What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 or ipad 3?

steve ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have gone for the iPad 3 but money was tight. I got an apple refurbished iPad 2 for £399 instead of £559 for the iPad 3.
Found it hard to justify the large price difference for my particular needs.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 will do just fine for you. You should have time to get familar with it before the drool factor sets in for the 4th generation iPad.

Tisntom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one has mentioned it but to me the dictation feature is worth the extra money and upgrade from 2 to 3. The dictation feature is just
very convenient and quite the timesaver. I'm dictating this right now and can dictate so much faster than I can type.

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
georgeacosta said:
Is this iPad 3's screen visibility that much greater than the two?

Go check it out at an apple store or at least check out the comparison on the apple website, yes there is a marked difference.

Hissyfits

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tisntom said:
No one has mentioned it but to me the dictation feature is worth the extra money and upgrade from 2 to 3. The dictation feature is just
very convenient and quite the timesaver. I'm dictating this right now and can dictate so much faster than I can type.

LOL. obviously you must have an American accent. It won't work that well with any other accent. have tried it once and never bothered again.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL. obviously you must have an American accent. It won't work that well with any other accent. have tried it once and never bothered again.

Seems to get my Scottish accent perfectly well. I use it often ;)

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hissyfits said:

Doesn't seem to have problems with my brummy twang

waffles07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is slowly trying to phase iPad 2 out to promote the New Ipad. When I first bought the new ipad the price of the ipad 2 was only 100 dollars less. I think you should but the new ipad. The display is really mind blowing especially while viewing photos. The processor is also awesome!
So go for the new ipad...

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've have iPad(1), iPad2 and now iPad(3) - all 64GB version. Newest iPad (3) is the fastest and best display by far. Crisp text is very visible in books, web pages and the photos look better too. In fact, when I moved my photos from iPad2 to iPad(3), the size of the photos has gone up (less down sampling). So photos take up more space on the Retina display and you can also see the difference. I've started viewed the same photos on iPad(1), (2) and (3). iPad(1) wipe left to change photo and new photo shows up in low resolution mode, and then flickers to a clean image. iPad2 dual core A5 is faster and you can flip through photos at will without seeing the low res, then higher resolution image. new iPad(3) A5X dual core processor with retina display has an nVidia quad-core graphics processor and it flips through photos very fast and at retina display 4X resolution. After this test, I just sold my original iPad(1). I couldn't stand the low resolution photos for that .5 second.

There are some situations where the iPad2 is slightly faster (like booting up from cold). But overall the new iPad is much faster, more responsive and super sharp. The only downside is its extra 2oz more weight. But I'd say the new iPad is worth and extra $100 to me for its screen clarity and general improvement in speed. You really can't see the screen dots, since the dpi is so high. If you get the cellular option 4G vs 3G, then 4G LTE wipes out 3G anyday - no contest - new iPad is the clear winner.

Hissyfits

iPF Noob
Reaction score
digitalbits6 said:
I've have iPad(1), iPad2 and now iPad(3) - all 64GB version. Newest iPad (3) is the fastest and best display by far. Crisp text is very visible in books, web pages and the photos look better too. In fact, when I moved my photos from iPad2 to iPad(3), the size of the photos has gone up (less down sampling). So photos take up more space on the Retina display and you can also see the difference. I've started viewed the same photos on iPad(1), (2) and (3). iPad(1) wipe left to change photo and new photo shows up in low resolution mode, and then flickers to a clean image. iPad2 dual core A5 is faster and you can flip through photos at will without seeing the low res, then higher resolution image. new iPad(3) A5X dual core processor with retina display has an nVidia quad-core graphics processor and it flips through photos very fast and at retina display 4X resolution. After this test, I just sold my original iPad(1). I couldn't stand the low resolution photos for that .5 second.

There are some situations where the iPad2 is slightly faster (like booting up from cold). But overall the new iPad is much faster, more responsive and super sharp. The only downside is its extra 2oz more weight. But I'd say the new iPad is worth and extra $100 to me for its screen clarity and general improvement in speed. You really can't see the screen dots, since the dpi is so high. If you get the cellular option 4G vs 3G, then 4G LTE wipes out 3G anyday - no contest - new iPad is the clear winner.

Amazing. You should be a critic.

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would defo get the new iPad, so glad I did after seeing my mates iPad2. He was trying to convince me to buy the iPad 2 saying he had compared them & the new iPad was no better in any way than the iPad 2. I bought the new iPad & took it round his house & straight away I could see a big difference in the screen & was so glad I didn't listen to him. He still maintains to this day that the new one doesn't look any better than his iPad 2 but he seems to be the only one who can't see it. To my eyes there is an obvious difference in screen resolution & I can clearly see it. His was nice & light though but you only feel the difference if your holding both & who will be doing that?

Last edited:

happy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
apple-zones.blogspot.com
I'm so confused. Help me.. give ur opinion... thank u
Hello,as for me, I will buy iPad 3,because it can bring you more,however, it still depends on you what you want to do,and your plans of your using iPad,and you also should consider the price of iPad 2 and iPad 3.if you can afford them,I think iPad 3 is better!:)

Most reactions

Latest posts