What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rumors swirled after the announcment and before the launch of the iPad 2 that the third iteration of the iPad could be coming sooner than we previously anticipated. The buzz was drowned out in excitment over the iPad 2 launch, but now the dust is begining to settle and I am begining to see more talk, especially in these forums--scattered pieces of speculation concerning the "iPad 3."

If we see a third iPad by this holiday season:

-What are your general thoughts?
-Is it fair to consumers buying (and currently waiting for) the iPad 2 (such as myself)
-Is it a smart move for Apple as a company?

IMO -- A third gen release of the iPad this year would be an inexcusable, low blow by Apple. They would be slapping their core customers in the face. A third gen iPad would need massive improvments over the second iPad merley to justify its exitence. By that I mean it would need a retina display, massive memory upgrade for the standard model, and a damn good camera upgrade. That's just for starters. If Apple is capable of such upgrades in the next upcoming months then they should have delayed the launch of iPad 2. It is not as if Apple is trying to develop some new revolutionary technology. All of the componets expected in iPad 3 already exist in other devices. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that Apple would lose at least one loyal customer.

iPad 3 waiting in the wings? « CanoeTech Blog

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think with the crisis in japan and already delayed supplies, we can expect apple to wait til 12. It would be a landmark year to have MacBooks, TWO iPads and iPhones coming out in one year. But it's risky at the same time. Is there any buzz on a new iPod? (What could be upgraded anyway?)

The biggest issue I have been hearing buzzin concern 3rd gen pad is variable size like android. But apple should not feel the need to compete with over 1 million apps (no matter how useless some are, theyre free) I like the big pad. I ain't using it as no e reader pshhhh

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like others here I think iPad 3 will be available about a year from now as well. However it's like any I.T. purchase...if you need it and can use it now, buy it now. If not, wait. The great thing about Apple products is that they hold their value better than almost anything (computers or otherwise) so there will be a market for a used iPad. Bottom line? Don't over think it or you'll make yourself crazy.

If it helps, a cue as to what might happen may be found in the recent 2011 WWDC announcement...or lack thereof. Everyone expected the iPhone 5 to be announced at this year's event. Speculation now is that it may be delayed until late 2011 or even not until 2012. Is that to avoid the fuss that Verizon customers that just bought an iPhone 4 might make? Supply issues? 4G/LTE? Possibly. Who knows though?

With respect to second guessing Apple...my shares of APPL couldn't be happier. (Caution, past performance does not guarantee future earnings. :D )

I have a lot of fun reading speculations and rumors about Apple products...it's always exciting. My wife on the other hand may one day hurt herself from extended eye-rolling from how often I talk about it. ;)

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know, Apple has NEVER strayed from their annual release of their mobile devices and there is no reason to believe they will start with the iPad3.

I would not be surprised if the exact launch date of the iPad3 has already been set.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is it reasonable to expect another model of ipad in 2011?

Rumors swirled after the announcment and before the launch of the iPad 2 that the third iteration of the iPad could be coming sooner than we previously anticipated. The buzz was drowned out in excitment over the iPad 2 launch, but now the dust is begining to settle and I am begining to see more talk, especially in these forums--scattered pieces of speculation concerning the "iPad 3."

If we see a third iPad by this holiday season:

-What are your general thoughts?
-Is it fair to consumers buying (and currently waiting for) the iPad 2 (such as myself)
-Is it a smart move for Apple as a company?

IMO -- A third gen release of the iPad this year would be an inexcusable, low blow by Apple. They would be slapping their core customers in the face. A third gen iPad would need massive improvments over the second iPad merley to justify its exitence. By that I mean it would need a retina display, massive memory upgrade for the standard model, and a damn good camera upgrade. That's just for starters. If Apple is capable of such upgrades in the next upcoming months then they should have delayed the launch of iPad 2. It is not as if Apple is trying to develop some new revolutionary technology. All of the componets expected in iPad 3 already exist in other devices. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that Apple would lose at least one loyal customer.

iPad 3 waiting in the wings? « CanoeTech Blog

Let's establish some ground rules here. iPad3 is a rumor ... Apple in their intro of iPad2 stated "this is the year for iPad2". If you further understand the major upgrade of iPad2 with A5 and the graphics performance then you will be better equipped to ask about the feasibility of even considering higher resolution displays or cameras or the like in another model this year. (see Anandtech.com). There are a lot of folks spewing forth I wants. Apple still rules with over 10 hours of battery and very attractive fixed pricing.

The next is strictly opinion ... mine. Apple caught the competition flatfooted by the performance factors and the timing of iPad2. This has sent Xoom and Galaxy back to the drawing boards. The new performance engine is geared to gaming... and its looks spectacular. Xoom was designed to compete with ipad. Whoops.

If you consider that with the expectation of selling upwards of 50 million ipad2's then the idea of another interation makes no sense to me. The lines are long now, and the demand is high. The competition is scrambling. Apple is getting parts and production capacity settled down. To introduce different parts at this time just doesn't compute to me.

As I dig for info, I see a lot of posters just asking the same thing over and over, and it just goes around and around. This thread is just another instance of this cycle. I will react when Apple let's us know what iPad3 is.
Just my opinion. This was intended to be a nice response, not criticizing for asking the question.

Last edited:

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that important

I learned long ago to not bother worrying about something that hasn't happened, or about something I have no control over. I've also learned not to pay much attention to innuendo and rumor.

