What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 4 and "jailbreaking"

garybrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading about "jailbreaking" and I'm not quite sure exactly what it means. Can someone pleas explain in VERY simple terms exactly what "jailbreaking" is and what it supposed to be able to do?
Thanks
P.S. just curious about the term.

Zniper119

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By jailbreaking your iPad you will be able to install third-party software (for example, if you don't want to buy them) and much more. IMO, jailbreaking your device will unlock its true potential - you wouldn't believe how many things with will be able to do with it afterwards.

However, there's a downside! If you're not careful ot you just use a bad jailbreaking method, you can brick your iPad. Also, you will probably lose its warranty too. Buuut, if you're careful, everything will be alright.

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. Do not post any more links to paid iPad Guides. If you do this again you will be banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By jailbreaking your iPad you will be able to install third-party software (for example, if you don't want to buy them) and much more. IMO, jailbreaking your device will unlock its true potential - you wouldn't believe how many things with will be able to do with it afterwards.

However, there's a downside! If you're not careful ot you just use a bad jailbreaking method, you can brick your iPad. Also, you will probably lose its warranty too. Buuut, if you're careful, everything will be alright.

This is factually incorrect information. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick an iPad when attempting to jailbreak it.
Also, Jailbreaking is NOT about getting apps for free that you would otherwise pay for as you seem to insinuate. We take a very dim view of that here! Please read our rules otherwise you will be issued with infractions.

We have a hacking section of these forums which contains a wealth of information. OP, I suggest you head on over there and read all our sticky threads and feel free to ask any questions you like. However, please be aware it is currently impossible to jailbreak an iPad4 :(

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
This is factually incorrect information. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick an iPad when attempting to jailbreak it.
Also, Jailbreaking is NOT about getting apps for free that you would otherwise pay for as you seem to insinuate. We take a very dim view of that here! Please read our rules otherwise you will be issued with infractions.

We have a hacking section of these forums which contains a wealth of information. OP, I suggest you head on over there and read all our sticky threads and feel free to ask any questions you like. However, please be aware it is currently impossible to jailbreak an iPad4 :(

Plus the said free App Store in cydia is now shut down:)

OP
G

garybrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would never mess around with my (wife's) Ipad. Had been reading some magazines and they mentioned "jailbreaking" and i was curious. With so many apps why would anyone want more? So now that has been explained, a few of the resonses mentoned "brick my Ipad". So, my next logical question is "what is brick my IPad". As a senior and first time Apple product user just trying to get a handle on these things.
Everyone, thanks for your help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Brick your iPad" is a term often [and improperly] used by people who don't know better. Unless there is a hardware fault on the iPad (which is very, very rare). You cannot brick the iPad (or any iDevice, for that matter).

Bricking a device means you've mucked it up so much that you can no longer get it working or running. It is completely dead. Hence, the term 'brick" as that is what it is, an inert lump of metal and plastic that will never work again.

The reason you can't "brick" an iDevice is because Apple has developed the DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode for them. DFU mode is a state that you can put your iDevice into where it can interface with iTunes but does not load the device's operating system or boot loader. So, it's as if it's in an initial "waiting" mode - waiting for iTunes to tell it what to do.

This means that you can always install a "fresh" iOS on the device using iTunes. iTunes will recognize an iDevice in DFU mode and will prompt you to enter recovery. If you accept the prompt, you will given the chance to load a fresh iOS on it. This will put your iDevice back to a fresh, out-of-the-box state with the most current iOS.

Since this is at the initial level, nothing loads on the iDevice that may have caused it to be unresponsive. So, while an iDevice can be messed up so much that is requires a "restore" (what you do when you follow through with the DFU mode), it cannot be 'bricked."

Hope that clarifies things.

Marilyn

Most reactions