What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 cases

ullinish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW, even if the cover goes over the hinges you should not allow the weight of the iPad to be taken by the smart cover. The last thing that either of you want is another cracked screen. I would only pick an iPad up by the cover alone if it's an all in one which the iPad sits inside.

The Archangel

Oh yes, I agree and understand that. I wouldn't go flapping it around just holding onto the Smart Cover. But for instance, last night I was propping it up on the floor filming my cats and showing them videos of themselves (because technology is made for cat videos, as we all know) and the Smart Cover dislodged. I was holding the iPad, so it didn't fall over, but still! Propping up shouldn't be that hard.

Zipur, I agree with you. There should be more warnings about the Smart Cover. I'm doing my part by leaving reviews everywhere. Thanks for the opinions on the other cases! I have actually ordered the Switch Easy Canvas case for myself, but I'm worried to hear about the plastic cracking for many owners. Does Switch Easy make a rotating case? About the CEO, though I like the hand strap, I have to admit I want something colorful. I don't actually want to look like a CEO in all black. That's boring! At least the Deft Detour comes in white.

Last edited:

tokirobot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally love the "Scosche SnapShield." It's amazing! It's really thin and little weight is added. There is easy installation and
easy "de-stallation," is that a word? Yet, the case is very snug and it protects from scratches. It's $25 I believe, but I got for $15
off of eBay! :)

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive got the 1st iPad and the genuine full case. Why didnt apple keep this design for the iPad 2 ? When I get my iPad 3 i Want a simple full casing like the first edition one and not just the smart cover.

Sent via my Opposable Thumbs

teasac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Acknowledging I have not read all the posts on this thread, I would ask, does the Rocketfish cover/keyboard qualify in this category. I love this device, providing both protection and a convenient keyboard for email, word processing, etc. Cost $99 at Best Buy but also can find one on Amazon or Ebay for much less. Does anyone have a suggestion of one in this group that is better??

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ullinish said:
...Does Switch Easy make a rotating case? About the CEO, though I like the hand strap, I have to admit I want something colorful. I don't actually want to look like a CEO in all black. That's boring! At least the Deft Detour comes in white.

Great let us know how you like it. I think these MFGs update the materials as time goes by so the plastic issue may not affect you. Plus the case will hold up as long as you don't go nuts with it (kids). Here is Alan interesting point for new iPad owners. The most active/recurring treads are about cases and stylus options. Thats because Ipads work I point this out only because I started as a Xoom owner. From time to time I check their posts and the Xoom turned out to be a horrid device. So enjoy reward yourself.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
teasac said:
Acknowledging I have not read all the posts on this thread, I would ask, does the Rocketfish cover/keyboard qualify in this category. I love this device, providing both protection and a convenient keyboard for email, word processing, etc. Cost $99 at Best Buy but also can find one on Amazon or Ebay for much less. Does anyone have a suggestion of one in this group that is better??

I love the idea of a keyboard case as it would be close to fully replacing a laptop. However since I consume more than create my focus is on light weight protection not utility. Of course you can say a snap-on case would be lighter but you also loose a level of protection and utility. That being said the Zagg and Crux gets the most positive post in my mind. It's about the same price. Does your case add much weight?

ullinish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is Alan interesting point for new iPad owners.

Thanks, Alan. :rolleyes: Yep, the iPad is great, especially that autocorrect.

Got my Switcheasy Canvas today and I really like it, but I keep wishing it could rotate. I realized that being left-handed, I keep holding my iPad the opposite way of how it was designed. I think having a rotating case would be handy for that, and for reading things vertically. I might exchange it for a Deft Detour. But I definitely like the big flap when I'm resting it on my lap, instead of just a little floppy triangle like the Smart Cover. It's more comfortable. And the whole thing feels much safer and protected now. Maybe I'll give THIS to my mom and return the Incipio Smart feather. She might like it better, and then we can both just ditch our Smart Covers.

Oh wait - no, it's not being left-handed, it's that the Smart Cover got me used to having the home button on the left (in typing mode), but in the Canvas case it ends up on the right. But I keep getting other buttons and the camera mixed up. I suspect my left-handedness has something to do with it.

Last edited:

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ullinish said:
Oh wait - no, it's not being left-handed, it's that the Smart Cover got me used to having the home button on the left (in typing mode), but in the Canvas case it ends up on the right. But I keep getting other buttons and the camera mixed up. I suspect my left-handedness has something to do with it.

