What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad for 76 year old Mom

cruiser59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any reason a 4G IPad could not be used as the only computer for my mom. She would not have wireless but would use the cellular only about 3G per month. She would only be looking at web pages no music, or streaming.
Also would it be better on the iPad 2 so it wouldn't use the data as fast on the 4g speed?

Thanks!

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the iPad 2 would be amazing for your mum.
It's so easy to read the screen,surf the net and send and receive emails
Just think of all that fun she will have buying and borrowing books and watching tv and movies.
Lucky lady.

L

Lunar

Any of the iPads would be a good choice for your Mom, I'm 68 myself, but possibly a little more tech savvy, having a history of 30yrs in computers..lol, but yes I think your Mom would find it easy to use, especially so if just used for web browsing ect. though, there may be slightly cheaper options.

If used purely on 3G though, I think it may get a little frustrating waiting for pages to load, I regard 3G certainly here in the UK, as being a addon where I can access the web albeit rather slowly. I certainly don't think I'd be very satisified if I had to rely totally on 3G for everything, in fact I doubt in my case I would even bother..lol

Why can't she have a normal connection & router, which obviously would be cheaper too? does' she not have a phone line?

So, no probs with choosing iPad, as their so easy to use.... but 3G only.. her new online experience is not going to be overly impressive. :-(

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad 2 could definitely be the way to go. I do a lot of low-light reading and the iPad 3, however a great screen, doesn't have the contrast as the 2 when screen brightness is at min. For "older" eyes the 2 could prove better.

On the other side, if she wears reading glasses (I don't, yet,,,) the crisper screen could prove to be easier read.

As for 3G vs 4G/LTE, does she live in an area that has LTE? If not, there is little difference between 3G and 4G. But, if LTE is usable in her house, it's a way better experience than 3/4G. And given her use, data use will be no different than 3G etc - just way faster page loads.

Bottom line, if $100 was the only thing separating me from the iPad 2 and 3, get the 3. The performance increase alone makes for a much better experience, even if just surfing the Internet or handling emails/pictures etc.

Cheers

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say it depends. The iPad is by far the easiest tablet to manage and would be easier than a computer to use. However I can just imagine myself trying to teach my 81yr old grandma how to use an iPad and pulling all my hair out in the process. :).

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
I would say it depends. The iPad is by far the easiest tablet to manage and would be easier than a computer to use. However I can just imagine myself trying to teach my 81yr old grandma how to use an iPad and pulling all my hair out in the process. :).

LOL. :). That's me and my father. He's in his mid 70s and has only been using a personal PC for the past 10 years. But he loves gadgets. I'm like his 24 hour IT help desk. I've basically set his house PC/wifi identical to mine equipment and config wise just so it's easy to manage from 2200 miles away... :). What's worse is I'm no PC / LAN master either. We laugh a lot but always get it done.

Dad could very easily be the recipient of my 1st gen iPad now that I have the "3".

Cheers

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Years ago, I gave my Mom an iPod Touch for a music player to use in the home we moved her into. I did a lot of research to find the best way to provide her with a source of music. It was very successful and if I could get him to make the switch, my Dad would have an iPad today to replace his old Dell computer.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My mom turned 87 in February and a couple years ago she had basically given up on reading until I introduced her to my iPad! Then she got the iPad 2 and Tuesday she is scheduled to receive her iPad 3 and I agree with the poster who said that the text crispness alone is reason enough to get the iPad 3 over the iPad 2 for an elderly person who struggles with eyesight!

My mom probably reads an average of 6-8 hours a day now and does email and crossword puzzles. I almost forgot sometimes she just has the world's most expensive solitaire game as well!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Years ago, I gave my Mom an iPod Touch for a music player to use in the home we moved her into. I did a lot of research to find the best way to provide her with a source of music. It was very successful and if I could get him to make the switch, my Dad would have an iPad today to replace his old Dell computer.

My mom turned 87 in February and a couple years ago she had basically given up on reading until I introduced her to my iPad! Then she got the iPad 2 and Tuesday she is scheduled to receive her iPad 3 and I agree with the poster who said that the text crispness alone is reason enough to get the iPad 3 over the iPad 2 for an elderly person who struggles with eyesight!

My mom probably reads an average of 6-8 hours a day now and does email and crossword puzzles. I almost forgot sometimes she just has the world's most expensive solitaire game as well!

Seadog and Mickeylittle:

I loved reading about your parents and how they love their iPods/iPads! Great posts-my mom will definitely be getting either the iPad 2 or then new one. We haven't decided yet, but this is a great thread to help us decide.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dad is 77. I'm thinking of telling him to get himself an iPad 2 16GB with Applecare +. I'm not sure I can justify telling him to get the new iPad. He's not going to be playing anything but causal games, doing email, web, and maybe facebook. This will be replacing the netbooks he's been using over the last 3 or 4 years.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad first gen and it almost completely 90% what I use first before my laptop. I only use my laptop for extensive reports. IPad for everything else. I love seeing older people using the iPad, but sadly most are on fixed incomes and wouldn't spend the money.

Smooth65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting my parents (dad 77 mom 73) the New IPad. They've completely taken over my 2. He says that this is much better than the old typewriter with the ribbon!

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most old folks are intimidated by computers and don't know how to use them. I tell mine they would be surprised by how easy Apple products, especially the iPad is.

intro2ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend here in my office did exactly that with her 80 something mother who'd never used a PC before. She can send an receive email, look at photos and download apps. She still needed help, but it went smoother than I thought it would (I set it up for her).

Most reactions

Latest posts