What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 4G+WIFI 16 GB vs Ipad 3 Wifi 32 GB

soumya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which should I get among these? I have to sacrifice space or the 4G capabilty.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. This question gets asked quite often. No one can really answer it though unless you provide more detail about how you plan to integrate the iPad into your life. How long do you expect to keep it and use it? Have you already owned a tablet?

Rienzphotoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
soumya said:
Which should I get among these? I have to sacrifice space or the 4G capabilty.

Can't tell you what to get but can tell you what I got & why ... I got the 64GB WiFi version bcoz, I have a very small battery operated device called the MiFi (battery lasts for minimum 5 hours continuous usage at 21Mbps speed) and I can connect to 5 different devices (like my iPhone, iPad & laptop) all at once ... my service provider here gives the device for free if committed to a 12 month contract ... you may want to look for something similar, check with your service provider.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it were me I'd spend the extra hundred and get the 4G speeds are great, and it will definitely coming handy if needed. If you do decide to go that route I get Verizon. I am grandfathered in under the old AT&T plan from the first generation iPad and the 4G speeds really do stink.

Mooseamoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
32 gb wifi or 16 gb 4g? That's a tough one. I usually recommend the 4 g because of the gps and the ability to get occasionally data when away from hot spots. I am grandfathered in the AT&T unlimited plan and my 4g comfortably gets 7+ Mbps and the lte has gotten 34 Mbps. However in your case, you are only looking at the 16 gb 4g. Between the operating system and apps, you can get mighty close to sucking up 16gb. If you add music and videos, you will definitely use it all up quick. I have found 32 gb to be a reasonable amount of storage. If you can swing the 32 gb 4g, you have the best of both worlds. If you really need to keep to $600, it depends on how much music and video you plan on loading on the ipad. If very little, go for the 4g. Otherwise, go for 32 gb wifi. If you do go for 4g, I would seriously look at verizon. They seem to have a much larger 4g and 3g footprint. Plus, you can still use it on a gsm network like AT&T or overseas.

Rienzphotoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rienzphotoz said:
Can't tell you what to get but can tell you what I got & why ... I got the 64GB WiFi version bcoz, I have a very small battery operated device called the MiFi (battery lasts for minimum 5 hours continuous usage at 21Mbps speed) and I can connect to 5 different devices (like my iPhone, iPad & laptop) all at once ... my service provider here gives the device for free if committed to a 12 month contract ... you may want to look for something similar, check with your service provider.

I just noticed that you are located in India (I too am from India but working in middle east, but I do go to India for at least 30 days a year) so I'm adding to what I mentioned earlier .... Mobile broadband sucks big time in India ... in the last 3 years I've used Tata, BSNL & Airtel mobile broadband services and all of them delivered far less then what they promised. To give you a comparison, in the middle east I pay (equivalent) Rs. 4000 per month for unlimited mobile broadband package ... on average I use up at least 50GB monthly ... the speeds are upto 21Mbps
Now comparing this to what I pay & get in India (this my current plan with Airtel)
10GB per month for Rs. 5000 ... but it never gives true 3G speeds as promised, in fact after 5GB volume is reached, the speed goes down significantly to 20 Kbps
In India we still don't get 3G speeds everywhere, it's only available in select areas ... with 4G services just being announced, I bet it's gonna be a looooong time before it is available everywhere ... by that time at least another new iPad or two will be launched ... so in India I'd stay away from the 4G version, coz it makes no sense financially.
But if you travel only in those areas or countries where 4G services are easily/reliably available then you could go for 16 GB 4G version for now and at a later date you can buy the Seagate GoFlex Satellite portable hard disk drive that come with 500GB capacity + built in WiFi and battery ... it costs around Rs. 11000 in India.

OP
S

soumya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you guys have any idea about the models that will be available in India?

WatChuTalkinBout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iGot a 16gb 4g lte AT&T and I must say... Speeds r fantastic

Attachments

• image-2310374855.jpg
    image-2310374855.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 617

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have to agree that for your location, you would be better off to wait on the 4G model. Nothing is given, but until the cell system is up to an acceptable level, you would be happier with the 32 Gb wifi model. As things improve, you can either trade in your iPad and get a 4G model, or you can add a mifi unit to make it work on the cell system.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WatChuTalkinBout said:
iGot a 16gb 4g lte AT&T and I must say... Speeds r fantastic

Wow! That's great.I live in Ft Lauderdale and the fastest I've gotten here is 7Mbps

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally ordered a 16 gig and the more I thought about it with crashes and stuff I returned it got the 32 gig and mine was even engraved. I'm lucky they changed their return policy. My first GEN iPad crashed all the time and I'm assuming it's because of the apps I had and it was only a 16 GB.

Rienzphotoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
soumya said:
Do you guys have any idea about the models that will be available in India?

According to Apple India, all the 6 models (16 / 32 / 64 GB WiFi & 4G versions) will be available from 27 April 2012

Most reactions

Latest posts