What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 now? Or 3 later?

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cost of ownership is small compared to a a Pc laptop. Buy each upgrade and sell just before release of new model average return will be about 60% of original cost which means you iPad will cost you less than$1 dollar per day average if you are smart.

For some strange reason, when I was looking to sell my original iPad quickly online (Gazelle.com), I watched the pricing rise for my model until one week before the new iPad started shipping. That's when the price actually peaked. I sold mine at that time and watched the prices fall again after the launch.

I agree that if your iPad is in great condition (no engraving and no scratches on the back) just sell it every year and get the new model. It's indeed very cheap rent.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok so now my dilemma has changed to iPad 2 now, iPad HD in the Fall or iPad 3 next year....

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:
iPad 2 with BuyBack from best buy, then iPad 3 next year. Win-win for me.

I kind of like the idea, tho my issue is that I'm not usually one to return my investments, but I'm highly considering it...

steveyg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any one hazard a guess what the difference between a ipad 2 and 3 is going to be?

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm getting a refund, and its just enough for an iPad 2.

The issue is that I mainly want the 2nd for the cams and the extra boosting performance. But I'm not willing to give up my original iPad. I really want the iPad 3, which would be a more significant step up from my ipad1, and therefore worth it, but thinking that it's release is a whole 10 months away, I'm not sure its worth the wait. Though I'm most likely gonna get the third regardless of what I do now...

So fellow users, what do you all suggest? Should I get the ipad2 and also the 3 when released? just get the 2 now and not the third? Suck it up, and just wait for the thirds release? Should I just be one of those obsessive freaks who collects these 500$ devices?!

Edit: Ok so now my dilemma has changed to iPad 2 now, iPad HD in the Fall or iPad 3 next year....

Ask yourself this, do you want or need an iPad next generation?

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any one hazard a guess what the difference between a ipad 2 and 3 is going to be?

I've bought new tech for many years now.

Here is my rule of thumb, that I ask myself.

Will the next generation, be a small, incremental upgrade or a
major overhaul?

Is what I have now fullfilling my needs?

Will I lose support, on my current device or computer?

Is what I have now, still compatible with current tech & software?

Does the cost benefit give me more of what I want?

Can I live without it until its proven over time?

Last edited:

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 with BuyBack from best buy, then iPad 3 next year. Win-win for me.

I think you would probably do better selling your old iPad 2 on Craigslist or eBay. BB's buyback program isn't, shall we say, ideal.

A quick summation here. Even more here.

In short, for a tablet, the BB buyback will cost you $70 to enroll, then they'll give you anywhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the purchase price back. Assume a $500 unit and let's go from there.

$500 unit that would resell for at least $350 at the time of upgrade (based on what iPad 1s are closing out on eBay right now)
BestBuy's reimbursement for you (40% of purchase price, I'm splitting the difference between 1/2 and 1/3)
$200
So you're looking at getting $200 in Best Buy gift cards for your not-quite-outdated iPad 2 once the 3 comes out. Best Buy gives you gift cards for their buyback program, by the way.
But wait! It cost you $70 to enroll...
$200-$70 = $130.

The difference between $350 and $130 is a case and an extra 32gb of memory. Or 3g.

After the buyback enrollment and what they give you in store credit you're getting less than half of what you could be making in cash from a simple post on Craigslist. And trust me, I'm a crazy Craigslist seller. You can choose how fast you sell by how you price your option. I bet you could sell an iPad 1 for $400 within a week or within the day for $300.

Last edited:

Most reactions