What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading ipad WiFi only to 3G

Nostrebluc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible?
Right now I only have an iPad 2 with WiFi only, and no 3G, and was curious if it is possible to upgrade so it has 3G capabilities.

OP
Nostrebluc

Nostrebluc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
droid2mac said:
Only way is to buy a WiFi hotspot device. The iPad WiFi only can't be upgraded to 3G.

Thank you that's all I needed to know.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - a portable WiFi hotspot - sometimes known as a MiFi - is the way forward. They're very small portable devices that provide a local WiFi hotspot by linking to the Internet over 3G. Most cellular operators have such a device available. Also, some mobile phones - such as the iPhone4 and some Android devices - can provide this capability too.

Tim

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the hotspot on my droid x to provide me with 3G capability of my 32GB wifi only ipad2 and it works quite well. I don't know how it compares to one with built in 3G as far as speed, but I'm on Verizon so the coverage is good. I would like to do a side by side comparison of connection speed tests with a 3G iPad and mine connected via my droid to see the difference, I'm sure there is some lag when using the droid as the hotspot. I have also thought about the dedicated mobile hotspots that are available from many carriers these days. I wonder if they have a stronger signal to make very much of a difference when connoting multiple devices.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

seikooc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a MiFi with my iPad and I have to say it's great! Its pricey to buy to start, around £80 but you can typically get them on eBay cheaper. At times the connection has been faster than the local wifi connection at Starbucks.... Highly recommend

seikooc

OP
Nostrebluc

Nostrebluc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seikooc said:
I use a MiFi with my iPad and I have to say it's great! Its pricey to buy to start, around £80 but you can typically get them on eBay cheaper. At times the connection has been faster than the local wifi connection at Starbucks.... Highly recommend

seikooc

Cool, now would I still have to pay a monthly subscription? I'm guessing it's a yes, but I did some research on it and I'm most definentley getting this in the future, this would really come in handy. Thanks!

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I teather a the 3g connection from my iPhone4 and have done it i the past with a N97..

However i've heard alot about that MiFi thing

seikooc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nostrebluc said:
Cool, now would I still have to pay a monthly subscription? I'm guessing it's a yes, but I did some research on it and I'm most definentley getting this in the future, this would really come in handy. Thanks!

Yes you do, but if you shop around you can get a good deal without breaking the bank

seikooc

AvaMoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask what country you're from? The reason is, in the UK BT offers BTFON/BT Openzone as part of a free service when you take out one of their broadband packages.

My uncle uses BT and I live about 100 miles away from him. He has log in details for BTFON hotspots which are scattered all over the country. I use Internet from next-door who are BT customers and it is totally above board. Sounds like it may be cheaper than MiFi and I can use it wherever I go (in the uk). If you live here you're all set, if you live elsewhere have you checked out to see if a provider is offering this service?

Just thought I would put my 2 pence in lol. :-D

Jembie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nicky_r said:
I wonder if anyone offers a pay as you go mifi?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

My Three MiFi is PAYG, I am in the UK. I recently purchased it for £60 from Tesco. It came with 3GB of Data, then I can just top up whenever I need to. It's been great out and about where my Orange 3G is lacking. Most of all it has been a Godsend the last couple of days as there is a fault on my usual BB connection so the MiFi has had a right caning from myself and my son using it for our laptops.

Sent from my iPad in Derby, England

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the US ask at Best Buy. I think Virgin has a pay as you go and there might be others.

alby750

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use joikuspot for Nokia mobile peones in thetering with iPad ...works great!

Most reactions