a charge for?

Last edited:

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I agree it does have many other benefits and it's like having an external hard drive for more storage. Do you by chance know what the max size fo the SD card you can use is? And how long does the AirStash hold a charge for?

Maximum size is 32 gig for now (so an external hard drive has the advantage there)and lasts over 5 hours on a charge.

I bought two 3 packs of 32 gig cards on sale really cheap last week at staples (I don't remember the exact price)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just saw an article the other day that said the Eye-Fi had been updated so that it could create it's own ad-hock wireless network. Once the iPad joins this network you should be able to use the Eye-Fi app with your iPad to transfer files. You may need the latest firmware update to do this.

You could also just get the Camera Connection kit and carry around the kind and iPad cable to transfer files. More to carry, but a very fast transfer compared to most WiFi solutions.

Let me see if I can find the Eye-Fi article.

Found it: Eye-Fi connects to iPhone, gets more useful | Camera Accessories | Mac Word | Macworld

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if eye-fi is any easier to set up than it used to be.

I set stuff like this up all the time (I'm a network administrator) and I had an absolute nightmare of a time getting this setup to work for my boss a while back.

I did get it working eventually, but it definitely wasn't for the faint of heart........

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eye Fi

is limited to 4 gig.

Eye-Fi Share Video 4GB Wireless SDHC Card - effortlessly save & share photos and videos | Eye-Fi

Air stash is limited to 32 gig.

AirStashâ„¢: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

Hyper drive is limited to 750 gig

HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA (750GB version)

It all depends on how much you want to spend and what your needs are. All indications are that eye fi are fussy at best. But, at $40, they are the cheapest and smallest capacity solution. Next up would be Air Stash at around $100 plus the card(s) of your choice. Most expensive is the Hyperdrive at $600 but that also becomes an off camera off lap top storage device.

It all really depends upon what your goals (and budget) dictate.

Most reactions

Latest posts