What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slim, basic carry case

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fullofgraceandtruth.net
I'm either an unusual person or looking in the wrong place for something that seems simple. I'm after a pretty basic, slimline case to transport my iPad, a clutch of mainly A4 documents and nothing else, across town for a meeting or similar.

I have been using my existing laptop bag, which certainly serves the purpose. But I'm only using a fraction of the storage space, and just don't want to carry around the bulk of a bag that size.

I'm picturing something like a slimline, no frills satchel kind of thing, slightly bigger than the iPad and not very thick, with a shoulder strap. (A carry handle as well would be even better, but not essential.) I want it to hold the iPad (with smartcover and snap shield) and my documents, without the documents getting crinkled easily. That's basically it.

I've scoured ebay and the web generally, and everything I've found seems to be either too bulky, too slim, too classy / expensive or too girlie. (No offence, ladies. But I'm a guy, you know … ) The closest I've identified so far is the Kensington Sling Bag . But there's nothing anywhere about its dimensions, and though clearly a compact design, it looks like it might still be just a bit thicker than I really want, especially with the documents in mind.

Does anyone have the Kensington bag here? If so can you comment on how it would go for what I want? Or could someone suggest something else specifically? TIA ..

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen many such bags on Amazon and elsewhere online. I have a CaseLogic bag that looks much like the Kensington you showed, but it's not a sling. Mine has two carry handles and a detachable strap, and it carries my iPad vertically. It's the thickness of a notebook computer and leaves room for little else. Mine is all black, no frills.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Look for netbook bags/cases. One of them should fit your needs nicely; with just enough room inside for the iPad to have it's own case on as well. There are still quite a few of these in office and computer stores. Take your iPad with you and do some fit tests.

xcanuc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using my old bag from my 12" iBook. A little big but when I get my otter box case it will still fit in nicely.

OP
E

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, guys (so far). Guess I'll just keep scouring the shops and online …

Had a look at the CaseLogic one mentioned by Kaykaykay. Looks possible, but leaves me wondering how the documents would survive after removing / inserting the iPad several times … Documents might fit in the outside zippered pocket, but I fear that getting them in and out and opening / closing the zipper would be unkind to them too (if they even fit in).

Anyone else with an inspiration??

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, guys (so far). Guess I'll just keep scouring the shops and online …

Had a look at the CaseLogic one mentioned by Kaykaykay. Looks possible, but leaves me wondering how the documents would survive after removing / inserting the iPad several times … Documents might fit in the outside zippered pocket, but I fear that getting them in and out and opening / closing the zipper would be unkind to them too (if they even fit in).

Anyone else with an inspiration??

There's no outside zippered pocket on my CaseLogic bag. I think you were looking at another. They make loads of bags.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get the Targus Hughes Leather Portfolio. I've had one since I got the iPad 1 and the iPad 2 with Smart Cover and protective shell casing fits in it perfectly. Beautiful, rugged, simple and elegant, well-constructed case that feels nice and doesn't scream, "expensive gadget inside!". Can be found for $30 or less.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
E

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Michael. Only just found your post. But anyway I've ended up settling on the CaseLogic QTA-110. I think it fits the bill, and I'll probably just get a stiff plastic document wallet to slip into the bag for the papers. Just paid and ordered on Amazon. I'll try to remember to post back with a report after I've roadtested it ...http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-iPad-Tablet-Attaché/dp/B004YJQGCE

ChaystEr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outdoor products. For my iPad and Laptop.

Sent from my iPhone4 8g using Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-1529517114.jpg
    image-1529517114.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 332
OP
E

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Just to update you all. The CaseLogic bag I settled on has been a definite winner, and I couldn't be happier with the choice. It was also quite a decent price through Amazon.

The one thing on my original list of specs that it doesn't quite fill is storage space for A4 sized documents. It has some handy internal space on one side of the divider (the iPad slots in on the other side, with an elastic strap and Velcro fastener to hold it in place against the side of the bag). But the space is fractionally bigger than iPad size, which is a couple of inches shorter in length than A4. So just right for a small paper notebook or a few printed documents folded in half. It's not as if I carry legal documents around, so I've decided that's not a big deal afterall. Certainly a small cost for the compact, lightweight convenience of this very functional bag.

Highly recommended.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Carrying cases for the iPad can be a challenge since every one has different needs. And the more functions the bag does, the more it negates the real function of the iPad. I have tried several and have two messenger bags and a folio that I rarely use. I have found that I either just carry it around with a protective cover, or carry it in a pocket of my computer bag. When I travel, I will usually take both with me, and it is a handy way to haul my cables and accessories. I am glad you found a bag to suite your needs. My CaseLogic bag is nice, and I can recommend them for those who need one like that.

Most reactions

Latest posts