What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Case Reviews

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The strong chemical smell is still there and I am going to let the case sit outside overnight. Hopefully the smell will lessen. As far as returning the item, hdaccessory posts that there is a 20% open box fee on any opened hardware or accessory. Shipping costs are not refundable.

There was another case I was considering until both of the review in Amazon mentioned that the case stinked and would not clear up. It appeared to be a problem with its manufacture in China. Another reason I do not like things made in China.

I bought another case from the same company as mentioned, and yeah the case has that smell.

I took my case to a leather worker yesterday to see about a couple modifications that I'd like done (cut a little around the 30pin connector hole to allow a better fit for charging & cut out some of the leather around the screen because the way it's built as the case settles in place it blocks off the upper left hand corner a tiny bit when I have it in landscape with the home button on the right hand side) and he said the reason it smells the way it does is because it's goat hide instead of cow hide leather. And it will always have that smell. Airing it out will lessen the smell, but if you put it away where it's kind of sealed up the smell will come back just as strong as before.

So long story short....it's not because it was made in china....it's jut the type of leather that was used.

In the end though for me, since my birthday is coming up I was able to talk my wife into getting a custom leather case made by that leather worker. It's going to cost $150-175 but I think it's going to be well worth it. I'll be able to get with the specifications I want, and it will truly be one of a kind. I can't wait! :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In most countries, if it is listed as leather, it is understood to be cow leather. The problem with Chinese products is the government lax oversight and impeding outside controls. There are too many violations of labor laws, safety, environmental issues, and quality control for my taste. I do not boycott products made in China, but I sure watch out for potential issues. There have been too many health issues with products imported from China. And their environmental problems will take decades to resolve at best.

At some point, they may get their act together. Other nations have. A century ago, Made in Japan meant cheap. Not so today. I have always admired some of the products that Korea produced. Their brasswork was second to none in my opinion. But until recently, they did not produce decent cars, they produced what I would call kimchi kabs. Now their auto quality is fast approaching the asian/US average.

RayB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eco-Vue Leather Folio Case from Marware

If you are looking for a high quality leather folio case, check out this one from Marware: Eco-Vue for iPad

The exterior is a durable black leather and the interior is a grey suede.

The feature that I like the most is the wide strap that allows you to easily hold the iPad in one hand, leaving your other hand for tapping and flicking.

It also has a foldaway support to improve the typing angle (similar to Apple's case) that closes flush using a magnetic catch.

If you want a well crafted case, suitable for either the classroom or boardroom, this is the one to consider.

Attachments

• Eco-vue 3.jpg
    Eco-vue 3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Eco-vue 1.jpg
    Eco-vue 1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Eco-vue 2.jpg
    Eco-vue 2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI Gremlin-I have that problem with the Apple case fitting inside the Incase Travel kit. The corners have to smash down to get the zipper closed and it is very hard to slide the ipad out. I am also concerned about odors coming from products. I want to touch it before I buy it and that is not easy with so many of these products. Who wants to mess around with buying and returning something if you dont have to.

That's why I'm waiting a while before I buy another case. I bought the apple case for my 3G because I figured apple was really the only one who actually had both the wifi and 3G ipads so their cases should be a good fit. I'll wait for the 3G's to be out for a bit before I go shopping for an additional leather case and bag.

You got the point, it’s why we have not yet open our Shop, we have already export some of our products but only the one we are sure will have no problem with both Wifi & 3G, we discover some important details when we receive our wifi so i take this difficult decision ... especially because we know 3 doesn’t have exactly the same size so better to wait than receive but comment from our first customer , right ?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
China products

In most countries, if it is listed as leather, it is understood to be cow leather. The problem with Chinese products is the government lax oversight and impeding outside controls. There are too many violations of labor laws, safety, environmental issues, and quality control for my taste. I do not boycott products made in China, but I sure watch out for potential issues. There have been too many health issues with products imported from China. And their environmental problems will take decades to resolve at best. .

