What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

used ipad 2 3g+Wifi question

gator99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - just curious, I was offered a used ipad 2 (w/ 3g & Wifi) and don't care about the 3g at this time. Can I use it for only Wifi? Or will it ask for a SIM (ATT) all the time.

Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You do not need to use the 3G capability. Put it in airplane mode and it won't bug you for a SIM.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do not need to use the 3G capability. Put it in airplane mode and it won't bug you for a SIM.

You don't even need airplane mode. Just turn 3g off is what I did

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Better answer. Putting the iPad in airplane mode has a number of undesirable consequences if you try to use it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought you got bugged for a SIM card with just 3G off?
Also, what are the undesirable consequences? I run my 3G like this at home all the time and haven't noticed anything undesirable. Would be good to know.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did just try it out, and it will complain about no SIM card unless you put it in Ariplane mode. 3G being off still makes the prompt. Since this was related to the OP's original question... :) :smug

Still interested to hear the undesirable consequences of Airplane. Since Airplane can be on with WiFi, Bluetooth, and Location Services all on, I just can't see any for an iPad 3G which does not have a SIM installed. Maybe I'm being thick?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turn off 3G and don't get bugged for no SIM card. The only time I'm bugged for no SIM is when I've got 3G on and there actually is no SIM card in my iPad.

Both my AT&T iPad 1 and 2 work that way. I have no SIM in one at all times, because I flop my unlimited data SIM between the two of them.

cmerun15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I turn off 3G and don't get bugged for no SIM card. The only time I'm bugged for no SIM is when I've got 3G on and there actually is no SIM card in my iPad.

Both my AT&T iPad 1 and 2 work that way. I have no SIM in one at all times, because I flop my unlimited data SIM between the two of them.

So can you take your sim card from iPhone which has unlimited data and put it in the iPad? And do you still need to sign up for monthly charges? Thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

So can you take your sim card from iPhone which has unlimited data and put it in the iPad? And do you still need to sign up for monthly charges? Thanks

No, you misread. I switch my SIM card between my iPad 1 and 2.

I also have an iPhone, but have never removed its SIM card (except when overseas, when I use local SIM cards).

Last edited:

Most reactions