What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 on ios 5.1.1 , can i update to 6.0.1?

bongski55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to ALL,
Someone I know has an ipad 2 GSM vesion with IOS 5.1.1. I was asked if possible to update to a higher version and also JB. I checked the ipad using tinyumbrella and found SHSH blobs for 5.0,5.1.1, and 6.0.1. I also checked using itunes and 7.1 is available for upgrade but still no JB. Also I read so many negative reviews about IOS 7 so I am reluctant to update to that.

So my question now. with the SHSH blobs available and saved to my laptop, can I now update to 6.0.1 without any issues? Can I use DFU mode?
I already DL the 6.0.1 ipsw file just in case I can proceed....

Thank you!

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the only iOS version that you can update to is iOS 7.1, which has no jailbreak.

OP
bongski55

bongski55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK now a simple question before I proceed. If I manually update ,i.e. dl the 7.1 file and do it in itunes with the shift key-update button method will it work?

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never understood the benefits of jailbraking compared to simply upgrading. I know this is not the correct forum to discuss this.
When deciding to jailbreak, you have to stuggle with all these problems.
I suppose you will just have to give it a go, or ask on another forum.
Good Luck!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, that's all you need to do: download the correct iOS 7.1 IPSW file for your device, put it into DFU mode and then use the shift/restore method in iTunes to install the IPSW/iOS 7.

To be honest, I'd not use or make a backup as you are jumping two full iOS versions. In my opinion only, it'd be best to start fresh.

And, as it was pointed out, unfortunately, iOS 7.1 is not jail broken (and probably won't be). Just so's you know.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have never understood the benefits of jailbraking compared to simply upgrading. I know this is not the correct forum to discuss this.
When deciding to jailbreak, you have to stuggle with all these problems.
I suppose you will just have to give it a go, or ask on another forum.
Good Luck!

There are only a handful of reasons why you'll have issues with a jailbroken device

1) You're forcing software/hardware changes that should not be posed onto your device like Siriports on a non-Siri supported device

2) You're trying to "save space" and deleting things you have no knowledge of its purpose.

3) You're pirating.

4) User follows the "do first, ask questions later" philosophy

Outside of those 4 reasons, there are another few reasons that you'd have issues on a widespread scale. Otherwise, it's relatively easy to maintain a jailbreak, even without any technical experience/prowess. The only reason people think jailbreaking is bad and troublesome, is because of the stigma from back in the day where jailbreaking was not a one-click procedure, and if the user did not put the device into DFU mode correctly, then a plethora of issues come up, etc. With respect to common-day issues with jailbroken devices, if you check the larger community discussion areas such as Reddit, 9/10 of these issues are because the user trying too hard to get something done by tunnelvisioning onto that one result, which leads them to neglect other aspects of the device and why it doesn't work on the first attempt.

Last edited:
OP
bongski55

bongski55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, that's all you need to do: download the correct iOS 7.1 IPSW file for your device, put it into DFU mode and then use the shift/restore method in iTunes to install the IPSW/iOS 7.

To be honest, I'd not use or make a backup as you are jumping two full iOS versions. In my opinion only, it'd be best to start fresh.

And, as it was pointed out, unfortunately, iOS 7.1 is not jail broken (and probably won't be). Just so's you know.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

No problem(although when I opened the ipad forum and did not see my thread I thought for some reason it was deleted).
Actually it was my daughters ipad 2 and she told me to go ahead without the jailbreak. So I dl the 7.1 ipsw file and proceeded to update.
Then in the middle of the update process an error 6 came out. The ipad went into recovery mode and had to restore using the same ipsw file. All went well after that. She had restored all her purchases from the apple store and had additional stuff that can only work on 6 and above firmware.
So far no complaint from her.
Thanks for all the help.

caparker418

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey!

Glad I looked at few posts before I asked my question as this is exactly what I needed to find out! I've been putting off dealing with updating my iPad forever and keep allowing myself to miss the windows.

I have an iPad 2 on 5.1.1 and missed the entire 6.0 jailbreak window. It hasn't been much of an issue until the last few weeks but it's quickly becoming one. When I was finally able to jailbreak my iPhone 4 a few months ago, I discovered SBSettings isn't available for 7.0. It is the ONE app I can't live without and my main reason for having my iPad jail broken! I've been regularly watching for an update but saw it probably won't happen. So, I have 2 main questions I hope someone can help me with.

