What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 5 to be thinner and lighter, could have iPad mini design specs

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
screen-shot-2012-12-23-at-5-57-57-pm.png

Apple just launched two months ago the iPad mini and the full sized iPad 4, but that doesn’t mean that rumors prophesying the birth of the fifth generation tablet haven’t started yet. According to a new bundle that just emerged, the iPad 5 is headed for an early 2013 launch, despite its predecessor being so freshly squeezed. Macotakara was the website who revealed the information citing the usual bunch of shady insider sources that seem to claim Apple has scheduled the unveiling of the next generation iPad in March.

They also added some interesting details about how the new device is going to look like. Apparently, it will feature a lighter and thinner frame and will borrow some details from the iPad Mini design. The sources were very specific concerning the dimensions of the upcoming tablet. Apparently, it is going to have 4mm in height, 17 mm in width and 2mm in depth.
Here’s some of the original report courtesy of Google Translate:

““Chinese CBSi ZOL is, the report of AppleInsider, but not touching only iPad mini next, according to informed sources, and seems to have a plan announced in March 2013 (5th generation) iPad otherwise tells. In order to counter the Nexus 7 and Surface, it seems there is a possibility that the product release cycle faster.â€

Macotakara has made a lot of accurate predictions so far concerning Apple. Plus, we have to consider the fact that Apple usually unleashes its tablets in spring. Also, back in November, DigiTimes reported that a new iPad might be released somewhere in the middle of 2013. Could these rumors actually be true?

Source: 9to5Mac

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If Apple goes to a six month release cycle, it will only hurt sales. I cannot see this happening.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
If Apple goes to a six month release cycle, it will only hurt sales. I cannot see this happening.

I don't see how? Whatever they release seems to sell like hot cakes even if the released product is of dubious value or a prior one was released recently. The lightness and dimensions will win people over. Plus, lots of folks out there buy the latest and greatest no matter what. Hence, apple has trillions of dollars in cash at all times. ;)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see how? Whatever they release seems to sell like hot cakes even if the released product is of dubious value or a prior one was released recently. The lightness and dimensions will win people over. Plus, lots of folks out there buy the latest and greatest no matter what. Hence, apple has trillions of dollars in cash at all times. ;)

Though Apple could certainly buck the tide. Historically high tech devices released too close together result in users skipping two generations and not just one. They feel like their investment is cheapened too quickly and demand lower prices as well.

Again, Apple could end up being treated differently, but I highly doubt it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though Apple could certainly buck the tide. Historically high tech devices released too close together result in users skipping two generations and not just one. They feel like their investment is cheapened too quickly and demand lower prices as well.

I think mikey is poking fun at some apple users who see the world differently than he/she. :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I think mikey is poking fun at some apple users who see the world differently than he/she. :)

Actually, not even but ill take credit for the fun anyways. Hey, we've all been there, chasing down the latest and greatest. I did it in the early days with PCs and video game systems. I understand what they are feeling!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:

That's interesting, I assumed with devices like tablets that most wouldn't dare skip two generations. And here I sit with a lowly iPad 2 :D

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's interesting, I assumed with devices like tablets that most wouldn't dare skip two generations. And here I sit with a lowly iPad 2 :D

I tend to skip a generation unless there's a killer upgrade that I want. I didn't need the camera that was the chief upgrade of the iPad 2, but I definitely wanted the 4G speed of the iPad 3 (really, I still see almost no impact from the Retina display with my apps). I didn't bother with the 4 and I can't see moving to the 5 unless Apple increases the storage, which I don't see them doing since that's not a priority for most customers.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm happy to consider new devices, whenever. I don't have a buying pattern. I buy what looks good to me and my wallet, lol.

The sales of companies are not my concern, unless I own their stocks.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally would like to see Apple stick with yearly releases(before the holidays schedule) and make BIGGER upgrades between device gens. Seem like the increments in improvements are so tiny on a 6 mos schedule. You can only improve so much in such a short time and make it from R&D to manufacture line to stores. I think you basically gain nothing market wise by smaller improvements which tend to make people skip gens(or two)instead of upgrading with each. And with tablets, you don't get the cheaper cost of a device being part of a cell plan like you do with iPhones. Tablets are just pure cost to the buyer.
I dunno. I guess you get buyers that offset each gen. Like say, I have a 3 but wouldn't consider an upgrade until the 5. But there are some 2 users that got the 4s and if that pattern continued, might get a 6 that I would skip since I got a 5. But my thinking is that if each gen is substantially better than the last but yearly, most buyers wouldn't skip every other. So you get the same really, but apple incurs less cost in manufacturing & R&D the smaller device increments.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
I tend to skip a generation unless there's a killer upgrade that I want. I didn't need the camera that was the chief upgrade of the iPad 2, but I definitely wanted the 4G speed of the iPad 3 (really, I still see almost no impact from the Retina display with my apps). I didn't bother with the 4 and I can't see moving to the 5 unless Apple increases the storage, which I don't see them doing since that's not a priority for most customers.

Actually, storage is a fairly big issue for people from what I read and hear. The key is that it costs a good buck to get lots of storage as evident by the up charge between iPad models going from 32gb to 64gb.

How cool would a 256gb iPad be? :D

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And a lot will be hesitant to buy now if they know an upgraded model will be out in a short while hurting sales

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, storage is a fairly big issue for people from what I read and hear. The key is that it costs a good buck to get lots of storage as evident by the up charge between iPad models going from 32gb to 64gb.

I will be needing that to keep all the pictures of my family year after year.
Bobbi

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In order to have a thinner, lighter iPad, there would have to be an advance in battery technology that enabled smaller batteries to hold enough power to run the iPad 5 for the same 10 hour battery life.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:

It would cost a fortune.... I might as well get a new laptop with the $$$. I had a discussion about this concerning the iPod touch with an apple employee one day and he said the same thing and that it probably wouldn't happen. Then again, we won't know until it hits the stores lol.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts