What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two case reviews

iFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, since both of my cases arrived today, I decided to give a brief review of them as promised. I ordered the Hard Sleeve from HardCandy Cases and the iPad Gelli from case-mate.

First I will cover the HardCandy case. Overall I am happy with this case. I haven't seen any other case like this and it looks like it will do well. It is, as the name implies, hard or better yet "stiff". The inside is soft and the inside of the lid has soft "bubbles" to protect the screen. It has four placeable rubber corners with velcro sewn to the bottom for easy placement making it an ideal case for those that also want to use a skin on their ipad. It appears that the zipper will not come into contact with the device due to its placement and the underlying soft lip under the zipper itself. The only issue I had with this case was the shipping. The packaging was bland, reminding me of the packaging you would see covering a cheap iphone case knock off at a mall kiosk. However, it did arrive safely. It was not in retail packaging so if this was in a store with the 49$ price tag, I probably wouldn't have even looked at it. Also, I paid for 2nd day air on the 13th and my package didn't arrive until the 19th. I inquired by email and was told there was a delay in customs. Overall the customer service was fast and friendly and since this case was just released hopefully they have all their shipping issues sorted out. Would I recommend this case? Yes, although I think the price is a little high i also think this is a good product and should do it's job well.

Now for the iPad Gelli from case-mate. Top notch. Fits very snug, all holes are cut and placed well...no issues plugging things in or accessing the switches/buttons. Very cool design and colors. Thick enough for protection but not over bearing. Texture is much like silicone but stiffer like rubber. Well worth the 39$ price tag. Shipping was very fast, only a matter of days. The only issue I had was that they sent me the wrong color, however, I will not be returning it as I kind of like the one they sent, lol. There are different colors and designs on their site. Would I recommend it? Absolutely.

After I use these a few weeks, if my opinion has changed or if something is worth noting, I will update this thread. Thanks for looking and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• IMG00184-20100419-1815.jpg
    IMG00184-20100419-1815.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG00185-20100419-1816.jpg
    IMG00185-20100419-1816.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG00186-20100419-1816.jpg
    IMG00186-20100419-1816.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG00187-20100419-1817.jpg
    IMG00187-20100419-1817.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG00188-20100419-1818.jpg
    IMG00188-20100419-1818.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
OP
I

iFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The rest of the photos- sorry for the quality, they were taken with my phone.

Attachments

• IMG00190-20100419-1820.jpg
    IMG00190-20100419-1820.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG00192-20100419-1821.jpg
    IMG00192-20100419-1821.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 295

FL Wine Girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iFreeman,
Thanks for the reviews. I really like the look of the gelli case and was considering buying one (love pink!). Was it difficult to install? Also, have you actually used it with the 30-pin connector? Any issues with the connector fit?

OP
I

iFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iFreeman,
Thanks for the reviews. I really like the look of the gelli case and was considering buying one (love pink!). Was it difficult to install? Also, have you actually used it with the 30-pin connector? Any issues with the connector fit?

Hi. The gelli was easy to install. What I would recommend is sliding the top of the iPad (the end with the switches) into the case first, then work the remaining sides and bottom around the edges of the device. It took a little effort, but it fits snug and does not feel as if it will come off unless you want it to. The 30 pin fits great, no interference...here is a pic of the connector:

Attachments

• IMG00198-20100420-0342.jpg
    IMG00198-20100420-0342.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 277

lamlam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i like the hardcandy case ... it looks trendy and protect well ...
but when i put my ipad on it ...
it could not hold the ipad tight even after adjusting the velco rubber corners ..
and the rubber corners r interfering with the switch and ear phone input plug ... :(

IMG00188-20100419-1818.jpg

OP
I

iFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree about the switch and ear phone plug, but I rarely use it while still in the case. As for the fit, I haven't seen any issues but I also have the gelli on so maybe that helps it to "grip" for a better fit in the HardCandy.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i like the hardcandy case ... it looks trendy and protect well ...
but when i put my ipad on it ...
it could not hold the ipad tight even after adjusting the velco rubber corners ..
and the rubber corners r interfering with the switch and ear phone input plug ... :(

Hy from Bishan, pity you don’t wait in some days you will have all our products in Sim Lin square … products be developed without iPad in hand, cannot match perfectly ( right ?) it’s why Singtel order us some of our products for the launch

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a 'snap-on' case for my 3G, but I'm hesitant to buy now due to the slight difference in dimensions between the wi-fi and 3G models. I'm also concerned about the case possibly interfering with the 3G window on the caseback.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to stick with my apple and incase travel kit until the accessory market has a little time to mature. I travelled with the Incase kit and it provided good protection in my larger suitcase. I was still careful to make sure the screen side was well shielded.

lamlam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree about the switch and ear phone plug, but I rarely use it while still in the case. As for the fit, I haven't seen any issues but I also have the gelli on so maybe that helps it to "grip" for a better fit in the HardCandy.
yes .. without the xgear skin .. it can't really hold the ipad ...
it's have better grip with the skin but still not tight enough ...

what i am afraid is the ipad will dropped off when u open the case ..

anyway .. i have thought of a way to hold the ipad tightly on the case ..
but still problem with the switch and ear phone plug ...
probably will need to do some trimming on the corners ... :D

figmo10 said:
I'm thinking of a 'snap-on' case for my 3G, but I'm hesitant to buy now due to the slight difference in dimensions between the wi-fi and 3G models. I'm also concerned about the case possibly interfering with the 3G window on the caseback.
is there a difference in size between the 2 models ??

Last edited:

FL Wine Girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Case-mate gelli skins/case: review

I received my Case-mate skins today. I ordered a few in different colors and designs - Checkmate and Kaleidoscope. Service and delivery were outstanding. I ordered them on Tuesday and they arrived this morning via US Postal Service, free shipping.

They are very thin and fit the iPad perfectly. The edges barely cover the bezel and the case is easy to install, yet fits snugly. The design is slick and makes the iPad easy to pass back and forth when we play Scrabble :) (this is not so comfortable with the Apple case). All of the ports are easily accessible, so the cutouts are perfect. It's not as thick as the CIMO cases, but the fit is much better. Is it worth the $39.99 price tag? I don't really think so. Perhaps $20 max. At this price, it would be a no-brainer because it really does look slick!

OP
I

iFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you liked them. I think the designs and colors are great. I was looking for something stylish and this was it. How do you like the Checkmate design?

FL Wine Girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so don't laugh at me, but I have a color for almost every occasion / outfit now! We have the Checkmate in Blue and Green. The blue one matches the blue Incase Neoprene. Exact same color. We have the Kaleidoscopes in Tomato and Yellow. All of them look great on the iPad. My "Apple budget" is just about depleted ... except for the Best Buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket :D

Most reactions

Latest posts