What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad drops wifi connection

nickwebster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
My ipad2 keeps dropping the wi-fi connection. I renew the lease in settings to get it back but it keeps going this every so often. I don't think there's a problem with the router as laptop and iPod touch don't drop connection in the same way.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
Nick

Owl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Nick, I'm glad you are asking this question because I have the very same problem. All the other computers do just fine but my iPad drops off every 10-15 minutes. I simply turn the WiFi off on it and then back on. That solves the problem 'til the next time it drops off.

OP
N

nickwebster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Owl said:
Hi Nick, I'm glad you are asking this question because I have the very same problem. All the other computers do just fine but my iPad drops off every 10-15 minutes. I simply turn the WiFi off on it and then back on. That solves the problem 'til the next time it drops off.

Yes, exactly the same. You can renew lease as an option under the wifi which may save you a few seconds but it's still very annoying.

OP
N

nickwebster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's an ipad2. And I think the os is the latest.

No worries, Nick. Continue.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

nickstock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if it's only at home you could try setting a fixed ip ( you will have to know a bit about networks to do this)
By doing that your iPad becomes less dependant on what your router is telling it.
You could reboot your router ( might be worth a shot)
If your all backed up then a restore might solve it.

Sent from my iPad2

Porshe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does the same. It is a big PITA to keep reseting.

Wonder what apple can do or do they know about this or do they care?

It is getting old and I would like to see it fixed.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the occasional problem with dropping out also.
Mine is definitely a location problem
In a remote pacific region and the wi fi is only so so.
Just grateful to have it at all

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi guys

yeah i get this too sometimes - wifi signal looks strong still but safari etc just dies - so need to turn wifi setting off/on to sort - or reboot it sometimes

was a bit unhappy when it stopped at the end of an iplayer prog i was watching :/

maybe an ios5 fix :)

cheers
dan

lauramacky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem as well. After trying renewing lease and the other things mentioned here, I went to the apple store for help. They had me back up my iPad on my computer by syncing it and then I did a total restart. After that I synced the iPad to my computer to bring back all my iPad stuff and the problem was fixed.

howell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This issue drives me nuts. We need this fixed and more granular controls of WiFi. For instance, my iPad grabs other floors routers instead of the current floor I'm on. Why not just let me prioritize which should be selected based on geolocation, time, signal strength, etc.

jinxx00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been having this problem too. Googled it and 1 suggestion said this happens to some people after they have done a software update? Solution was to go to settings, wi fi, select the relevant network and use "forget this network". After it removes the info then proceed to re-recognise the network. Apparently it has fixed the problem for some people. Am yet to try it - trying to locate the password/code I need! Let me know if it helps anyone please!

laura331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure about credit card information in setting cellular data will help you connect to the internet because there is not such thing in the cellular data.

1. Try to test your wifil connection in Settings/Wifi
2. Ask your 3G service for setting information with 3G.

bbecker70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does this constantly and is driving me nuts! Normally, after it drops, it will bring up the available networks within range and I can choose my wifi and it reconnects with no problem. But sometimes it will ask me to reenter my wep password. This really was a problem since it's a fairly long pw. I figured out a shortcut in case anyone else is having this prob. Using notepad type in your wep pw and then copy it using the highlight function. Now every time it asks me to reenter the pw I simply tap once on the line and use the paste function. I just rebooted my iPad and it still had the pw copied. So this is what I do until apple fixes this.

gplain58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 (64/3G) drops wifi

I too had the same problem. An amigo here in Madrid told me to try to reset all settings. I did this by going into settings (general) and at bottom hit the reset for all settings. Worked like a champ...he said that he had similar problems with his iPhone and an apple employee told him that it could be induced by an application that failed to load properly..??...FYI ... He said this procedure fixed his brand new iPhone 4 as well for not charging properly ....

Most reactions

Latest posts