What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 impression...sorely disappointed!

tOSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is exactly why I always skip a release of a device. I skipped 2 so I upgraded from 1 to 3 and WOW, what a difference.

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
\

OK, I'll make the iBooks comparison. Thanks for the tip.

Well, I tried iBooks side by side...same book pages, same brightness level, same font size...still no difference..if anything the 1Pad2
seemed to have better contrast in the "normal" setting...maybe my eyes just aren't sharp enough to discern the difference.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree and also it's heavier and thicker I like the feel of the 2 better.

... wait... you can tell that it's thicker by a hair width, and heavier by 8%, yet you cannot see the difference in resolution?

The consequences of putting so much value on the size and weight and discounting the improvements suggests If this is such a big deal then the iPad1 would be considered complete garbage, and that android tablets which are now getting much thinner and lighter are much better - though I would have to disagree with that assessment and would be happy to share my reasons for disagreeing.

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everett, I'd like you to actually make sure that you do have an iPad3 - and not an iPad2 in an 3 box? It has happened before. The way you describe the situation sounds somewhat suspicious.

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everett, I'd like you to actually make sure that you do have an iPad3 - and not an iPad2 in an 3 box? It has happened before. The way you describe the situation sounds somewhat suspicious.

It has made me wonder! :) What's the best way to make sure...just weigh the two?
I checked the settings app and it says there that it is Model MD328LL if that tells anything?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has made me wonder! :) What's the best way to make sure...just weigh the two?
I checked the settings app and it says there that it is Model MD328LL if that tells anything?

On your keyboard do you have the new voice dictation icon? That is one way to tell....

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On your keyboard do you have the new voice dictation icon? That is one way to tell....

Hi and thanks for that! I should have thought of that myself! Yes, it does have a microphone icon on the keyboard. It is funny because
I keep thinking I have a "bug" on my screen when the keyboard pops up! :)

katt5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where I notice it is on movies and. Tv. I watch a lot of net flicks and HBO GO.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the observation some see what others don't is imho very astute, if the ipad2 is fine for your needs (like it is for me) then these upgrades are of far less value. i can see there is an improvement but not in the scale of 625 Tv to HD

if i had the 1st gen iPad then perhaps i'd be tempted to upgrade, but like i have the perfectly capable ip4 i'm not tempted to upgrade to the 4s.

in truth Apple by supporting older devices so well, they reduce their possible sales - unlike android makers.

i have friend who is into vinyl record's, has thousands of 45's and i had regarded him as fairly intelligent. him being a yorkshire no nonsense type. but i lost faith in him when he stated he had 'bought a 22ct gold plated tone arm - 'because it improved the sound'.

ok, what some people honestly believe often makes the minds of others boggle, but then to be honest i find drinking bitter from a wine glass, or a good malt whiskey from a wine flute (quantity aside ;) ) while it should taste the same - it just don't seem to taste right!

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is also the possibility that your screen isn't working properly. I've seen it happen with graphics cards where half the scan lines are not working. This would indeed produce a display on the iPad 3 that would look like a less saturated iPad 2.

I'd take it to an apple store and have them check it out.

Crphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found the new screen is very noticeable. Maybe you should see about having your eyes looked at? Fonts a much more rounded.It looks lovely. To anyone who says it isn't worth the upgrade.....it only costs approx £150 to upgrade so it hardly breaks the bank. If your eyesight is dodgy though it's maybe not worth it as its no quicker than the ipad2.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember hearing about a group of restaurants making a fortune from selling cheap liquors with forged high dollar labels. They made a fortune, and would only rarely have a customer that actually could tell the difference. When they got a complaint, they would just trot a bottle of the real stuff out. It was amazing how long they got away with it. In a way, it goes to show how few people can recognize the subtle difference between a great product and a good one. It often boils down to the amount of experience with the type of product, and a lot with the ability of the person. We all like to go out to a great restaurant, but few have to taste buds to distinguish the subtle flavor differences between a very good chef and a great chef. It does not mean we cannot enjoy a great meal, just that there are people who cannot enjoy a lesser meal, once they have experienced the best.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol. I find it hilarious that the discussion keeps meandering back to something along the lines of, if you don't want the new iPad, it must be because your tastes or senses are inferior.

The not being able to enjoy a lesser meal thing once you've had a great meal is especially funny, because many great chefs like simple foods when they cook or eat off duty. Julia Child apparently could enjoy gourmet stuff as well as McDonalds, for example.

Last edited:

Headblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Meowzart said:
Wow! That s too bad. The difference between my iPad 2 and 3 display are immediately apparent and quite profound

Agreed! I've read articles all weekend though how many people can't "see" any difference in a side by side comparison. I notice mine most in text and eye strain.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts