What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard and case for ipad 2

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spent today looking at keyboards and cases. Sadly, there wasn't much in stock to look at. I'm looking for either a case with a keyboard included, or a case that will also carry the Apple keyboard. I'm always on the go, so I'm looking for something that will go together and sit on my lap. Ideally, I'd like to still be able to use my smart cover, but I realize that may be a pipe dream.

I looked at the Zagg, but it seemed too unstable on my lap and the keys were kind of crunched. I could learn to live with the keys, I suppose. The other cons were that it didn't have a back and can't be used with the smart cover.

I also checked Brookstone, and their leather keyboard and case. I almost picked this one up, but wanted to try out one they suggested at Best Buy first. I liked the case at Brooktone much better than the Zagg, but it still seemed a little unstable for the lap and was a little thick. I may return for it.

The one the Apple guy at Best Buy suggested I look at was the InCase Workstation. Supposedly it easily handles the Apple keyboard and iPad, and is quite stable when open.

Any other suggestions?

OP
Martlet

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kukulcan said:
Senacases has a leather case with keyboard on preorder, dont know if it will be any good.

I now have the wireless keyboard and a case that can hold it would be a great idea.

Supposedly the InCase Workstation will. I can't seem to find one, though.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The zaggmate is very stable on your lap. The fact that it doesn't cover the back was off-putting for me and there's no protection on the iPad when not using it for typing. I returned it and settled on a switcheasy canvas and a verbatim foldable keyboard.

Stuboat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The InCase Workstation is meant to be a stand for the IPad 2 combined with a cover for the Apple keyboard. I have not found anything that protects both. I like the Apple keyboard better than the others so there lies the problem. Since I already have the b/t keyboard which came with my Mac I would like to use it with my IPad 2 when I travel.

lhwang78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i tried both the zaggmate and brookstone one for my ipad2. love the zagg one except for the fact you cant put it in the case screen up, and also that the back of the ipad is not protected when you have it screen down in the case.

The brookstone one takes care of both of the above problems, BUT...it has a few problems. In addition, its about 1.5 times the thickness of the zagg (zagg hardly adds any bulk to the ipad2). but....

1. Bluetooth automatically disconnects if you dont use the keyboard for about 3 minutes. if you press a key, it will automatically connect, but it takes a few seconds. still really annoying.

2. the keyboard makes the ipad 2 CRASH!! every now and then the screen will go black and close out what i was doing. really friggin annoying.

3. when 1st connecting to bluetooth, some keys don't friggin respond not matter how many times i hit the key!!! this goes on for about a minute and then will start responding.

If the 3 problems above were fixed, i would probably choose the brookstone over the zagg. if the zagg's 2 problems were addressed, i would choose the zagg. zagg looks more sleek and sexy, brookstone one looks more professional. my 2 cents.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... I'm looking for either a case with a keyboard included, or a case that will also carry the Apple keyboard. I'm always on the go, so I'm looking for something that will go together and sit on my lap. Ideally, I'd like to still be able to use my smart cover, but I realize that may be a pipe dream.

I looked at the Zagg, but it seemed too unstable on my lap and the keys were kind of crunched. I could learn to live with the keys, I suppose. The other cons were that it didn't have a back and can't be used with the smart cover.

I also checked Brookstone, and their leather keyboard and case. I almost picked this one up, but wanted to try out one they suggested at Best Buy first. I liked the case at Brooktone much better than the Zagg, but it still seemed a little unstable for the lap and was a little thick. I may return for it.

The one the Apple guy at Best Buy suggested I look at was the InCase Workstation. Supposedly it easily handles the Apple keyboard and iPad, and is quite stable when open.

Any other suggestions?

I have the InCase Origami Workstation and like it very much but I suspect it might not meet your needs re: stable in your lap.

The InCase product is a case for the iPad keyboard. Period. When open it provides a stand for the iPad by folding back the corners of the open case and velcro'ing them to one another. It then forms a triangular stand that is quite stable on a table or desk. It's not, however very stable on a lap. Far less stable, I suspect than the cases that support the iPad attached firmly to a stable backcover that stays up without support from behind.

On the bright side, though, the Origami workstation does accommodate the Smart Cover nicely. And I actually appreciate the fact that the keyboard and iPad are separate units. That allows me to use the iPad "naked" when necessary and keep the keyboard in my larger bag.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a skin for the iPad and solve one problem. I have a custom skin with company logo and phone number to return iPad.

Stable on my lap on the train although it doesn't look like it would be.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

OP
Martlet

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
realistdreamer said:
Get a skin for the iPad and solve one problem. I have a custom skin with company logo and phone number to return iPad.

Stable on my lap on the train although it doesn't look like it would be.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you use a keyboard?

Most reactions

Latest posts