What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Converter - Handbrake

OP
F

faisj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to store the movie (files) on the laptop without having them on your laptop?

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It can rip dvds to 720p and 1080p video, just pretty beautiful for playback on my iPad.

iPad can't display either of those resolutons, so what's the point of using the extra bandwidth required to achieve them?

720p yes 1080p no.

Actually no to both, unless you're using a non-standard 720p resolution as your reference.

True 720p resolution is 1280x720. iPad can't achieve that. It can process the video at that resolution, but to display it on the native screen it will be downscaled. Downscaling = wasted bandwidth.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know handbrake is free and most people are looking for that route...but Nero Recode has worked SO much better for me.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know handbrake is free and most people are looking for that route...but Nero Recode has worked SO much better for me.

Including modern, copy-protected DVDs? Ever had a "fail" with it?

I want somethign that "just works".

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I haven't had a single fail with it, but most of my ripping is done with AVI files. I can look and see if I have any newer DVDs to use and get back to you, but I can tell you that AVI files that failed on convert with Handbrake (it would just say "Handbrake has stopped working" and crashed) convert perfectly with recode.

It is also faster, nicer, and less confusing.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I haven't had a single fail with it, but most of my ripping is done with AVI files. I can look and see if I have any newer DVDs to use and get back to you, but I can tell you that AVI files that failed on convert with Handbrake (it would just say "Handbrake has stopped working" and crashed) convert perfectly with recode.

I finally ripped the Avatar DVD (not bluray) using DVD43 along with DVD Decrypter. Converted it with Handbrake using the universal preset and it looks very good.

SPC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What settings are you guys using with Recode when converting a ripped DVD TS file for the pad?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never ripped a DVD with it only avi files. When i get home i can tell you what i use

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

A test with a new DVD would be awesome. I'm failing at every turn to reliably rip a recent, copy protected DVD.

I'll not name names, but I'm now trying with my FIFTH DVD ripping software. Old DVDs, no problem, new ones - not so much.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A test with a new DVD would be awesome. I'm failing at every turn to reliably rip a recent, copy protected DVD.

I'll not name names, but I'm now trying with my FIFTH DVD ripping software. Old DVDs, no problem, new ones - not so much.
Have you tried MakeMKV? It rips (removes the copy protection) and saves the video to your HD in MKV format. You can then use Handbrake to encode it to an iPad friendly format.

MakeMKV is available for Mac and PC. BTW, it will also rip Blueray discs but you have to purchase the program (after the trial period). They say DVD ripping will always be free.

I have used the Mac version to rip both DVDs and Bluerays. IMHO, it works well.

Most reactions

Latest posts