What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2, does it scratch easily?

thetaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I have finally decided to just go naked with my new iPad 2 screen. I was going to put a screen protector on but couldn't decide which...hopefully it will stay in good condition.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Protective Glass panel

All glass is not the same. This is the toughest glass available. Diamond hard material can scratch. But it generally takes a lot of abuse to cause problems.

The following is a copy and paste from Anandtech in depth review of the iPAD2.

"The iPad 2 and previous iPad both utilize Corning Gorilla Glass. This type of glass is an alkali-aluminosilicate, being primarily silica and aluminum with an alkali metal, along with other unspecified components mixed in to tweak its properties. The biggest benefit of alluminosilicate glasses, aside from being relatively tough to start with, is the fact that the rate of ion exchange is fairly high even at temperatures low enough that the structure cannot react, meaning it can be processed quickly and create deep protective layers in the glass. The iPad 2 has a modest reduction in the thickness of the glass (about 23% thinner, for those interested) compared to the first iPad, and the question of increased fracture risk has been posed. Given the identical surface quality between the two generations, the reduction of thickness should create no palpable change in toughness for the typical user. That is to say, a drop that would shatter the screen on the original iPad would likely do the same for the new model. That being said, several other design changes appear to account for the change, and might yield better performance in this department.

Where its predecessor used small metal clips to retain the glass screen, the current iteration uses a ring of adhesive around the entire perimeter that not only distributes the load around the glass and prevents scoring at the glass-metal interface, but better couples the stresses into the more compliant aluminum frame. Both of these measures should improve the performance; either way, drop-testing new electronics is generally not recommended. "

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All glass is not the same. This is the toughest glass available. Diamond hard material can scratch. But it generally takes a lot of abuse to cause problems.

"The iPad 2 and previous iPad both utilize Corning Gorilla Glass. This type of glass is an alkali-aluminosilicate, being primarily silica and aluminum with an alkali metal, along with other unspecified components mixed in to tweak its properties. The biggest benefit of alluminosilicate glasses, aside from being relatively tough to start with, is the fact that the rate of ion exchange is fairly high even at temperatures low enough that the structure cannot react, meaning it can be processed quickly and create deep protective layers in the glass. The iPad 2 has a modest reduction in the thickness of the glass (about 23% thinner, for those interested) compared to the first iPad, and the question of increased fracture risk has been posed. Given the identical surface quality between the two generations, the reduction of thickness should create no palpable change in toughness for the typical user. That is to say, a drop that would shatter the screen on the original iPad would likely do the same for the new model. That being said, several other design changes appear to account for the change, and might yield better performance in this department.

Where its predecessor used small metal clips to retain the glass screen, the current iteration uses a ring of adhesive around the entire perimeter that not only distributes the load around the glass and prevents scoring at the glass-metal interface, but better couples the stresses into the more compliant aluminum frame. Both of these measures should improve the performance; either way, drop-testing new electronics is generally not recommended. "

Good find! These iPads are tuff as a Mofo..lol believe me, mine has dropped several times on accident and not one dent or scratch anywhere yet. Knock on wood. Also, I've had a screen protector on my iPad since day one, the exact same one. It has not decreased the screen quality or touch response in any shape, form, or fashion. That's why my iPad still looks brand new. Keep in mind I do keep my iPad in the Apple case or my tarsus Truss case. I keep it in the apple case for indoors. When I take it outdoors, it goes into the truss case which gives it maximum protection while looking good at the the same time. The truss case can also keep the cover closed at all times, if you wish.

brucebotti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah,but i dont want any shields, plastic, covers, or cases. Just all natural for me. ;). Those shields remind me of my grandmas couches. I say USE it and dont try to save it.[/QUOTE]

LMAO! You reminded me of sitting on my Grandma's couch in the August heat (no AC of course). It was covered in a thick plastic...Yuk...:D
Bruce

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brucebotti said:
Yeah,but i dont want any shields, plastic, covers, or cases. Just all natural for me. ;). Those shields remind me of my grandmas couches. I say USE it and dont try to save it.

LMAO! You reminded me of sitting on my Grandma's couch in the August heat (no AC of course). It was covered in a thick plastic...Yuk...:D
Bruce[/QUOTE]

Like on the show Everybody Loves Raymond, Maria has plastic on her couch and they made fun of her for it!

