What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Concealed Carry

Grinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any ideas how to keep an iPad with you, without it being the center of attention? They don't hide very well.

If it's closed in its apple case on a table or bar, I put my keys and cell phone on it. That's as close to hiding it as I can get so far.

I know this is a pointless topic, but it's a slow sunday... Any thoughts?

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, get a "hard candy case" (a name brand) many of their cases look like small business portfolios...besides. Trying to hide a sexy little thing like an iPad is more than a notion. Good luck...it will be an ardent task! ;-/

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As perfect as the iPad is for travel usages, it is difficult to carry at this time. Women have the advantage of being able to carry one in an appropriate purse and not be noticed. Men have to carry it in a notepad type carrier, briefcase, or a 'man bag' type carrier. None of those are really great options. If you are young enough, a knapsack is allowable, but middle aged dudes not wearing suits just look out of place with any of the options.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A folio case disguises it well enough for me while walking down the street. I wouldn't leave it unattended in public, though.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depends on where you live ..a lot of people i see who are socalled middlle age in the large urban centers have a day pack with them a lot of times to carry things around as it need ..

when i lived in New York city i carried a daypack with me all the time and it was a common sight on the subway to see people with daypacks or type of bags with them all the time in diff dress from suit and tie to guy who was going to the library in jeans and t-shirt and tennis shoes ..

it really depends where you at the time for carrying of some type of shoulder bag ..when i travel around a large urban place i just flip the bag and wear it in front of me to keep better control of it if iam going on the subway or other forms of public transport or iam somewhere i do not feel as comfortable as i should when walking down the sidewalk to a job

OP
G

Grinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are young enough, a knapsack is allowable, but middle aged dudes not wearing suits just look out of place with any of the options.

I agree. I think the problem with the black apple case is that it looks like a business portfolio. Not a cool thing to bring to the local bar to watch a baseball game on TV, even though having MLB At Bat available makes the game more fun.

I think I need a cooler case. Then I'll just rock the thing in plain sight. Today wearing flip flops and shorts carrying a black business looking thing felt weird.

To the accessories forum I go... Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

dmittleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it is me?

I took it to the gym today and had it in front of me on the elliptical machine. Maybe it is the way I look, but it attracted no attention. (A cute woman might have had a very different experience).

I have a bluetooth headset, so I listened to music AND surfed news while working out. Then I went over to a treadmill, set it to talk at 2mph, and answered email while still listening to music.

It was a very nice experience overall.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gyms are a lot different than eateries/coffee shops. My understanding is that you do not socialize with other patrons at gyms without knowing them first, or it would be conscrued wrong.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I have had a number of strangers ask me about it. And way more co-workers. I tried to use it to take notes, while observing an After School program (I know I should have known better) but I had to go put it away because I was too much of a distraction.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here. I bought the iPad originally to take notes during meetings (in addition to email, web surfing, etc.). I had been taking notes on my MacBook Pro but the screen gets in the way when trying to talk to others at a table and the clicking of the keyboard can be distracting. The first two meetings I went to started late because people were congregated around me talking about my iPad. This should calm down in the next few months as more ipads make their way into the wild.

As for carrying it around, I currently just shove it in one of my old folios (that has a notepad that I no longer have any use for) :D. You look pretty non-descript walking into a meeting ..... until the ipad is taken out and turned on.

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont steal my idea and make millions....

I have a bunch of old outdated textbooks. So I am milling out a pocket inside the book, then putting foam and felt inside it. I am calling it the "incognito" case. I am going to try and sell them on my local college campus and see what kind of response I get. It will be like a book safe for the iPad. I should have a good show model in a couple of weeks...

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm going with the man purse, I mean Indiana Jones action pouch.

indy-sitting-small.jpg

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Nike zippered rubber document holder that I use for soccer coaching. It's just the right size; quite discrete. Something else could be an attaché case.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
I have a great tailor here in west Los Angeles and (when I get back in town) I'm going to have him make inside pockets in two of my jackets designed specifically for the iPad (also, after I decide which protective case to get). Now, in the warm weather, that is not going to help, but at least that'll be done when the cooler weather comes back.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont steal my idea and make millions....

I have a bunch of old outdated textbooks. So I am milling out a pocket inside the book, then putting foam and felt inside it. I am calling it the "incognito" case. I am going to try and sell them on my local college campus and see what kind of response I get. It will be like a book safe for the iPad. I should have a good show model in a couple of weeks...

Somebody has beat you to it. There is a fake book that holds the iPad on the market, or at least used to be, I have not seen it for a while.

Most reactions