What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 wifi can be update to 3G

boriken55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bough my iPad several months ago just the 32 wifi no 3G. I am trying to start in a new Job
And I can use the iPad when I am in the road visiting clients. Does the iPad could be upgrade to 3G? If so, how? Do I need to send it to Apple?

Thank you

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot upgrade a wifi only iPad to a 3G iPad however there are devices, such as MyFi or tethered connections to mobile phones which will provide 3G connectivity.

The Archangel

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately no, WiFi only iPads cannot be "upgraded" to use 3G. If you have a cell phone from a carrier that offers "tethering" you could use your cell phone as a WiFi device that your iPad can use for broadband access. IIRC Verizon charges an additional $20/mo. for the additional service for example.

That said many cellular carriers offer portable 3G/WiFi devices. Like a cell phone, they come with a monthly fee and/or contract. Check with the cellular providers in your area to see what they offer.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

EDIT: D'oh! Gabriel beat me to it and more succinctly. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Unfortunately no, WiFi only iPads cannot be "upgraded" to use 3G. If you have a cell phone from a carrier that offers "tethering" you could use your cell phone as a WiFi device that your iPad can use for broadband access. IIRC Verizon charges an additional $20/mo. for the additional service for example.

That said many cellular carriers offer portable 3G/WiFi devices. Like a cell phone, they come with a monthly fee and/or contract. Check with the cellular providers in your area to see what they offer.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

EDIT: D'oh! Gabriel beat me to it and more succinctly. :)

Great minds and all that.......yet again!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts