What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinner, Lighter iPad Mini Set to Launch Later This Year

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
iPad_mini.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on a new story from DigiTimes that says that it has heard from its sources in Apple’s supply chain that Apple plans to launch a thinner, lighter iPad mini in the second half of 2013. Apparently the changes to the next iPad mini will be more of a minor refresh than a full-blown redesign, with a more significant upgrade planned for the iPad mini line in 2014. According to AppleInsider, production on the third version of the iPad mini is due to get underway at the end of 2013, ready for release in 2014. The sources also said that next year’s iPad mini will have a 2,048 x 1536 Retina display, and, intriguingly, an “almost bezel-free look,†which sounds very interesting! Although it’s fair to say that DigiTimes can be a little bit hit and miss with its sources, this current story is similar to other recent reports from Apple’s supply chain that likewise said that the next iPad mini will not have a Retina display, and that we’ll have to wait until 2014 for an iPad mini with Retina display. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Rumor: Apple to launch redesigned iPad mini this year, Retina model in 2014

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For real....a new one this year and another release in 2014? Def food for thought....!!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm really disappointed if no retina display. Bobbi

Quite frankly I don't see the point of another release of the mini that doesn't have the retina display. What's gonna be the upgrade or selling point? Lighter and thinner? It's already like a sheet of paper as it is. Oh well, I'm a red meat user anyways, I like the big iPads. :)

tristandcarroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I just bought the mini and don't regret it. Sure, a better display would be nice, but if they reduce the bezel further that will make it harder to use. The same thing goes if they decide to make it thinner. It can't get any thinner; the mini pushes the boundaries of how thin a tablet can be already. And besides, Apple products have a pretty long lifespan. I expect my mini to get updated to ios 8 at least.

Callihan_44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine a thinner version that would still feel strong, I'm happy with the current version and will definitely get my money's worth out of it waiting till 2014 to upgrade.

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine a thinner version that would still feel strong, I'm happy with the current version and will definitely get my money's worth out of it waiting till 2014 to upgrade.

I'll wait till 2014 to upgrade as well. How can the Mini possibly get any thinner? It would seem that it would be more prone to breaking if it were any thinner.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about the 2014 update, are they skipping the 2013 update? I was going to get one for my granddaughter who will be 13 at the beginning of next year but she needs it in the fall. Fortunately she is very careful with her things so I won't worry about thin.

Bobbi

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
compared to my first gen iPad, the mini is a feather. I plan on upgrading the end of this year since I can't update my iPad and I brought it along today to the apple store- the crispness of the iPad 2 or a mini make me want to upgrade now but I want to wait and see what happens around holiday season- I also found out Apple will buy my brick of an iPad even if it is in app store card- 120.00 smackers when I only paid 150.00 last year? Now, mini vs iPad 4 is my only choice-

Appleipaduser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I be very disappointed if Apple does not have an iPad Mini Retina in October 2013. They have a year to develop and test a retina model. Even Google has a retina plus 323ppi screen on their second generation Nexus 7. Why in the world would Apple have to delay it for battery life and production problems with screens when Google can do it without a catch.

Brontesmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am aware with both the updates and the fact about the thinness of the products is also in my knowledge .. so what .. as the real taste i will get once the device would be in my hands

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I be very disappointed if Apple does not have an iPad Mini Retina in October 2013. They have a year to develop and test a retina model. Even Google has a retina plus 323ppi screen on their second generation Nexus 7. Why in the world would Apple have to delay it for battery life and production problems with screens when Google can do it without a catch.

If only to avoid the bad PR they would receive, they will produce a retina mini THIS year.

Most reactions