What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad air case

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With many of theses products being available in the US for reportedly something between $5 to $10 but in the UK something in the region of $30, then it is not just gov taxes that account for the 200% increase. Sadly it is profiteering by the manufactures/sellers.

Take a 32Gb iPad Air. US $499 UK $785 (£480). Yes there is 20% VAT in the UK and local taxes in the US to be added where applicable but that still does not make up the difference.

The cost of doing business is higher at every point in the UK, not just taxes. You tend to pay more for rents and gas, for instance, which lead to greater costs, and so on. The UK also has restrictive practices on imports and labor, which leads to more overhead.

If it's just a matter of manufacturers price gouging, then the solution is simple: All an entrepreneur has to do is gray market products from cheaper places like the US.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I mean microphone ports where you speak into for siri and other functions. There is one on the top of the iPad in the middle and one on the back.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, worked that out LOL. Sorry. I forgot about the second MIC port to be truthful, but yes, the STM Grip 2 has the opening for the second MIC. Have it in hand and think its the best cover/case I've had for any of my Ipads and I have a stack of unusable cases and covers from a keyboard case to just the foldable/magnetic cover, Targus, DODO, original Apple cover, etc. Its not flashy, just very practical with good protection for corners and the whole Ipad, magnetic cover that also has a latch which I appreciate while in my bag, really good kickstand. It may be too basic for some as its not "pretty" but I've had 'pretty' and had cases that do more like the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard and this hits all bases I wanted this time. Luckily there are cases out there for all of us %>)

debaucher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have the leather apple smart cover...it is ok but I am looking for something better...just keeping my eyes open for now

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an entire box full of iPad cases....but this time...I just bought a single case from amazon...a brand known as Khomo...they make a tight-fitting case (for the mini) that has four panels on the front...this makes for a solid vertical stand when magnets are used. I think they have models for the Air too, but I didn't see one with four panels, just three. I've seen too many three-panel cases that don't make for stable stands in the movie watching position. One thing about the Khomo case for iPad mini...it's really for the mini 1 because it does not have a hole for the second microphone on the back. I hope they back a case designed for the mini 2...it's only $15 and it provides protection against scratches and dings (not serious drop protection, but I don't want a super bulky case anyhow). Here is a link to their website (so we can see what products they actually offer). I only see a 3-panel case for the Air...maybe they have solved the problem, but I would need convincing before I buy a 3-panel case.

AQ-do you have any pictures of your case?

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased the apple leather smart case in black, love that it keeps my iPad Air sleek and slim and doesn't add too much to it but I don't like that the cover has 3 folds so when I use it as a stand it really isn't that sturdy and has a tendency to want to unfold, and it has a strange viewing angle.

I also have the Potenzo Alano for my iPad Air. I've been looking at the case for some time but wanted to wait until the new iPad was released as I purchase every other release and not yearly. For my iPad3 I used the Saddleback Leather case and absolutely loved it but they don't have one out for the Air yet so I decided to pull the trigger on the Portenzo. I really like this case, the leather quality is great, love the look of the old book, love my intelistand feature and the stylus holder, love the way the speaker cut outs are as it seems to amplify the sound really good. Only thing I don't like is the size it adds to the Air, it's roughly 3/4 inch thick, but I can pop my iPad out easily it I want to just use it that way. I do feel that my iPad is very safe in the case and could easily take a tumble in the case and it would be protected nicely.

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a STM Studio Protective Case $18 from Amazon, excellent case but the sides are plastic and its scratching up the sides of my iPad, I'm pretty angry. I also tried the Fintie SmartShell Case $11 but it was poorly made and smelled. And the last one I tried was the Devicewear Slim Case, decent case, but again plastic was warped and could possibly ding up the sides easily.

I need something that covers all the sides. I need something like the official Apple iPad Air Smart Case, that rubber/soft material but not for $80. Any ideas?

Last edited:

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, worked that out LOL. Sorry. I forgot about the second MIC port to be truthful, but yes, the STM Grip 2 has the opening for the second MIC. Have it in hand and think its the best cover/case I've had for any of my Ipads and I have a stack of unusable cases and covers from a keyboard case to just the foldable/magnetic cover, Targus, DODO, original Apple cover, etc. Its not flashy, just very practical with good protection for corners and the whole Ipad, magnetic cover that also has a latch which I appreciate while in my bag, really good kickstand. It may be too basic for some as its not "pretty" but I've had 'pretty' and had cases that do more like the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard and this hits all bases I wanted this time. Luckily there are cases out there for all of us %>)

I really liked the case but it doesn't protect all the sides, it leaves a lot of openings.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just got the Maroo leather case for Christmas. Totally HATE it! It's going back! Nice leather is all I can find good about it. I could live without the magnetic switch IF the physical switch wasn't covered by the corner clip! What a totally stupid design feature! I can barely turn the iPad on and off.
And to top it off, the sticker on the front says it has a magnetic switch....which it doesn't. I'm so disappointed that I asked my daughter to get it for me for Christmas.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just got the Maroo leather case for Christmas. Totally HATE it! It's going back! Nice leather is all I can find good about it. I could live without the magnetic switch IF the physical switch wasn't covered by the corner clip! What a totally stupid design feature! I can barely turn the iPad on and off.

I like mine a lot. The upper corner clip has a tab that is used to operate the physical switch underneath. Not the easiest to use, but not impossible either. My 71 yr old arthritic hands and fingers certainly don't have any trouble with it.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like mine a lot. The upper corner clip has a tab that is used to operate the physical switch underneath. Not the easiest to use, but not impossible either. My 71 yr old arthritic hands and fingers certainly don't have any trouble with it.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I totally love mine, so much so that I'm going to buy another colour, you get used to the on/off switch being covered, it gets easier, i have Arthritis too and its no problem to me, sorry markbnh that you don't like it, I'm just in love with it still, i still get a kick from looking at at it.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got a white (silver) iPad Air and I bought the black Apple case with it. They look great together. I don't mind the power button being covered, but having the volume buttons covered is going to take some getting used to.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ-do you have any pictures of your case? Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

Sorry, Ski, I'm just seeing this post. Some pics are included.

Attachments

• image-2903576868.jpg
    image-2903576868.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 257
  • image-1452915242.jpg
    image-1452915242.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 276
  • image-2661818221.jpg
    image-2661818221.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 265
  • image-208192241.jpg
    image-208192241.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 272

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want a case and will eventually get one I guess, but I'm so enjoying the form factor and holding it just as it is! I just hate to cover it up!

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

Reaction score
My wife gave me the Ipad Air yesterday for Christmas and also gave me the Otterbox Defender case for it. Yes, it does add a little bulk but it still feels very light even with the case on it. I have been a big fan of the Otterboxes for a few years and I feel much better with it in a sturdy case. For me it is worth the added bulk.

Most reactions

Latest posts