I really love the free memory feature in SBSettings and without something like that, my iPad is too slow. I recently installed CCControls on my iPhone and I think I can live with it as a replacement for SBSettings if I do ever manage to update my iPad but I don't see a similar memory freeing feature on the iPhone version. I installed FreeMemory and it's not nearly as quick and efficient but it is better than nothing. These questions might be for nothing if I can't jailbreak at this time, though...

So, I guess the most important thing is can I even update and jailbreak at this point? I'm sure I've got SSH blobs and whatnot saved and I'd prefer trying to get some version of 6.0. But if 7.0 is a possibility, that's good too. I've been jail breaking my iCrap for about 5 years so I used to be able to get it done without wanting to smash things. But the last couple weren't fun (which is why I'm still on 5.1 :)). If there's a risk of completely losing my jailbreak, past experience tells me I'd rather have a few non-functioning apps. But now I might just have to do something soon.

Assuming I update at some point soon, is there anything else available that will free memory? Maybe I'm not searching the right terms but until I found the FreeMemory utility, I had not seen anything else. Also, how does CCControls compare to SBSettings in the iPad version?

I guess those are my 2 big questions! If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!! I'm just not as up on this stuff as I used to be and and I'm much less patient when I have issues! Thanks! Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey! Glad I looked at few posts before I asked my question as this is exactly what I needed to find out! I've been putting off dealing with updating my iPad forever and keep allowing myself to miss the windows. I have an iPad 2 on 5.1.1 and missed the entire 6.0 jailbreak window. It hasn't been much of an issue until the last few weeks but it's quickly becoming one. When I was finally able to jailbreak my iPhone 4 a few months ago, I discovered SBSettings isn't available for 7.0. It is the ONE app I can't live without and my main reason for having my iPad jail broken! I've been regularly watching for an update but saw it probably won't happen. So, I have 2 main questions I hope someone can help me with. I really love the free memory feature in SBSettings and without something like that, my iPad is too slow. I recently installed CCControls on my iPhone and I think I can live with it as a replacement for SBSettings if I do ever manage to update my iPad but I don't see a similar memory freeing feature on the iPhone version. I installed FreeMemory and it's not nearly as quick and efficient but it is better than nothing. These questions might be for nothing if I can't jailbreak at this time, though... So, I guess the most important thing is can I even update and jailbreak at this point? I'm sure I've got SSH blobs and whatnot saved and I'd prefer trying to get some version of 6.0. But if 7.0 is a possibility, that's good too. I've been jail breaking my iCrap for about 5 years so I used to be able to get it done without wanting to smash things. But the last couple weren't fun (which is why I'm still on 5.1 :)). If there's a risk of completely losing my jailbreak, past experience tells me I'd rather have a few non-functioning apps. But now I might just have to do something soon. Assuming I update at some point soon, is there anything else available that will free memory? Maybe I'm not searching the right terms but until I found the FreeMemory utility, I had not seen anything else. Also, how does CCControls compare to SBSettings in the iPad version? I guess those are my 2 big questions! If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!! I'm just not as up on this stuff as I used to be and and I'm much less patient when I have issues! Thanks! Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!
I'm afraid that the only iOS version that you can upgrade to is iOS 7.1.1, which has no jailbreak, it makes no difference whether or not you have blobs. I'm sorry to say that you not only missed the entire iOS 6 jailbreak window, you've also missed the iOS 7 jailbreak window as well.

I'm afraid that if you want to be jailbroken, you'll have to stay where you are or wait for the release of an iOS 8 jailbreak, if the iPad 2 can be updated to iOS 8, that is.

Last edited:

caparker418

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that info-I was afraid of that!

Do you by any chance know of an app that frees memory on a non jailbroken ipad? If so, if I decide to update and try using my iPad like a normal person, can I revert to my backed-up, jailbroken 5.1 or will that be gone?

Thanks again, I do appreciate the help!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that info-I was afraid of that! Do you by any chance know of an app that frees memory on a non jailbroken ipad? If so, if I decide to update and try using my iPad like a normal person, can I revert to my backed-up, jailbroken 5.1 or will that be gone? Thanks again, I do appreciate the help!!
Once you upgrade, you can't go back. iOS is very good a memory management, there's no real need to manually manage the memory.

Most reactions

Latest posts