What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and the School Administrator

marcheterre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, There is an app that will allow you to conduct teacher observations with your iPad. It is a great way to cut out the paper and make sense of the larger more formal evals states require

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a college faculty member and administrator. I've had the iPad2 since May. These are the apps that I've found most useful for work in order of importance:

Evernote
At first I didn't think I'd like it because it doesn't have a function to allow for taking handwritten notes, but now I find it indispensable for storing memos and email related to important policy changes, etc by category.

iAnnotate PDF
It has a function that allows you to write notes (using a stylus for legibility) in addition to a wealth of other annotation functions. Although I mainly use if for annotating the texts I use in the courses I teach, this function makes this app especially useful for filling out forms, e.g., I've turned my attendance rosters into forms in PDF format that I use for taking attendance using a stylus.

Pages
It's an elegant and extremely easy to use word processing app that can convert documents into Microsoft Word and PDFs.

Keynote
I prefer this to Microsoft PowerPoint for quickly creating a draft of a presentation. Documents can also be saved as Microsoft files.

Ghostwriter
Although I've used Penultimate for three months, I like this app better because it has a wrist guard enabling me to take handwritten notes while resting my hand on the iPad screen. I decided to try it out based on some posts I read in this forum. Another advantage is I can also send notes from this app to other apps, e.g., Evernote.

Web to PDF
I've started making PDFs of web pages and then storing them in iAnnotate PDF and Evernote. The key feature is the ability to create a single document consisting of many different web pages.

Quickoffice HD
Although I don't use this app as much as I did initially, it is quite useful for storing duplicate folders of essential documents that are stored on my laptop. I've also used the PowerPoint aspect of this app to give my boss a spontaneous demonstration of a project I've been working on to get his immediate feedback. Without the iPad, the demonstration would not have occurred when it did: The iPad is simply more portable than a laptop and that means I'm more likely to carry it with me wherever I go.

I also have the Apple Wireless Keyboard and I keep it permanently encased in the Incase Origami Workstation, a keyboard case and workstation I bought on the advice of the members of this forum.

I prefer to use the iPad whenever possible instead of my laptop because there are apps like the ones listed above that make it a more attractive tool for work than a laptop.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent post Asharp. Very informative and well written as all of yours are.

You are very helpful here and we are fortunate to have you.

Just sayin'...:)

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Excellent post Asharp. Very informative and well written as all of yours are.

You are very helpful here and we are fortunate to have you.

Just sayin'...:)

You are very kind. Thank you!

jawbraker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I am a college faculty member and administrator. I've had the iPad2 since May. These are the apps that I've found most useful for work in order of importance:

Evernote
At first I didn't think I'd like it because it doesn't have a function to allow for taking handwritten notes, but now I find it indispensable for storing memos and email related to important policy changes, etc by category.

iAnnotate PDF
It has a function that allows you to write notes (using a stylus for legibility) in addition to a wealth of other annotation functions. Although I mainly use if for annotating the texts I use in the courses I teach, this function makes this app especially useful for filling out forms, e.g., I've turned my attendance rosters into forms in PDF format that I use for taking attendance using a stylus.

Pages
It's an elegant and extremely easy to use word processing app that can convert documents into Microsoft Word and PDFs.

Keynote
I prefer this to Microsoft PowerPoint for quickly creating a draft of a presentation. Documents can also be saved as Microsoft files.

Ghostwriter
Although I've used Penultimate for three months, I like this app better because it has a wrist guard enabling me to take handwritten notes while resting my hand on the iPad screen. I decided to try it out based on some posts I read in this forum. Another advantage is I can also send notes from this app to other apps, e.g., Evernote.

Web to PDF
I've started making PDFs of web pages and then storing them in iAnnotate PDF and Evernote. The key feature is the ability to create a single document consisting of many different web pages.

Quickoffice HD
Although I don't use this app as much as I did initially, it is quite useful for storing duplicate folders of essential documents that are stored on my laptop. I've also used the PowerPoint aspect of this app to give my boss a spontaneous demonstration of a project I've been working on to get his immediate feedback. Without the iPad, the demonstration would not have occurred when it did: The iPad is simply more portable than a laptop and that means I'm more likely to carry it with me wherever I go.

I also have the Apple Wireless Keyboard and I keep it permanently encased in the Incase Origami Workstation, a keyboard case and workstation I bought on the advice of the members of this forum.

I prefer to use the iPad whenever possible instead of my laptop because there are apps like the ones listed above that make it a more attractive tool for work than a laptop.

Do you have a link for that case you mentioned? I will try to look for it on amazon. I know this thread is not about cases so I apologize in advance. I have looked for apps to help me in my student teaching and so far Gradekeeper seems the most useful. It isn't flashy by any means but it let's me take roll, post assignments and grades, and cycle through those assignments by swiping the screen left or right. It also show the students in a grid style seating chart that I wish I could modify as it is very static.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jawbraker said:
Do you have a link for that case you mentioned? I will try to look for it on amazon. I know this thread is not about cases so I apologize in advance. I have looked for apps to help me in my student teaching and so far Gradekeeper seems the most useful. It isn't flashy by any means but it let's me take roll, post assignments and grades, and cycle through those assignments by swiping the screen left or right. It also show the students in a grid style seating chart that I wish I could modify as it is very static.

