What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratched screen...replacement cost?

hrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know what it would cost to have the screen replaced on my iPad2? I stupidly let my kids use it after playing on the beach and ended up with a 3 inch scratch right across the middle :(...I know...should have had a protector on it!! This is my first apple product and because I couldn't find a protector made for the iPad 2, I assumed it wasn't necessary...a costly mistake!

Anyway, I am wondering how much it would cost to get it replaced. I just brought it in last weekend because I was worried about the bezel separating from the glass near the headphone jack but was told that was "normal". Not sure I agree but whatever! I also have moderate screen bleed on both the bottom and the sides. I didn't show them that last weekend but am thinking maybe I should? If I bring it back in and ask about the bleeding, could they refuse to swap it out because of the scratch?

Just wondering, thanks for any insight!
Heidi

Mzhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They advised us that the screen was totally scratched resistant. I was still very nervous and got a screen protector any way. Also I purchased a total of 4 iPad 2's and 2 of them had bleeding issues. I took them back to the Apple store and they were replaced in a matter of days. If this is your issue the screen will not matter. Take it back. Good luck.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ Mzhunter: It is scratch resistant. That is not scratch proof though. Sand contains a lot of minerals. It's just hrush's bad luck that one of them turned out to be harder than the screen.

@Hrush, take it back. All they can do is say no, and then you are no worse off than you are now.

Though I don't use a screen protector, if I were using it outdoors a lot, especially recreational, I'd get one. I'm sorry you found out the hard way. (unable to resist the pun)

Last edited:

Daerid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Find a place that does the "Ghost Armor" or Zagg invisible armor. Place the protector on the screen, it will make the scratch disappear, then return/replace for screen bleed...

It should work.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Find a place that does the "Ghost Armor" or Zagg invisible armor. Place the protector on the screen, it will make the scratch disappear, then return/replace for screen bleed...

It should work.

LOL. Do you really think the Apple techs are that dumb?

OP
H

hrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Do you think the Zagg protector might minimize the appearance of the scratch? It is pretty deep but I am willing to get one instead of paying for a new screen. I could live with that if it saves me a couple hundred bucks!
Thanks again!
Heidi

mikesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, honesty is the best policy, see if they will replace it for bleed issue, and if they do great, some folks have been able to get screen scratches replaced in the past, can't hurt to ask. Lying about it tho can bend your moral compass and tarnish your reputation, that is your call...

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see why you would have to lie about anything. If it has screen bleed, that is a factory defect (the scratch is immaterial)

~John

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We can guess what apple service may do all we want. The only way to know is to take it in and have them look at it. If you don't get a good answer on the visit take it a different apple store or come back at a different time to get a different tech.

While you are talking to the tech talk about the bleeding issue, don't even bring up the scratch.

Daerid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It should work.

LOL. Do you really think the Apple techs are that dumb?

Dumb, no. Easily distracted due to so many appointments, yes. I'm not suggesting that someone lie, but make sure that the conversation stays on point. The return would be due to screen bleeding, and a scratch should not keep someone from having their device replaced because of this factory defect.

Last edited:

Daerid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Do you think the Zagg protector might minimize the appearance of the scratch? It is pretty deep but I am willing to get one instead of paying for a new screen. I could live with that if it saves me a couple hundred bucks!
Thanks again!
Heidi

It hid my scratch... And I didn't return mine, I lived with the scratch.

OP
H

hrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for all of the replies. I wasn't planning on lying about anything. I did order the Zagg protector but only to see if it covered up the scratch enough that I could live with it.

I am apprehensive to bring it back in because I was just there and I don't want them to think I am creating problems to get a swap. I do have moderate screen bleed but it honestly doesn't interfere with my everyday use and I feel bad complaining about something that doesn't really bother me.

Hopefully the Zagg cover will improve the look of the scratch...it is really hard to look at right now because of where it is on the screen and the fact that it is deep enough to cause my eyes to focus on it all the time!! If it does not improve, I will look into getting a replacement for the screen bleed issue.
Thanks again!

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They advised us that the screen was totally scratched resistant.

I was advised this in-store; a month (or two) later, despite ALWAYS leaving the magnetic cover on when its not in use, despite living in a house with no kids, and despite only ever leaving the house with the iPad double-wrapped (magnetic cover plus an all-over snug-fitting foam cover), the screen has a scratch. Not massive, but enough for me to wonder where the heck it came from. And enough for me to powerfully regret listening to the advice I was given in-store.

arbor53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took mine back today for screen bleed, new one is on order, I didn't use a screen protector on this one and luckily no scratches but after hearing how easy it is to get a scratch I think I will get one for the new iPad2 when it comes in and put it on as soon as I pull it out the box.

Most reactions

Latest posts