What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handbrake Questions

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 4 and decided to put a couple of movies on it using Handbrake...I used the default settings and selected iPad. I already had a couple of movies backed on my computer as ISO files so I used that as my source.

Anyway Handbrake worked great but I'm curious why one movie ended up as a m4v file and the other as a mp4 file when the conversion settings were the same? Both played fine on my iPad 4 so would they both play on a iPad 3 or Mini also?

Noticed in Handbrake that there was a separate setting for iPad and Apple TV 1,2,3 does that mean a movie converted using the iPad setting wouldn't play on Apple TV?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All my Handbrake files come out as .M4V files.. I've never seen any other format pop up.. Perhaps someone else can shed light on this..

If you look at the device settings on Handbrake, you'll see that all they adjust is the scaling.. This is to make them match the native resolution that they are meant to display.... So, iPod Touch gives you 480x272 pixel movies, iPad gives you 1280x720 movies and the high resolution Apple 3 TV is 1920x1080... You should be able to play the converted files on any of the listed devices. But if you choose a resolution that is less than what the device supports, it won't look as good... Going the same or higher will look better.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my Handbrake files come out as .M4V files.. I've never seen any other format pop up.. Perhaps someone else can shed light on this..

Strange I converted again the movie that came out as a .MP4 the first time and this time it came out as a .M4V...at least I know now they should come out as the latter.

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 4 and decided to put a couple of movies on it using Handbrake...I used the default settings and selected iPad. I already had a couple of movies backed on my computer as ISO files so I used that as my source.

Anyway Handbrake worked great but I'm curious why one movie ended up as a m4v file and the other as a mp4 file when the conversion settings were the same? Both played fine on my iPad 4 so would they both play on a iPad 3 or Mini also?

Noticed in Handbrake that there was a separate setting for iPad and Apple TV 1,2,3 does that mean a movie converted using the iPad setting wouldn't play on Apple TV?

I quit using handbrake a few years back. It couldn't adequately mitigate the DVD encryption stuff. I went to dvdfab
No regrets.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I quit using handbrake a few years back. It couldn't adequately mitigate the DVD encryption stuff. I went to dvdfab
No regrets.

Handbrake is not meant to deal with encryption, purely conversion. Most users rip their DVDs to their hard drive with another tool before converting with Handbrake, and depending on the tool, it may deal with any encryption beforehand.

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake is not meant to deal with encryption, purely conversion. Most users rip their DVDs to their hard drive with another tool before converting with Handbrake, and depending on the tool, it may deal with any encryption beforehand.

I didn't like having 2-3 different tools to rip and convert my DVDs. I wanted one solution and be done.
No worries

Most reactions

Latest posts