Technology changes fast (thank goodness). When I purchase a computer, I do so knowing that it won't be long before something faster and more advanced will be available. When I buy a car, I know that within months a new model with fancier options will be coming off the line. Ditto for cell phones, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, etc., etc., etc.

Would I diss a company for coming out with a new model? Of course not. Nor would I think they "cheated" me somehow by improving on existing technology.

The only thing that's important to me is that the product I buy is of good quality, reliable, and serves my needs.

IF Apple introduces the iPad3 this year and it features even more innovative technology, that's fantastic. I have nothing but the deepest admiration for the dreamers and engineers who create such marvelous tools which make our lives easier - and a heck of a lot more fun!

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I know, Apple has NEVER strayed from their annual release of their mobile devices and there is no reason to believe they will start with the iPad3.

I would not be surprised if the exact launch date of the iPad3 has already been set.

Sounds like Apple might be "straying" this year with the iPhone......just sayin'

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just spot year of iPad 2 doesn't mean I have to wait a whole year. T-23 days!

But I really hope iPhone isn't delayed. I'm using a 3G and it can barely compete with iPF. I'm banking on it. Good thing about them is they usually release launch date way sooner than 1 week. Hopefully it's around julyish when my contract is just days from being out. I can avoid rush and get my new phone in a jiffy as well as sign my soul away for another two years. :D

Last edited:

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From what I've read, it isn't going to happen this summer like everyone seemed to believe. Who knows, maybe C4 will be right.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I could not agree more Madhatter you are spot on Apple follows a cycle of releases it is not to say they will not change but one has to look at the timing from a market point of view. Ipad 2 was on time only change is it was released to some international companies earlier than last time. We get constant rumours about when or what will be released and as madhatter said it goes round and round. I find it funny as back in the nineties one hardly heard about Apple except that they were going down and had big problems it was all about Microsoft etc in these days now one cannot read a paper or go on line without some article about Apple being published. It seems to me wanna be editors love picking of bits of news and publishing it regardless if it is correct or not....

One thing I have learnt in the almost 20 years as a Apple reseller only Apple knows the release date and they keep it so quiet not even resellers and distributers know until the last minute. This is frustrating to end users but as one saw with ipad 2 Apple refunded $100 to those whom purchased ipad 1 with in 2 weeks of release. Not many companies I know do that.

So where does this leave us given the situation with ipad 2 and knowing Apple stated this is the year of ipad2 one would assume that that is a message to the world that ipad 3 wont happen this year. My point out of this is at some point you have to hop on the train waiting around for the next train most likely cause you more stress and frustration than you really want and besides you miss out on the enjoyment of the ipad. The other factor thatI found and I think is real important is cost of ownership Most computers one purchase when you sell them after say 10 months they drop to below 60% of value and are hard to sell because technology changes every 12 weeks the ipad however holds its value for example I purchased my ipad 1 for Aus $750 and sold it 10 months later for $450 and I had 30 people bidding on it. If this had been a lap top I doubt I would have sold it for more than $300

Any way thats my 2 cents worth

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Technically, we never know of the official word on a new product until the day they announce it. People forget to soon to how b4 ipad2 was released how much rumor and speculation went around about it. Although no one had concrete facts or Apple saying so themselves. No one "officially" knew of ipad2 until that day they had the keynote where Jobs presented it. So Apple thrives in rumorville. I believe Apple will change up the release scheme, and release ipad3 b4 the holidays. Watch! Ipad3 will probaly have 1gb of RAM, better cams, even faster/better processor thn the new A5, some type of new better resolution display( doesn't have to exactly be retina but better thn current models), possibly new ports(maybe thunderbolt) and it's gonna have the new IOS 5. Possibly some other new surprises also. Just as analysts speculated on ipad2 and was dead on correct, these same analysts now saying enough evidence to believe ipad3 launch b4 holidays is a real possibility. Nothing in life is guaranteed, so Never say Never. Apple can change up anytime they please. This is a business of making $$$$. Not business of being mr. Nice guy sticking to schedules and caring how people would feel if they released another model in less than a year..lol I know an ipad3 release would make ipad2 owners very mad but oh well. I hope they do release so I can upgrade my ipad1 to ipad3 ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If a third generation iPad comes out soon, I would have to get free because I would just return my iPad 2 because of light leakage and they would probably have to gve me an iPad 3 for it.

Joybulb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Won't happen till next march or April, that's how apple does things

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I learned long ago to not bother worrying about something that hasn't happened, or about something I have no control over. I've also learned not to pay much attention to innuendo and rumor.

Technology changes fast (thank goodness). When I purchase a computer, I do so knowing that it won't be long before something faster and more advanced will be available. When I buy a car, I know that within months a new model with fancier options will be coming off the line. Ditto for cell phones, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, etc., etc., etc.

Would I diss a company for coming out with a new model? Of course not. Nor would I think they "cheated" me somehow by improving on existing technology.

The only thing that's important to me is that the product I buy is of good quality, reliable, and serves my needs.

IF Apple introduces the iPad3 this year and it features even more innovative technology, that's fantastic. I have nothing but the deepest admiration for the dreamers and engineers who create such marvelous tools which make our lives easier - and a heck of a lot more fun!

I wish I had taken your approach... mine is too long winded.

You were not at all long winded in making very valid points, madhatter.

Most reactions

Latest posts