Hi you are wrong is not the government, is some voracious factory boss, with help of their local little emperor (governor of the province) as the central gov cannot control a so huge country … until no accident arrive they do what they want for win more money .. i can told you even chinese people don’t trust too much chinese products more as they can afford they buy foreign brand or imported products.

it’s at us (developer) to select the correct factory, most of the big group with who have work have a skilled quality control team and they are really strict (and they are right) … but of course many small company just care about the price they paid and don’t care that much about the future problem , don’t care the child labor or environment problem …

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been our historical experience that manufacturers will often do what is expedient and not worry about consequences. That is why government is so important. Local government has to be run by locals, state/region run by those within the region. The national government must set national rules, provide national defense, and maintain diplomatic ties with the world. There is no excuse for government at any level to fail to take care of the people under their authority. For 225 years, this nation has been struggling with the concept of equality for all levels of people. It is rarely easy, but when it works, it is a powerful force. It works when the individual feels that they have a vested interest in the success of the whole country. That they are not a part of machine, but an important member of the society. If any individual or group of individuals can get away with crimes because they do not fear the people below telling the law or authorities above, govenrment fails to do its job.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been our historical experience that manufacturers will often do what is expedient and not worry about consequences. That is why government is so important. Local government has to be run by locals, state/region run by those within the region. The national government must set national rules, provide national defense, and maintain diplomatic ties with the world. There is no excuse for government at any level to fail to take care of the people under their authority. For 225 years, this nation has been struggling with the concept of equality for all levels of people. It is rarely easy, but when it works, it is a powerful force. It works when the individual feels that they have a vested interest in the success of the whole country. That they are not a part of machine, but an important member of the society. If any individual or group of individuals can get away with crimes because they do not fear the people below telling the law or authorities above, govenrment fails to do its job.

I fully agree with you, but they have some excuse (i am not at all pro-chinese), this country is too big and they grow up too fast and have unbalanced society … one things is sure is if they don’t act fast they will loose their advantage … just considering my self we have move two production one in Malaysia and one in Saint-Domingue, due to the difficulty we have in China, some chain store have moved to Vietnam is more safe and respectful … India is also behind the door … and the world move fast today

(we should stop here before we be blamed for be out of topic’s)

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IpadOne, Do you have more images of your iPad City Bag. The images on your site show it as more of an over the shoulder style bag while your older images show the bag toward the back sort of backback style.

bag2.png

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a Vera Bradley mini laptop case for my preordered ipad. I know this will send the ipad purist into orbit, but it is quite cute. According to apples specs, it should fit nicely. It has a hard shell,but has velcro bars that adjust for a proper fit. It was about $40-$50.

How did it fit? I bought one for my netbook, but am planning on using it for the iPad 3G once it gets here. I got mine for $25 because the fabric was discontinued!

I love my Vera Bradley mini laptop case--it fits perfectly with one velcro bar. Was afraid it would not fit with the Apple case, but it is perfect!!! Pocket on each side of the case (one zippered) and I also purchased a matching camera case.

a%3E

Patra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gayle, thanks for your answer. I was worried that it might be too deep for the iPad and let it bump around in the case. I was thinking that I might fold a microfiber cloth and lay it on top to make sure it's a little more snug fit. I'm going crazy waiting for my 3G to get here. lol I hope they're right and it gets here on Friday.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought the Belkin Leather Folio.
CatalogMedia.aspx

Very nice quality of leather and the inside is good. But the left side of the holding frame is actually bending up and the sewing is far away from being perfect. And instead of a rubber band closure, I'd prefer a magnetic closure.

So I just give it a 3 star out of 5.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple case fits great and is functional. For now this will have to do. I will wait until we see some new ones, and i see more reviews here in the forum.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking maybe I will just adapt a military map case to work. Then keep the iPad inside a folder.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heavier than? The weight is irrelevant compared to the advantages and image of the map case vs. a 'man' purse.

Most reactions

Latest posts