What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exchanging 32gb for 64 gb... iOS Question

BlueSky77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am considering exchanging my 3 week old 32 gb ipad 3 (wifi only with ios 5.1.1) for the larger 64 gb ipad3 (wifi only) because I need more space. I recently purchased the 32 gb iPad just prior to iOS 6 release. Fortunately for me, Best Buy allows for exchanges like this within 30 days of purchase.

If I make this exchange, will the new 64 gb ipad force me to upgrade to iOS6 when I initially boot up or will I be able to keep 5.1? After reading of the numerous problems people seem to be having with iOS 6, I really don't want to upgrade until all these issues are sorted out. I absolutely LOVE my ipad 3 with iOS 5.1.1. If the upgrade is inevitable, then maybe I'll just keep my 32 gb iPad.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
None of the problems with iOS 6 are universal, however of you don't want it that's your choice.

Right now you should be able to get 5.1.1 on a new iPad, and you'll never regret the 64Gb. Just play safe and ask in the store which OS it has.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
BlueSky77

BlueSky77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of the problems with iOS 6 are universal, however of you don't want it that's your choice.

Right now you should be able to get 5.1.1 on a new iPad, and you'll never regret the 64Gb. Just play safe and ask in the store which OS it has.

Thanks for the reply. It's somewhat reassuring that the iOS6 problems are not universal. My biggest concerns are the wifi issue and the battery draining issue. I honestly don't remember whether my 32 gb ipad forced me to install an update or not when I first booted up. That's what I'm hoping I can avoid. I've had the 32 gb for 3 weeks and it's just about full right now so that 64gb is looking mighty appealing! :)

bj5485

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be clear...I am buying the Ipad 3 on Thursday. Is there any chance it will come with iOS6 or will it come with iOS5 and I will have to upgrade on boot up?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
bj5485 said:
To be clear...I am buying the Ipad 3 on Thursday. Is there any chance it will come with iOS6 or will it come with iOS5 and I will have to upgrade on boot up?

You will not HAVE TO update. The choice is entirely yours. You can stay on 5.1.1 as long as you like, and jailbreak if you want to, or update to ios 6 right away.

Same advice though. If you want 5.1.1 make sure that's what you walk out of the store with.

@BlueSky. I love that signature.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

There are a lot of iPads in the pipeline so you won't see a new issued unit with iOS 6 for a little while.
Don't let iOS 6 worry you.....I love it and have zero problems as I suspect most are experiencing.
You only hear from the vocal few that do have issues....whether it's real or imagined.

Is this 30 day exchange a universal thing or just at Best Buy? Apple Store?

Last edited:

bj5485

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My original question was misleading because I actually want iOS6 and have no trouble upgrading.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The apple store lets you return items within fourteen days, for any reason.

waah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont understand all the criticism about IOS 6, IOS 6 is pretty amazing. It runs much smoother than ios 5.1. The down side is the maps. If you dont need maps then IOS 6 is the way to go IMO.

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine worked perfectly until I loaded IOS 6 now not much works as well as it did. Mine was top of the range 64Gb 4g and I considered myself very lucky considering the problems others were having. But post upgrade I'm bombarded with iCloud messages, it flashes up that I should sign in to apple every 30 seconds, when i do it tells me the password is incorrect, it isn't my wifi reception is poor no matter how often I reset everything. My screen now gets very warm, it never before. I try to use the ancestry app, worked perfectly before, now tells me I need a flash player to see documents, battery life from my diagnostic programme is 30% less life, nothing running in the background. I could go on. Apple shop tell me they don't understand it despite watching it happen but further upgrade of IOS are expected very shortly to fix most problems. Apps will get upgraded but that is down to the developers - what!

It's just very poor and I'm afraid apple need to look real close at what they have put out and not what is coming. They really have taken their eye of the ball on this one. Aviation Authorities are saying they are going to pull the plug on use in aircraft.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the 64/4G Verizon iPad and have no regrets on the size at all, glad it's there in case I need it. I also updated to iOS6 the day it came out and haven't experienced a single problem, at all. My battery life is just fine and the only time I had an issue with WiFi connection was when I got home trying to connect with my home WiFi (I did the upgrade via a different WiFi connection). All I did was turn the iPad off/on and tried to connect again and I haven't had a single issue since then, it auto connects when I walk back into the house everytime. Good luck!

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine worked perfectly until I loaded IOS 6 now not much works as well as it did. Mine was top of the range 64Gb 4g and I considered myself very lucky considering the problems others were having. But post upgrade I'm bombarded with iCloud messages, it flashes up that I should sign in to apple every 30 seconds, when i do it tells me the password is incorrect, it isn't my wifi reception is poor no matter how often I reset everything. My screen now gets very warm, it never before. I try to use the ancestry app, worked perfectly before, now tells me I need a flash player to see documents, battery life from my diagnostic programme is 30% less life, nothing running in the background. I could go on. Apple shop tell me they don't understand it despite watching it happen but further upgrade of IOS are expected very shortly to fix most problems. Apps will get upgraded but that is down to the developers - what!

It's just very poor and I'm afraid apple need to look real close at what they have put out and not what is coming. They really have taken their eye of the ball on this one. Aviation Authorities are saying they are going to pull the plug on use in aircraft.

Good gawd! That is surely a long list of problems and worries you have been experiencing after upgrading to iOS6. Like the Apple shop I also don't understand. That list must cover a lot of worries recorded in this forum since the intro of iOS6.

While sympathising with you, I cannot but feel fortunate that I, like many others, did not experience any of that. Like a lot of people, I bought my new 64 gig with 5.1.1 and eagerly awaited the latest upgrade. That went smoothly, no WiFi problems ( it did ask for my ISP password, I think) and that was it. No real battery problems, maybe some warmth which I don't notice much, as it is in a nice leather case. But certainly a lot of satisfaction to know I have the latest beaut iPad with the latest system by Apple available for it. And it is all running beautifully.

As suggested above, for peace of mind, I believe your best bet now would be to exchange your machine ASAP, making sure it carries iOS5.
Regards, Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts