What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad bricked after redsnow jailbreak

cpttango30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I know I am a first time poster. I also know according to many on here you can't brick an iPad. Here is what happened. I got bored with my ipad 1 and every single app crashing every time I tried using them after upgrading to what I like to call iOS Vista (iOS 5) I did a restore twice on it and it got a little better. Now instead of every app crashing on launch then working on launch again it was only do that half the time. So I read around here and on the web. I decided that I will try jailbreaking it and see if I can't get things working a little better.

So I find redsnow and I download it and everything I needed. I then jailbreak it (Very easy and great instructions to the programmers of redsnow) It is running fine and I am at 100% charge so I don't worry about it for 2 days. I go to put it on the charger today (2 days later and at 50%) and NOTHING no charging sign and no NOT CHARGING from the 10w ipad charger or from my PC. I now decide that I want it back to normal and I will just deal with it. So I find the tiny unbrella app and down load it. I already have the iOS 5.0.1 so I plug my iPad in to my laptop and it will not connect. I get it to connect I think so I fire up redsnow and go to extra and go to just boot tethered. I did the power button home button thing to put it in to DFU. NOTHING happened the chrome apple showed up and now my iPad is DEAD in the water. It will not boot charge nothing. It is a $400 paper weight.

Anyone got an idea about how I can fix this thing? If I left anything out let me know I will answer as best I can.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Follow the steps in this guide. It is a sure fire way of getting back to stock 5.0.1 - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

From your description above you DID NOT achieve DFU mode by the way. You should NOT see the Apple logo. If you do, then you got the timing wrong. DFU mode is an essential skill to master to get an iPad to restore from a jailbroken state, so you need to practice some more. The link to the tutorial is in the guide.

OP
C

cpttango30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK followed the guide.

Got to step 5 and I think something major is wrong with my iPad as itunes doesn't show it in recovery mode.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Now it is back to not turning on at all again.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
cpttango30 said:
OK followed the guide.

Got to step 5 and I think something major is wrong with my iPad as itunes doesn't show it in recovery mode.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Now it is back to not turning on at all again.

Sounds like it is your PC, not the iPad to me. Reinstall iTunes and use a different USB port.
The iPad will turn on if you hold home and power for ten seconds then let go of BOTH, then press power.

thapzen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U need to download a new OS for ur iPad, attemp to connect it with ur iTunes open, try it several times, it might just get back to life, the restore ur device after connection success

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too many complaints regarding the last JB.
I think I'll let it pass.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And then, to add another anecdote ....

My iPad1 on iOS 5.0.1 is running perfectly smoothly on the new redsn0w jailbreak. Yes, there were issues because the servers at the larger repos got slammed when everyone tried to access them at the same time. But, that's settled down and things are back to normal...

To anyone reading this: Please realize that (1) anecdotes are not data, they are merely stories, and (2) the ones who are having troubles are the ones posting to forums such as this or writing elsewhere about their issues.

It's always been that way for the Interwebz - the people with problems/errors/issues are the ones you hear from. You don't hear from the folk who aren't having issues, because, honestly? How dull it is to hear "all's well" ... over and over.

So, don't let the posts you read here about issues with the new jailbreak, and elsewhere, put you off. I daresay that most people are like me - happily playing with a fun, jail broken, no issues iPad.

</preachy reassurance>

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts