What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad air case

karpcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought ipad air and this is my first ipad. Somewhat I don't like apple smart case or cover because of uncomfortable angle viewing. Can u please suggest some third party case sold in retail stores??

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I 'm looking also. This is my third ipad so i have a number of cases and covers LOL so know what I want this time. I want light but reasonably protective, several angles for viewing and typing, auto on/off cover. The STM Grip 2 appears to meet all of this criteria at about 6 ounces but it won't be available for maybe 5 weeks. I'm scrambling for something to use in the interim. My husband will likely choose either my Logitech ultrathin keyboard case or the Targus case for the ipad 3 he will inherit from me--both nice but i actually want something even lighter but otherwise very similar to the Targus.

Anyone find something that is really basic, light and protective of screen and back with auto cover??

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Just ordered my iPad Air. I am holding out for the Native Union Gripster stand which I have for the iPad 3. I have tried so many holders and stands and this is the best I have found. I wrote to the company and they say the iPad Air version should be out by the end of the year. Until it comes out I will just use the Smart Cover.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I too am looking for a case, there's quite a few on Amazon, some are available from the middle of the month, until i find one i have the slip case from my previous iPad, i do feel it's a bit vulnerable at the moment though.

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am looking for a case, there's quite a few on Amazon, some are available from the middle of the month, until i find one i have the slip case from my previous iPad, i do feel it's a bit vulnerable at the moment though.

Does the Air even fit in the older cases? I have at least 5 for my iPad 2, I figured they would be useless once I upgrade.

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered my iPad Air. I am holding out for the Native Union Gripster stand which I have for the iPad 3. I have tried so many holders and stands and this is the best I have found. I wrote to the company and they say the iPad Air version should be out by the end of the year. Until it comes out I will just use the Smart Cover.

Is the grip steer a case you carry around, or a stand for a desk or table?

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always purchased them on eBay. Anywhere from $10-15 each. I like the rotating ones that stand up in portrait or landscape modes. They get kind of floppy after lots of use, though.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Is the grip steer a case you carry around, or a stand for a desk or table?

It's both, really. It attaches to the back of the iPad, protecting the back, but it also has a D-shaped grip on the back that pivots and rotates to any angle so it can be used as both a grip and a stand that goes to portrait or landscape and any angle. It's nice because when you do want to prop it up, you don't have to go get another stand. It's always attached. And it can be used with the Smart Cover. Most of the time, I don't even hold my iPad, I just prop it on my belly with the Smart Cover folded back for extra stability.

I have a review on my personal site but I'm apparently not allowed to post links here. Look it up. It really is wonderful. Ah, I have a picture… mine is black, but my sister bought the silver and it shows fingerprints a lot less.
y8apemab.jpg

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the Air even fit in the older cases? I have at least 5 for my iPad 2, I figured they would be useless once I upgrade.
No, the older cases and Smart covers won't fit the Air, it's smaller and thinner, my leather Smart cover is redundant now as is my back cover.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope, none of the older cases fit. I have a stack--but my husband inherited my Three so he can use the Targus, Logitech keyboard and the cheap "smart cover" and gel back (though the SC is PINK which was all that was available at the time LOL). I have pulled out the original ugly rubbery Ipad One cover--we have two of them--and am using it just for safety--it keeps it light and not slippy and covers the screen. The Air moves around in it and I have to wiggle it to reach the ports and power button but there really isn't anything available except Apple covers and cases and I feel they are over priced and not what I want anyhow.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today i went to the Apple store and treated myself to the official leather Smart case, expensive but very nice....I got Red.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today i went to the Apple store and treated myself to the official leather Smart case, expensive but very nice....I got Red.

Ooh, I'll bet that looks nice! I got the Product Red Smart Cover - I imagine having both case and cover looks kewl as heck! :)

Marilyn

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ooh, I'll bet that looks nice! I got the Product Red Smart Cover - I imagine having both case and cover looks kewl as heck! :)

Marilyn
Yes it does look really nice, everything is covered, there's no open sides, I had no problem choosing the colour as red is my fave colour :) Nice having the Apple logo on the back too.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far I'm trying to stay light this time and picked up a blue Smart Cover only today. I've had the leather SlickWrap on my ipad 2 for almost 3 years and it held up well. I notice that SlickWrap just came out with their new ipad air covers today. Tempting! So many decisions!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Last edited:

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The viewing angle on the smart case for the air is much better than the original. I can't begin to describe just how much nicer it looks too. Well worth the money.

Most reactions

Latest posts