I bought my Apple keyboard case from a seller on amazon.com, but here's a link to the product at the Incase company website:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl57934

I'm still too attached to Easy Grade Pro to switch to an iPad app for grade keeping, but then I haven't done more than a cursory search of the grade keeping apps out there. However, you have inspired me to search the forum to see how different ones measure up.

Thank you!

soullessbunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so it's a giant iPod and definitely a toy....but can I use it at work?

I consider my ipad to be a laptop and treat it as such. Yes it has games and music on it, but mainly its my electronic diary for work. Its also a great word processor, I can quickly pull up my word documents and spreadsheets and show to people outside the office. Great to take to meetings. I can quickly send people emails. I have dropbox so anything I do on my home and work computers automatically updates onto my ipad, so everything is always at my fingertips. I think its more functional that an average laptop because you dont have to turn it on and off all the time and its always connected to the internet.

jawbraker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
soullessbunny said:
I consider my ipad to be a laptop and treat it as such. Yes it has games and music on it, but mainly its my electronic diary for work. Its also a great word processor, I can quickly pull up my word documents and spreadsheets and show to people outside the office. Great to take to meetings. I can quickly send people emails. I have dropbox so anything I do on my home and work computers automatically updates onto my ipad, so everything is always at my fingertips. I think its more functional that an average laptop because you dont have to turn it on and off all the time and its always connected to the internet.

I guess I need to look into dropbox more then because I created a flip chart for a lesson plan Thursday night but I forgot to add it to the right flash drive before I left for school yesterday. I won't need the flip chart until Monday but it would have been nice to finish it during planning yesterday. I guess some research into just what dropbox can do for me is in order.

jawbraker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I bought my Apple keyboard case from a seller on amazon.com, but here's a link to the product at the Incase company website:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl57934

I'm still too attached to Easy Grade Pro to switch to an iPad app for grade keeping, but then I haven't done more than a cursory search of the grade keeping apps out there. However, you have inspired me to search the forum to see how different ones measure up.

Thank you!

I did a search for it after posting my reply earlier and found one I like even better. The airbender keyboard case by Trent is similar to the zagg mate but it actually covers the back of the iPad. That has kept me from buying the zaggmate.

jawbraker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:

Thank you!

sorry for posting two times for your one ;). Easy Grade Pro huh? Have to check that out.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jawbraker said:
I have looked for apps to help me in my student teaching and so far Gradekeeper seems the most useful. It isn't flashy by any means but it let's me take roll, post assignments and grades, and cycle through those assignments by swiping the screen left or right. It also show the students in a grid style seating chart that I wish I could modify as it is very static.

It'll take quite a lot to motivate me to switch to an iPad app for recording grades. The software program I bought is expensive but worth every penny to me. I've exported the attendance charts from it as PDF files that I upload to dropbox after I take attendance at the end of every class.

I'll check out the grade keeping apps, but for now I'll probably just keep using LogMeIn Ignition to access and update grades on my laptop.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really good and interesting thread guys. A lot of what you are discussing can be utilised in business areas outside of mainstream education so I'll be keeping an eye on this. As for cases don't forget many of our sponsors offer some great equipment and these may be of interest in terms of cases with keyboards http://www.ipadforums.net/aidacase/

jawbraker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:
It'll take quite a lot to motivate me to switch to an iPad app for recording grades. The software program I bought is expensive but worth every penny to me. I've exported the attendance charts from it as PDF files that I upload to dropbox after I take attendance at the end of every class.

I'll check out the grade keeping apps, but for now I'll probably just keep using LogMeIn Ignition to access and update grades on my laptop.

The school supplies the teachers with grading software but I wanted something inexpensive to work with for now. Got a link for the one you bought? Not thinking of buying just curious about it now.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jawbraker said:
I did a search for it after posting my reply earlier and found one I like even better. The airbender keyboard case by Trent is similar to the zagg mate but it actually covers the back of the iPad. That has kept me from buying the zaggmate.

The type of keyboard case you decide on is of course based on your needs. I need a separate case because I do a lot of reading in transit every day and an all in one iPad and keyboard case would be cumbersome in a cramped subway train.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jawbraker said:
The school supplies the teachers with grading software but I wanted something inexpensive to work with for now. Got a link for the one you bought? Not thinking of buying just curious about it now.

I don't think I bought Easy Grade Pro from this website, but this website seems to be pretty informative:

http://www.easygradepro.com/

I don't like the grading software my school uses. I've found Easy Grade Pro to be more versatile.

It provides options for changing seating arrangements as well as color coding. I've never used those functions, so I don't know if that set of functions would suit your needs.

I like the ability to weight categories, view students' performance in chart form by class and assignment as well as being able to drag and group assignments however I please. It also has a footnote set of functions that can be customized so that I can keep a record of who has submitted late, early and incomplete, first, second and third drafts of assignments, etc.

All records can be saved as PDFs and the progress reports are easy to generate and are easier to understand for college students than other programs I've tried.

The software program is geared for elementary, secondary, and high school teachers, but I've found it invaluable for college. The company (Orbis) also has a web based version of the product that I plan to examine at some point.

Most reactions