What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad compared to Galaxy Tab - My Thoughrs

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with Seadog on this one. Obviously the Galaxy is going to weigh less. Seriously though, if you are carrying them around in your backpack the difference in weight does not make a difference in the world.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with liking one device over the other. Samsung makes good stuff. I'm evening thinking about one myself (once the high res screens come out). But let's be real here. Arguing that 95% of the apps are rubbish is only done to say that apps don't make a difference. They do. Even though no one can really use 200,000+ apps, it does matter because a lot of those apps are for special purposes and fields...if you are a lawyer, you might need one type of app. If you are an MD or a healthcare person, an entirely difference set of apps might be of interest to you. You might need an app for planning a design or layout, for cooking, for reference material of a certain type. You might want a digital archive in your particular field. That's why it is important to have many, many apps because they will target users with specific needs. It's not all about remote desktop, FB, twitter, and playing movies.

Comparing new against stuff that is not even sold anymore is kinda pointless. The rich ecosystem for Apple stuff counts and does the fact that they make it easy, by comparison, to get problems fixed.

Mbspears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just shut off LTE if you don't need it or aren't in an area that has it. By design, it will use more battery life. In reality it isn't bad. I'm sitting in an all-day meeting that started at 8:30am. I've been on iPad the whole time (no comment), LTE is working great, and as of 3:00pm, I still have 55% battery life left.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lighter weight for any tablet would be great in my book, but a few ounces either way isn't a deal breaker. Bulk is more of consideration for me, which is why a 5" inch phablet appeals to me. I want to be able to fit one device in a smallish purse or pants pockets sometimes, for instance. But I will continue to prefer 10" form factor when it comes down to any main tablet.

As for apps, it's nice for users to have choice in general, but when it comes down to individual use, all I care about is getting the relatively few apps that I want. The touts of lots of apps I don't care about won't influence my purchase of any hardware.

I'd like for devices at this point to have the ability to toggle between 3G and 4G, in the interest of battery savings until more battery advances are made. (I don't expect significant battery advances for some time, given what I've read about research. Of course, I'd like to be happily surprised about being wrong about that.)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Imagine, if you can, the situation where there were only 100 random apps on android. Then you folks would be saying there were no apps.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imagine, if you can, the situation where there were only 100 random apps on android. Then you folks would be saying there were no apps.

If the 100 were the ones I use, that would do for me.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If the 100 were the ones I use, that would do for me.

That is why I used the word random, so none could make that claim. While you may only use a relatively small number of apps it doesn't serve the needs of millions of people to have only a few apps. And saying the ones you don't use are rubbish, as the op did, is senseless.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is why I used the word random, so none could make that claim. While you may only use a relatively small number of apps it doesn't serve the needs of millions of people to have only a few apps. And saying the ones you don't use are rubbish, as the op did, is senseless.

There's no point arguing about someone's opinion, because it's subjective. And there's no point arguing about an imaginary scenario of 100 apps, because that's not a concern on either platform. The point is, if you find what you want on any platform, that's what matters.

It's like choosing a carrier -- does me no good to say a carrier has great nationwide coverage if it doesn't serve my backyard.

When it comes to choosing hardware, software, etc., the individual spending the money is the decider of what's rubbish or not. When it comes to Android or iOS, I've not had trouble finding the apps I want, so that's not even a consideration when I decide hardware at this point.

I do think there are many rubbish apps on both platforms, from having checked out a number. You don't have to agree, of course, and I don't have to try every app out there to come to that determination. On both platforms, I'd like to see more effective filtering of apps available to each user. The same applies for all sorts of stuff when I shop -- I'd rather there were more effective filtering of ebooks, movies, etc., to save me time trudging through stuff I'd never have interest in.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no point in any discussion at all if bogus, self-serving opinion is not challenged. People say things to defend their position in the moment, with no thought beyond that.

What is the point of more effective filtering if the filter is blocking what you want but not that of others? One person's junk is another's treasure.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no point in any discussion at all if bogus, self-serving opinion is not challenged. People say things to defend their position in the moment, with no thought beyond that.

What is the point of more effective filtering if the filter is blocking what you want but not that of others? One person's junk is another's treasure.

The point of filtering would be decided by each user. Easier to find what works for each person's priorities. You'd filter stuff you don't want.

When it comes to choosing products, self-serving is exactly what I'm looking for, lol.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

Blackberry is exactly in that situation, where you have a choice of a few thousand most common apps. The os runs smooth, it's a great device but I don't see too many android users singing its praises. As a blackberry user before I heard all the time that there were no apps for it - even though I had many more functional apps than I have on either my android or iPad tablet.

There are pluses and minuses to all the devices.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackberry is exactly in that situation, where you have a choice of a few thousand most common apps. The os runs smooth, it's a great device but I don't see too many android users singing its praises. As a blackberry user before I heard all the time that there were no apps for it - even though I had many more functional apps than I have on either my android or iPad tablet.

There are pluses and minuses to all the devices.

Blackberry seems to have positioned itself for biz, rather than consumers. A device you can't even get the Netflix app on, for instance? I don't see consumers singing its praises if it's missing basic entertainment apps like that.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't own enough about to support a claim that 99% of them are rubbish. That's just a weak argument to make the number of apps meaningless in support of your claim. And the original iPad is over two years old, so you're comparing to old tech.

I said 95% not 99% and I am pretty confident in that statement. In fact 99% is probably true as well.

My point was supposed to be that it's not the headline, 6 figure number, of apps that counts, it's number of quality apps. I think this number is quite small for both iPad and Android.

Here's my list for each:-

iPad

Safari
Mail
GoodReader
File Browser
Numbers
Pages
EverNote
DropBox
No GPS on iPad WiFi only so no navigation software

Galaxy

Browser (Web)
Polaris Office
ES File Explorer
CoPilot
EverNote
DropBox

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And what, those are the only quality apps? You speak with no impact.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And what, those are the only quality apps? You speak with no impact.

Once again, I really don't get your point. This is simply a list of apps that I use on each tablet. It's not intended to have "impact".

The subject of this thread makes it clear, these are just comments, I am not trying to convert anyone from iOS to Android.

One app that I left off the Galaxy list was obviously Mail. And Tapatalk on both devices.

When you get down it I mainly use both for email and web browsing.

An additional use for the Galaxy is car navigation, firstly because it has a GPS reciever and secondly because the larger tablets (iOS or Android) are too big to use in a car, 7.7" is just about the perfect size.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions