What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 keyboard case

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:
And your site is? Here is my ongoing search. I must have a light portable keyboard. Portable is the big point for me. I don't know about most of you but I read my IPad Niall three axis while standing, walking in bed. So the problem is having a case that doubles the thickness and weight of the iPad.
So to date I have no keyboard sadly.

Cheers

One of our supporting vendors http://www.Tablet2Cases.com/

The Archangel

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps it bears noting that brands like "Rocketfish" (Best Buy) and Brookstone are actually re-branded versions of products sourced from various manufacturers. AFAIK, neither Best Buy nor Brookstone actually manufacturers any of these products. Since the "value added" by Best Buy and Brookstone consists mainly of putting their logo on the product (and possibly adding their own warranty policy), identical products are often available from other sources usually at a lower price. By the same token, at least in my experience, the quality of the items from Brookstone and Rocketfish leaves something to be desired. YMMV, of course.

BTW, as I've noted in other threads, I'm not a big fan of iPad cases that include keyboards for two reasons. First, such cases almost always sacrifice keyboard size to cram the keyboard into a form factor that fits the iPad. In contrast, the Apple Wireless Keyboard is almost two inches wider than the iPad (in landscape orientation). That makes for a much better i.e. less cramped (imo) typing experience, especially if you're accustomed to a full size (or even a laptop size) keyboard. If you're not a fast typist it may make little difference to you. But if you're a skilled typist the cramped typing position can significantly impact both error rate and speed.

Second, if you think about it, there is no other single accessory with more moving parts than a keyboard. And once a single key "goes bad" the keyboard as a whole is likely to be useless. I'm skeptical about the long term durability of keyboards usually included in keyboard/iPad combo cases. Not true of all, I'm sure, but common sense says that if a keyboard and case is selling for less than $50 while good keyboards usually sell for about that much or more, there is some cost cutting going on somewhere.

As this all suggests, I'm a keyboard snob. I do lots and lots of typing every day. So if you're only an occasional user these cautions may not apply. But if you expect to use a keyboard for an extended period and for significant amounts of writing, be cautious about trying to save money on a keyboard.

Last edited:

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Perhaps it bears noting that brands like "Rocketfish" (Best Buy) and Brookstone are actually re-branded versions of products sourced from various manufacturers. AFAIK, neither Best Buy nor Brookstone actually manufacturers any of these products. Since the "value added" by Best Buy and Brookstone consists mainly of putting their logo on the product (and possibly adding their own warranty policy), identical products are often available from other sources usually at a lower price. By the same token, at least in my experience, the quality of the items from Brookstone and Rocketfish leaves something to be desired. YMMV, of course.

In you opinion. If one were to choose the full keyboard method, which one would you go with and why. This does not hijack the post since it is just an alternate view that a separate method is the way to go. What is the bet keyboard? Does it work to carry it in your backpack? What about battery life & activation time. In my mind the best would be a big full size with my iPad connected to a 24 in monitor pounding out answers to all the worlds ills.

Cheers

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In you opinion. If one were to choose the full keyboard method, which one would you go with and why. This does not hijack the post since it is just an alternate view that a separate method is the way to go. What is the bet keyboard? Does it work to carry it in your backpack? What about battery life & activation time. In my mind the best would be a big full size with my iPad connected to a 24 in monitor pounding out answers to all the worlds ills.

Cheers

I've used two keyboards with the iPad. The Apple Wireless Keyboard works well with the Origami Workstation (which is designed as a case for the keyboard and as a stand for the iPad). In addition, I have a Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable Keyboard. It's slightly wider (l to r) than the AWK and is ergonomically curved to avoid wrist strain. The latter is much less expensive than the former (less than $40 versus $70.) but a stand to support the iPad is necessary. (I used the Belkin FlipBlade Adjust.) Either solution fits well in a small messenger bag (I have a Timbuk2 Freestyle messenger bag) and the AWK and OW fit into an even smaller bag (the Travel Express from Waterfield Design.) BTW, Microsoft now sells another bluetooth keyboard (the 5000 versus the 6000 I have) but as far as I can tell, it's the same keyboard at a higher price.

