What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 5 to be thinner and lighter, could have iPad mini design specs

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, that's why I ruled out buying such tablets.

I have to admit that this was a little disappointing to me, because one reason to go Android is to get USB. It seems like the world is backwards.

Luckly, a $3 app and a OTG usb cable solves the problem (sad, and they should have put this in the box or build in support). And since both my tablets are Nexii running 4.2.1, it works on both. Also, both devices work with my Air Stash, which also works with both of my iPads, so I'm totally covered.

The Samsung influence on the Nexus 10 is very welcome, too. This tablet feels good in the hands, has speakers on the front, has a lovely screen, and since it has Android 4.2.1, it is really pretty nice.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to admit that this was a little disappointing to me, because one reason to go Android is to get USB. It seems like the world is backwards.

Luckly, a $3 app and a OTG usb cable solves the problem (sad, and they should have put this in the box or build in support). And since both my tablets are Nexii running 4.2.1, it works on both. Also, both devices work with my Air Stash, which also works with both of my iPads, so I'm totally covered.

The Samsung influence on the Nexus 10 is very welcome, too. This tablet feels good in the hands, has speakers on the front, has a lovely screen, and since it has Android 4.2.1, it is really pretty nice.

Nice collection of gadgets, which offers lots of functionality.

It's great that we have choices among gadgets, and that they're at diff price points, so that more consumers can have access and flexibility.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I for one am tired of all the new devices being touted as thinner....I do not want to hold a ipad that is like a sheet of paper in my hands.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I for one am tired of all the new devices being touted as thinner....I do not want to hold a ipad that is like a sheet of paper in my hands.

Yes, there is a limit to how thin they will be allowed to get, though, so I seriously doubt if you will see an Ipad that is paper thin....I personally think the iPad mini is about as thin as I would like a device to be, but the ipad 3 is a bit thinner than I would like. Clearly, at some point thinness because a disadvantage.

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Yes, there is a limit to how thin they will be allowed to get, though, so I seriously doubt if you will see an Ipad that is paper thin....I personally think the iPad mini is about as thin as I would like a device to be, but the ipad 3 is a bit thinner than I would like. Clearly, at some point thinness because a disadvantage.

Thinness brings problem with overheating.

Sent from my iPad 4

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've taken on some extra work at my job so that I can buy the iPad 5 if Apple sticks to its March schedule. I'm almost out of storage saving tricks for my 32GB iPad 2.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I've taken on some extra work at my job so that I can buy the iPad 5 if Apple sticks to its March schedule. I'm almost out of storage saving tricks for my 32GB iPad 2.

Very nice!!

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Strange...my MacBook Air has two usb ports, so your notion that Apple doesn't do USB drives or any of that stuff is a bit off. I, for one, prefer not to have usb ports sticking out of an otherwise thin device. And even without usb, apple can't control what I put on my iPad. If you want usb, get an Android, but you'd better hurry, cause more of and more of them are coming without the ability to transfer files via USB. Witness the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10, neither have usb support for other than charging. Also, the Asus Infinity Pad (you have to use the 30-pin connector, a $20 add on). These are some of the top, most powerful Android tablets.

Fair enough. I should have said no USB regarding tablets.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MILJAN said:
Thinness brings problem with overheating.

Sent from my iPad 4

Agreed. I feel that if a table gets too light that it loses its feel in your hands and could be easier to drop, hit something with, I dunno. I prefer a little more solid, weighty feel myself. Too light is just to light.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed. I feel that if a table gets too light that it loses its feel in your hands and could be easier to drop, hit something with, I dunno. I prefer a little more solid, weighty feel myself. Too light is just to light.

I separate thinness and weight. I'd like lighter tablets, but I don't need them to get thinner. I found the 30-pin dock connector more user friendly for seating iDevices in docks, for instance, when the devices were thicker.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One writer at MacWorld predicts that Apple is going to shift to an October schedule for new iPads.

My target date to buy a new iPad is March, but if I get extremely ruthless about storage, maybe I could last until then. It would be a definite stretch.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only way Apple will get away with bringing out yet another ipad in March is if it is a totally different design. In the USA they have just done a survey of X number of die hard Apple fans and much to everybody's surprise 43% were not happy with the idea of Apple releasing a ipad every six months. and should they launch one that is not a great deal of difference than the last two then i think it will just kill off the dominance of the market. three ipads in twelve months is just taking the p**s. Their was and still is a lot of ipad 3 owners that are still unhappy about the ipad 4 and that was after seven months can you imagine the uproar that will happen for those who have just got the ipad 4 then three months later Apple come along with a ipad 5?.

Never understood why some people worry about this sort of thing.
Don't see the point. I read this on other apple forums.
I just buy a product and enjoy it. If it becomes old,struggling,and difficult to function I upgrade. Such as my recent upgrade to the iPad 1 3G 64 to the iPad 4 LTE 32.
Only thing that mattered to me was keeping my grandpa unlimited.
They could bring out a new iPad every other month if they want. I only buy or upgrade if I need or want to like any other product.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The people that worry most about frequent product introductions seem to be those who always want the top of the line device and are disappointed and frequently angry that they no longer have the newest device.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never understood why some people worry about this sort of thing.

A big selling point for Apple devices is they supposedly hold their value better than Android/PC devices. Friends of mine always explain away paying $1600 for a MacBook by saying they'll get a grand for it 2 years down the line (ignoring the fact I've owned 2 pc laptops in that time and still come out ahead...).

A faster upgrade cycle would gut used iPad values. A 1.5 year-old iPad that's one generation behind the current model is one thing - if it's 3 or 4 generations behind, that's quite another. Most people offset the cost of a new iDevices by selling their old ones. Apple will cut into their own sales if people become reluctant to close a larger price gap to upgrade.

Most reactions