What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How hard would it be.....

Bill-fl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not an app developer. I just have an app I want. Could just be an existing app (the built in photo app) with one small upgrade. Me and many photographers I know want to be able to attach our cameras via USB with the camera connection kit to review images on the camera with our clients, currently, there are no apps that do this. The existing photo app sees the images, but will only display them as thumbnails until they are imported. We don't want to import them, just view them. There is one app that allows for viewing and controlling the camera remotely, however it has to be running on a computer with the iPad or iPhone connected via wifi. We often do not have wifi available were we shoot. And if I had to shoot tethered to the other computer anyway, why would I need the iPad to review the images, they would be on the computer. Basically, we just want the client to be able to see the images on the larger screen ofmthe iPad rather than on the dslr.

Thanks.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you want to view them as you snap them? Otherwise, taking the memory card out of your camera and using the camera connection kit (either the SD card viewer, or a card reader in the USB port) should do what you desire I think.

OP
B

Bill-fl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. After a shoot, I want to use the iPad as a screen to review the images captured. If I use the sd card or the USB connector from the camera connection kit, the photo app starts and shows me all of the images on the card, thumbnail sized. You can not make them full screen sized unless you import them. I just want to be able to view them without importing them.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I dont think there are any public API's that would allow this. I'll look into it after I get off of work and get home.

if that turns out to be the case it would mean this could only be done via jailbroken apps.

dennisparrott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. After a shoot, I want to use the iPad as a screen to review the images captured. If I use the sd card or the USB connector from the camera connection kit, the photo app starts and shows me all of the images on the card, thumbnail sized. You can not make them full screen sized unless you import them. I just want to be able to view them without importing them.

For the iPad to show you a full-sized picture, it has to copy the data from the camera/flash card to its internal memory, process it into something you can see on the screen and only then can you see the full picture.

That sounds pretty much like an import...

If I understand what you're saying, you want to touch a thumbnail and view it without making it a part of your collection in the photos app. Correct?

Sounds like an interesting idea... I wonder if you can program around the code that runs the cam connect kit?

OP
B

Bill-fl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is exactly what I want to do. I want to be able to enlarge the image to full screen size while previewing it, before importing it.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would also be great for tethered shooting. Snap a picture and instead of viewing the picture on camera have the image shown on the ipad to see if exposure and focus are right.

OP
B

Bill-fl

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As I said in the original post, we often do not have a wifi available on location shoots. And, as I said before, I do not want the images stored on the iPad. At a given shoot, I might take 350 frames, but will only retouch and edit 3 or 4 for my client. I do not want to put 350 images on the iPad when only a handful will be used. I just want to be able to review them. I have looked at some of the dual monitor apps and wondered if they might work, but again, all of them were only useable via network.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, like stated. Tethered shooting would be awesome. Have a live-view for better framing right on the ipad and then maybe even release the shutter from within the app to avoid camera shake. And after that, being able to review the shots from the cameras memory and just copy the ones you're after. And maybe all that with just hooking up the cameras usb to the camera connection kit.

OP
B

Bill-fl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called apple tech today. I asked if was doing something wrong, that I could not full screen preview before importing. The tech thought it should do it as well. Put me on hold for a while, came back and said several tried, checked with senior techs and they couldn't do it, said it could be made an enhancement at a later date. Told me to go to apple.com/feedback and request it. I did. He said the more similar requests they get, that is what the developers would work on. For all you app writers/developers, I am sure this would be a great seller. :)

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Apple blocks the app from being able to access the data on the camera connection kit location.
Each app has its own folder and can only access files inside that folder.

camera connection kit files get mounted to "/var/mnt/mount1/"

If the ipad were jailbroken you could do this.

Most reactions

Latest posts