Logitech also makes very good keyboards and have several models designed for the iPad. One is similar to the OW/AWK design. The keyboard case doubles as a stand for the iPad and it's less expensive than purchasing the AWK and OW separately. Not as neat a design, though. And they also have the only "foldable" near full size keyboard that doubles as a case for the iPad. But reviews indicate it's relatively heavy and at $129 it's the most expensive solution.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So just to be clear with your varied experience and for the rest of the group. The folio keyboard is a poor idea due to weight, keyboard failure resulting in the entire case failing and small size keys gaining you nothing. So the optimum plan would be the MS 5000/6000 which has great feel & size however you need a stand.

If I am correct with the above, my folio (Marare c.e.o) has a stand built-in stand so all I need to do is size check my backpack. ebay://launch?itm=250887710862
COOL black 1STRAP SHOULDER MESSENGER SLING BACK
And if it all lines up well, then

Cheers

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So just to be clear with your varied experience and for the rest of the group. The folio keyboard is a poor idea due to weight, keyboard failure resulting in the entire case failing and small size keys gaining you nothing. So the optimum plan would be the MS 5000/6000 which has great feel & size however you need a stand.

If I am correct with the above, my folio (Marare c.e.o) has a stand built-in stand so all I need to do is size check my backpack. ebay://launch?itm=250887710862
COOL black 1STRAP SHOULDER MESSENGER SLING BACK
And if it all lines up well, then

Cheers

That's correct. I use a small Timbuk2 messenger bag that can accommodate the Microsoft keyboard easily. Purchased the bag originally for an 11" notebook/desktop but its dedicated interior sleeve also accommodates the iPad easily. And the bag holds the Microsoft keyboard as well.

By the way, if it were not for the fact that the AWK/OW combo fits into my Waterfield Design "Travel Express" bag/case (which I use for professional meetings) while the Msoft keyboard does not, I would probably have stuck with the Microsoft keyboard. I've had it for a couple of years, put a couple of hundred thousand miles of travel on it, and it works flawlessly. Though it has a plastic housing (compared to the AWK's classy aluminum), it is extremely durable and the key action is actually a bit better than the Apple keyboard. Furthermore, although it's a bit wider than the AWK, it's also thinner so packing in a bag is actually a bit easier if you have the width to accommodate it. (Altogther it's about 3 inches wider than the AWK.)

All in all, even recognizing that the Apple Wireless Keyboard is an excellent product, I'd say that dollar for dollar the Microsoft Keyboard is a better value.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you sold me.
And apologies to the OP for a minor derail of your thread.

Cheers

mlaurencg4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HafMan said:
Hey all,
I'm in the process of looking for a keyboard case that I can use for college and while I'm at work.
I ideally want one that will hold my iPad while I'm not using it, not just one like the Logitech where you place it on a stand.

I've used the search function but can't find anything on what I'm looking for.
Im after one that is like a leather folio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
HafMan

Regarding that "relabeled" brand, and notwhthstanding the other excellent tips provided in the discussion, be certain it has two SHIFT keys - some of them came out with just one and that is a major annoyance. Cheers, Mike.

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a look at the Zagg Folio with keyboard case. IMO the case is superb and the included keyboard really is excellent.

lkilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the Zagg case. I got one for my iPad1 and then when I passed the old iPad to my wife and got the iPad2, I bought a Zagg case designed for the iPad2. I lived in Egypt and now live in Korea, and travel everywhere inbetween. The Zagg case is the only case I use - my other cases are left behind and forgotten.

seanr7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bought the Rocketfish iCapsule from best buy yesterday. So far so good, no issues with connectivity with the bluetooth, much easier to type on then the iPad itself. Still not sold on it, I kept the receipt and will give it a few weeks to decide. I will update with more observations as I go@

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
bought the Rocketfish iCapsule from best buy yesterday. So far so good, no issues with connectivity with the bluetooth, much easier to type on then the iPad itself. Still not sold on it, I kept the receipt and will give it a few weeks to decide. I will update with more observations as I go@

The case is ugly, ill give ya that much lol. Much prefer the clamcase.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv

The case is ugly, ill give ya that much lol. Much prefer the clamcase.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts