What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 impression...sorely disappointed!

ticka1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't you take it back to the Apple store and have them look at it. Might be you have a defective ipad.

wiscofan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an original iPad but ended up selling it. Just didn't think I was ready for an iPad but ever since I gave in for the new iPad it is a much more mature device and has some great apps. I am very pleased with it, I could tell the major upgrade of the retina display.

lique831

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can't tell the difference between the iPad 2 and the new iPad, I wouldn't force it. I would stick with the iPad 2. There are some people who can't tell the difference between HD and SD. I don't know if its a vision thing, but I wouldn't pay for upgraded technology if I couldn't enjoy it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had retina screen since 2010, on iPhone 4, then in iPhone 4S since last year. The screen is crisper, but it's not something I'm going to be wowed by in 2012.

Spryfly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some problems, and I'm not sure if its the new Ipad 3 in general, or mine.

My screen is unbearably dark, when its the same 'standard' brightness level as my Ipad 2.
Everything is much more yellow on my new screen. Although this does pop red and green, my blues are green tinged, my tans all look weirdly yellow and in my beauty magazines, the hair has the most awful brassy tones.
In the background of several note taking apps, my 'white' paper is 'yellow tinged' but I do get cleaner whites in the magazines IF I turn up the brightness beyond my ipad 2 reading. Otherwise my whites are gray-tinged.

When I access that quick 'itunes bar' on the bottom (swipe to left of where you'd normally close your apps,) my volume button goes BEHIND the 'fast forward' button! It doesn't in the ipad 2.

I am so heartbroken I'm thinking of throwing this through apple's window tomorrow and keeping my ipad 2.

I do love dictation, the print DOES look sharper- but its not this jaw dropping difference that everyone raaaaaves about. Seriously, its a little better, but all the raving? Makes no sense, especially with the color balance so far off.

I have seen one article about 'My Ipad screen has jaundice' on go mobile and it sums up my feelings about this 'new' ipad.

Does anyone else have problems with the color balance? That seems to be my real sticking point. I can't look at beaches with gray-weird sand! Heeeeelp!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Color balance (yellowness) has seemed to depend on batches since iPhone's retina screen. For true white, you might want to try an exchange.

Link to example: IPhone 4S Users Report Yellow Screen Issue | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Even non-retina screens seemed to vary by batch:

My iPad 1 is true white. My husband's iPad 1 is yellowish. My iPad 2 is yellowish. (I happen to prefer yellowish.) When iPad 2 came out, some users complained about yellowish tint (overall, not blotches), while others said theirs were true white.

This is not related to glue residue, which was a separate Apple issue; the iPads in my household look the same as day of purchase, and the screen differences are apparent. My iPhone 4S (with retina screen) is true white, as is the iPhone 4 (also with retina screen) that I used to use.

Last edited:

Headblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spryfly said:
I have some problems, and I'm not sure if its the new Ipad 3 in general, or mine.

My screen is unbearably dark, when its the same 'standard' brightness level as my Ipad 2.
Everything is much more yellow on my new screen. Although this does pop red and green, my blues are green tinged, my tans all look weirdly yellow and in my beauty magazines, the hair has the most awful brassy tones.
In the background of several note taking apps, my 'white' paper is 'yellow tinged' but I do get cleaner whites in the magazines IF I turn up the brightness beyond my ipad 2 reading. Otherwise my whites are gray-tinged.

When I access that quick 'itunes bar' on the bottom (swipe to left of where you'd normally close your apps,) my volume button goes BEHIND the 'fast forward' button! It doesn't in the ipad 2.

I am so heartbroken I'm thinking of throwing this through apple's window tomorrow and keeping my ipad 2.

I do love dictation, the print DOES look sharper- but its not this jaw dropping difference that everyone raaaaaves about. Seriously, its a little better, but all the raving? Makes no sense, especially with the color balance so far off.

I have seen one article about 'My Ipad screen has jaundice' on go mobile and it sums up my feelings about this 'new' ipad.

Does anyone else have problems with the color balance? That seems to be my real sticking point. I can't look at beaches with gray-weird sand! Heeeeelp!

Sounds like you might have gotten a lemon. Time to make a genius bar appointment.

Sent from my 3rd Gen iPad using iPF app

Spryfly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like I will.... but if anyone else has these 'yellow issues' with phones or ipads, I would love to hear about them! Please keep posting.

Meowzart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also found that if you looked at a close up photo say of a flower and compare iPad 2 and 3 the difference should be very clear. If not, I'd feel ripped off!!

katt5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should have glasses on all the time ( near sighted, far sited,stigmatized ), for some reason they bother me on computers and iPads, the latter is between 1-3 ft from me when I use it. Most of the new iPad for me is like going to get glasses and when your lenses are upgraded from the old. I have a 45 inch flat screen, dish network hd tv 9-10 ft from me, it is great and clear. But for tv and movies, having it within 3 ft., the new iPad is at least 60-80% better then my tv.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was a bit underwhelmed with my new iPad three for the first few hours then I started looking at photos and there is no match no comparison between the two the iPad 3 is one heckuva device and when you add the little tweaks that they put into it the speed the battery life all on the same size unit it's a winner. What tickles me the most is the dictation feature I'm using it for everything webpages memos notes everything amazing. I just can't believe how accurate it is and I'm not the best speaker either. Then you add on the camera at and the way that you can manipulate pictures. I purposely took a picture sideways and shaking, I was able to even it out fix the color and make it look beautiful love this thing!

ipadlover9876

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can certainly tell the difference from my friend iPad 2 and the new iPad I just got .. The picture so much more lively, like watching tv with normal picture program and the HD tv program. It's well worth 150 dollars difference between the new iPad and iPad 2.

Love it the new iPad.

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When cyncing with iTines, I chose white on black. Oh My!! I could hardly read anything, so funny
I had to start over and change it.
I upgraded from iPad 1 to 3 and as some of you said, the difference is amazing. iPad 2 came out just two months
After I bought #1, and because of the expense I decided to wait for iPad 3, so glad I did.

IPad 3 64 GB WiFi, iPad 1 same features

Most reactions

Latest posts