What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and the School Administrator

r12rtpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ridesroadsandeats.com
Ok, so it's a giant iPod and definitely a toy....but can I use it at work?:confused: I am a school principal and want to buy an iPad, but cannot seem to get past the "Yeah, it's an expensive toy" mentality.

For busy school administrators, how are you using your iPad 2? Does the iPad 2 make your day to day job/planning easier? How so? Be specific. What apps are you using? What are the pros and what are the deltas? How can an iPad help me with school best practices?

Come on, school administrators, weigh in and help me decide if spending my money on the iPad 2 is worth it!:)

Cheers,

Steve

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm afraid I use mine more sparingly than I should but I use good reader for all my lesson plans and any info I can use for the classroom. I teach Btec Science in secondary school. Iworks apps are very good for all the office equivalent work apart from the occasional change to the set up when synched to school. I receive all emails from school. I use Starwalk, GCSE apps for science, The Elements app, south west maps for trips/geogxx, signmypad app to put students names, info onto preprepared docs, notetaker and notes +. I can't remember anymore but I'm sure someone on here could tell you more.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you are making your rounds you can snap away, pics and video, to show all the 'my little darling would never do that' parents their little darlings doing that.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's neither a giant iPod nor a toy. You need to think outside the box. I did a quick Google search on "school administrators, iPad." There's a wealth of information out there, including the following:

iPad for School Administrators

The iPad's a rather amazing tool with terrific mobility.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Aspasia said:
It's neither a giant iPod nor a toy. You need to think outside the box. I did a quick Google search on "school administrators, iPad." There's a wealth of information out there, including the following:

indeed, not quite as powerful as a MacBook, but it's not far off, and far more portable

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just my own experience...if I am going to use a device in a timely and quick manner, I need to be very conversant with the device, the application, and the actions I will be wanting to take. That means I practice with it, read the manual thoroughly, etc. Nothing more discouraging than to miss an opportunity because I did not press the right buttons or whatever. Just my take on the OP question.

OP
R

r12rtpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website

Thanks for the link. Sorry to step on your toes...:D :D

Steve

OP
R

r12rtpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Just my own experience...if I am going to use a device in a timely and quick manner, I need to be very conversant with the device, the application, and the actions I will be wanting to take. That means I practice with it, read the manual thoroughly, etc. Nothing more discouraging than to miss an opportunity because I did not press the right buttons or whatever. Just my take on the OP question.

I agree..perhaps I did not phrase my question correctly...in fact, after reading the responses so far, I know I didn't...:D

So, let me try again...for the school administrators out there, real world, how do you use your iPad? Are there any programs or apps you find particularly useful. FYI, my computer at work is an HP laptop which is tied into our district's network...what are some ways you use your iPad to increase productivity and school wide best practices?

Cheers,
Steve

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not understanding some of the rude responses to the OP post. There isn't anything in the world that can NOT be Googled. Of course you can Google anything. Perhaps the OP didn't want Google info, but IPF responses?

If you can't or do not want to productively participate in this thread or any thread, then don't.

Be careful.

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps you are over-thinking the reason TO buy and not focusing on why NOT to buy. I am not a teacher/administrator, nor am I in the education field. I have 3 children in Elementary school, and I see uses abound for the iPad in education. For you, think of it as a laptop without the lag time of "booting" your system. You could be more visible in the school while having access to email and the web at all times. I am in sales and I use my iPad constantly. I am phasing out my laptop each time I use it. Imagine multitasking anywhere on campus as well as having that "cool" factor. My kids love when I show them things on the iPad (StarWalk is a favorite). One thing is for sure, the number of apps will only increase as time goes on. It's a purchase that you won't regret. Good luck!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buttafingas said:
Perhaps you are over-thinking the reason TO buy and not focusing on why NOT to buy. I am not a teacher/administrator, nor am I in the education field. I have 3 children in Elementary school, and I see uses abound for the iPad in education. For you, think of it as a laptop without the lag time of "booting" your system. You could be more visible in the school while having access to email and the web at all times. I am in sales and I use my iPad constantly. I am phasing out my laptop each time I use it. Imagine multitasking anywhere on campus as well as having that "cool" factor. My kids love when I show them things on the iPad (StarWalk is a favorite). One thing is for sure, the number of apps will only increase as time goes on. It's a purchase that you won't regret. Good luck!

Totally agree!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

OP
R

r12rtpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Perhaps you are over-thinking the reason TO buy and not focusing on why NOT to buy...

Probably true...I do have the tendency to overthink purchases, especially electronics, which I dearly love...:D:D

I do appreciate your thoughts as well as others...but I am a bit surprised with all the iPads out there, and all the educators using these things, that a few more school admins haven't weighed in...:confused:

But I am sure that once I've made my purchase I will discover lots of ways to use my new iPad!

Cheers, everyone!

Steve in So Cal

Most reactions