What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 help! 3G or not?

SarahElizabeth19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new iPad 2, I currently have an iPad 1. I'm trying to decide if I should buy the iPad 2 3G + WiFi or just the iPad 2 WiFi. If anyone could answer my question & suggest ideas it would be soooo helpful, thanks!!

I don't travel but not a lot, however it would be nice to go to a friends house and do homework/study together using the Internet, it's too much of a hassle to get their WiFi passwords and some don't have their password.

I also have an iPhone 4 and "the iPad does everything the iPhone can do"

***-Is there a monthly bill for the 3G? And what if I didn't go through Verizon or AT&T to purchase my iPad...is there a way to avoid the monthly bill??

Any recommendations!?

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Having iPad 2 64GB WiFi only because I thought I would not need 3G. As soon as I renew mine it will definitively be 3G, good to have the possibility to go online even when no Wifi available + true GPS is IMHO worth it (if affordable). However I would not go for less capacity in favour of 3G.
About the Data Plan it dependa where Ou are - here in Germany you can use prepaid...

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all really depends on what you need. Personally, I have the WiFi only and get by just fine through tethering my iPhone with it. However, with the new maps coming in IOS 6 it would be nice to use the turn by turn navigation while traveling (will have it on my phone but it looks nice on the iPad). You may be on a budget if you are looking at the iPad 2 but honestly if you are even considering an internet model I would consider the new iPad with 4g. Especially if you are in a location with solid 4g coverage, 4g simply blows 3g out of the water.

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I owned an iPad 1st gen, 64GB w/WiFi and 3G. Have owned the iPad for maybe a year and a half. In all that time I never came across an instance where I had to use the 3G. Found that if I needed to use my iPad while traveling I would just pull into a Starbuck's or McDonald's.

Just got an iPad2 with 16GB and WiFi only.

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recommend the iPad 2 WiFi and not with 3G, since there isn't a way to avoid a 3G bill. If you fear not having WiFi when you travel, you always have the option to get free WiFi from places like McDonald's, Hotels, Restaurants and you can save yourself the monthly bill. Either way, I hope you figure out your choice. :)

rugger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the 3G connection is sold in 30 day blocks I find it convenient and reasonable. The earlier comment re: navigation is very applicable. I have used 3G for only one 30 day block and the cost was $30 , found it convenient.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use wifi unless I know how security is handled and who's on the network. So I wouldn't buy an iPad without 3G/4G.

crispal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to know if i pad2 works oversease with 3G carriers!

crispal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It means if i buy a SIM in Italy with data plan,cold it work?thanx

Bluebrooke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my 3G all the time even when camping its great. Means my pad is truly mobile. My plan is withO2 and truly flexible. I buy a month for £10 and then cancel so that wen my month is up it doesn't automatically renew. Then I sign up for a day at £2 if I want it. It is easy to manage as well. I would definitely recommend 3G.

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use ATT as my carrier and the charge is $20/month for a tethering plan. I use it frequently when in the car and a WiFi hotspot isn't convenient. I connect and it shows 4G. I can't really see a dramatic speed difference over 3G but tethering works great.

Most reactions

Latest posts