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if the ipad 2 screen will scratch easily. Can't wait for someone on youtube to test it out. I know the screen is a little thinner than Ipad 1.
I hope the screen is like the iphone. My 3gs is bullet proof and my keys are always rubbing up against it.

I don't know what type of glass they use but it is glass and glass does not scratch easily. Now 15 people are going to say I'm wrong, but they don't. That's why in the old days when vision glasses were made out of glass we never worried about what we cleaned them with. No scratches. The plastic ones now all scratch easily despite the "scratch proof" coating they put on them

Gorilla tough glass ... slightly improved, better supported ... as good as, if not better. Impact resistant is about the same, excellent ... drop test not recommended for either old or new iPads... standard legaleze.

Wilder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've only ever gotten scratches in products like this when I use a screen protector. A tiny piece of grit eventually works its way between the screen protector and the screen, and then gets rubbed against the screen causing a scratch.

If there is no protector, then the grit ends up getting wiped or blown off. It doesn't linger there with another layer on top of it.

This has happened to me with PET material, Invisible Shield, and Best Skins Ever.

On top of that, the screen protector adds nothing to the strength of Gorilla Glass. It's like putting a Zagg skin on your car's windshield, or on a pair of spectacles.

If you use microfiber cloth (NO PAPER PRODUCTS, EVER) and make sure there's no sand, rock, or grit on the screen before wiping it or sealing it in a case, you'll be fine.

Metal doesn't scratch Gorilla Glass. Sand can, some rocks can, and of course diamond will do it. If you're getting sand on your iPad, though, you have other things to worry about, and a screen protector isn't going to help in the long run.

A better option is a good warranty that includes accidental damage coverage.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:

Interesting.

LES232

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a brand new IPad 2 64GB with WiFi+3G and naturally I want to proect my investment. I bought a ZAGGMATE screen protector anti glare for $35 at Best Buy. They offered to put it on for $15. They did a perfect job installing it. However, I wish I had read the reviews on the Best Buy website before I purchased this product. The reviews for ZAGG screen protector are all bad. I'm sure it protects the screen, but it absolutely ruins the picture quality...it's really awful. The picture looks grainy and pixelated, making it difficult to read. It has tiny pink, blue and yellow dots in the screen protector. I thought I was buying a clear screen protector that wouldn't change the picture at all. I have a laptop, a desktop and an Iphone, so it wasn't like I needed another internet device. I wanted the IPad because the graphics are phenominal. So that was a $50 lesson!! Take it from me, don't waste your money.

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LES232 said:
I just bought a brand new IPad 2 64GB with WiFi+3G and naturally I want to proect my investment. I bought a ZAGGMATE screen protector anti glare for $35 at Best Buy. They offered to put it on for $15. They did a perfect job installing it. However, I wish I had read the reviews on the Best Buy website before I purchased this product. The reviews for ZAGG screen protector are all bad. I'm sure it protects the screen, but it absolutely ruins the picture quality...it's really awful. The picture looks grainy and pixelated, making it difficult to read. It has tiny pink, blue and yellow dots in the screen protector. I thought I was buying a clear screen protector that wouldn't change the picture at all. I have a laptop, a desktop and an Iphone, so it wasn't like I needed another internet device. I wanted the IPad because the graphics are phenominal. So that was a $50 lesson!! Take it from me, don't waste your money.

I've got the Zagg on mine, Best Buy installed, and don't have any issues. Have you given it time to fully dry?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if the ipad 2 screen will scratch easily. Can't wait for someone on youtube to test it out. I know the screen is a little thinner than Ipad 1. I hope the screen is like the iphone. My 3gs is bullet proof and my keys are always rubbing up against it.

It's glass. If you scratch a harder material against it, like metal, eventually it will abrade.

It is not technically correct to use generalities like glass and metal. Gorilla Glass is one of the hardest of glasses. Anandtech reviewed the glass it is tougher and has additives to make it better than the original ipad. Now diamond will scratch ... copper won't, neither will most car keys.

Since the ipad is larger a person won't be carrying it around in their pockets with their car keys. Now the case is aluminum and it can be scratched. Accidents to happen. Some people can be careless and not pay attention. oops, damn. to bad.

Most reactions

Latest posts