What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Next iPad be Thinner and Lighter Thanks to “G/F2†Touchscreen Tech?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_5_iLounge.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on a new story from DigiTimes that says that it has heard from its sources in Apple’s supply chain that the next full-sized iPad will have “G/F2 (DITO) thin-film type†touchscreen tech. According to the sources, this is because this tech will enable Apple to make the iPad 5 much thinner and lighter than the fourth-gen iPad, which uses glass-on-glass tech. AppleInsider says that Apple has apparently already ensured that it has a solid enough supply of the tech, having approached Nitto in Japan to provide the thin-film required for the technology, Nissha Printing for the touchscreen modules, TPK in Taiwan for lamination, and LG Display and Sharp for the display panels. DigiTimes says that working together, this team should be able to supply 5 million units each month. As AppleInsider notes, this is not the first time that Apple has been rumoured to be thinking of using G/F2 touchscreen tech, with KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo saying last year that Apple would be using G/F2 tech in its next full-screen iPad, which would result in a much thinner and lighter tablet.

Source: Rumor: 'G/F2' touchscreen will make Apple's next 9.7" iPad thinner, lighter

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is one I hope is true.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to another blog, this is the same screen as the iPad Mini? For those of you with an iPad Mini, how is that screen holding up? I note that this product is described as a 'film' rather than glass. If this deployment is for the next generation of iPad, that is really something to look forward to-->October 2013? It would be nice to have a lighter big screen iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to another blog, this is the same screen as the iPad Mini? For those of you with an iPad Mini, how is that screen holding up? I note that this product is described as a 'film' rather than glass. If this deployment is for the next generation of iPad, that is really something to look forward to-->October 2013? It would be nice to have a lighter big screen iPad.

The screen in my mini is fine...it does have a different sound to it than that in my 3....I think another poster said it sounded "cheap" but I'm not sure I would use that term. But it does sound different...hollow somehow. More plastic like if you tap it with your fingernail, for example...but plastic for the screen is fine with me. I'm not saying it is plastic, though, as I'm not sure what the screen is really made of.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
This is one I hope is true.

As long as they don't take away the solid feel that my iPad 2 has.. Thinner can NOT be accompanied by a plasticky, overly light feeling. ;)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
As long as they don't take away the solid feel that my iPad 2 has.. Thinner can NOT be accompanied by a plasticky, overly light feeling. ;)

Yes, I don't mind heavy as long as I feel like have a quality product.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It's not ever going to be "plasticky" or overly light. I assume you know about the laws of physics. No other tablet on the market this size is overly light and apple doesn't do plastic.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
It's not ever going to be "plasticky" or overly light. I assume you know about the laws of physics. No other tablet on the market this size is overly light and apple doesn't do plastic.

Well, according to the rumor mill, they are supposed to be making a less expensive plastic iPhone sometime this year.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, according to the rumor mill, they are supposed to be making a less expensive plastic iPhone sometime this year.

There are lots of rumors. I think that one is bogus. Samsung does the plastic. I don't see why apple needs to go there. The cheaper iPhones are the 4s and the 4.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
There are lots of rumors. I think that one is bogus. Samsung does the plastic. I don't see why apple needs to go there. The cheaper iPhones are the 4s and the 4.

Well, we won't know for sure until they make the announcement ...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, we won't know for sure until they make the announcement ...

True. Lots of rumors either die or are proven. I'm still guessing we won't see iPad 5 until oct/nov.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

Physics? Too deep for me. I just want the thing to still have some red meat in its DNA. :)

Most reactions