Try this trick. Go into general setting > accessibility > assistiveTouch = on

This will place ta soft button in your screen which can be moved to wherever you like. It's not perfect but it may be the answer to your left hand issue. By the way did you know all but two presidents have been left handed.

peas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i like Smurf's Villiage iPad 2 Smart Cover Case - The Earth

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Carbon Fiber case is one of our customer favorites: carbon-fiber-ipad-2-case.jpg

alert5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought a "NEW Trent™" case with removable bluetooth keyboard. I wanted good protection for the iPad 2 and a real keyboard. The NEW Trent fits the bill very nicely and you can charge your iPad 2 and the keyboard at the same time with the case closed up.

Setup was a breeze and I rate the form, fit and function as excellent.

The virtual screen keyboard is quite irritating to me, so using this BT keyboard has been a great pleasure, so far.

I found keyboard controls for the Apple iPad keyboard on line, as the NEW Trent came with no manual. Being an Apple newbie, I had no clue as to what the Apple keyboard was all about, so writing this with the NEW Trent keyboard using iWork Pages has been a very helpful exercise.

These keyboard controls work for the NEW Trent keyboard in Pages.

Shortcuts for Controlling Device Settings & Media

F1 decrease brightness (dim) for device screen
F2 increase brightness for device screen
F8 media play or pause
F9 navigate forwards for media playing (next song)
F7 navigate backwards for media playing (previous song)
F10 Mute media playing
F11 decrease volume for media sound
F12 increase volume for media sound
Option (or Comd or Shift or Control) + F9 skips to next album
Option (or Comd or Shift or Control) + F7 returns to previous album

The Trent keyboard has no keys labeled F1...F12, but all these shortcut keys are included in the top row with easily, understood symbol labels. They all functioned perfectly for screen brightness and music playback.

The top row also has some other useful keys as well, like a keyboard key and a select all key.

Keyboard Shortcuts for Selecting Text or Moving within text paragraph or document

-Comd A Select All (the top row key performs the same function)
-Comd C Copy Text
-Comd X Cut
-Comd V Paste
-Option + Delete, delete entire words one at a time to the left of the cursor
-Comd Z Undo
-Shift + comd + Z Redo
-Shift + Right Arrow selects/deselects letter by letter moving to the right
-Shift + Left Arrow selects/deselects letter by letter moving to the left
-Shift + Up Arrow selects/deselects text when moving up
-Shift + Down Arrow selects/deselects text when moving down
-Option + Shift + Right arrow allows you to select/deselect text word by word when moving right
-Option + Shift + Left arrow allows you to select/deselect text word by word when moving left
-Option + Shift + Up arrow allows you to select/deselect text line by line when moving up
-Option + Shift + Down arrow allows you to select/deselect text line by line when moving down
-Comd + Up Arrow move the cursor to the beginning of document
-Comd + Down Arrow move the cursor to the end of document (also works with Control)
-Comd + Right Arrow move the cursor to the end of the line (also works with Control)
-Comd +Left Arrow move to the beginning of the line
-Tab indents the text
-Right, Left, Up and Down Arrows will move the cursor in the body of the text

All of the above work correctly with the Trent.

Eject Button (on upper, right of keyboard) disconnects bluetooth keyboard to allow accessing the virtual keyboard on the device.

The Trent keyboard does not have an eject button. It has a top row button with a keyboard symbol; when pressed it turns on the virtual keyboard. You can then use both keyboards together. The Trent also has an on/off switch at the upper right corner.

Comd + Spacebar select a different (International) keyboard if one has been added to the list of available keyboards in the General Settings for the device

I have not tested selection of a different keyboard.

Keyboard Shortcuts to Yield Special Symbols - Using option key and letters/numbers yields special symbols, and using option shift and a letter/numbers produces some additional symbols.

Option w yields the symbol ∑
Option r yields the registered trademark symbol ®
Option d yields the symbol sigma ∂
Option p yields the symbol for pi π
Option g yields the symbol for copyright ©
Option 2 yields the symbol for trademark ™
Option x yields the symbol for approximately equal to ≈
Option v yields the square root symbol √
Option k yields the degree symbol ˚
Option 4 yields the cent symbol ¢
Option j yields the delta symbol ∆
Option , yields the lesson than and equal to symbol ≤
Option . yields the greater than and equal to symbol ≥
Option / yields the division symbol ÷
Option n + (then release option key) followed by letter n yields the ñ
Option e = (then release option key) followed by letter e yields é
Option ` = (then release option key) followed by a or e or i yields à and è and ì
Option 5 yields the infinity sign ∞
Option 8 yields the bolded bullet •
Option ; yields the ellipse symbol (3 dots in a row) …
Option b yields the integral symbol ∫
Option 1 yields the upside down exclamation point ¡

Each of the symbols you see above and the ones shown below were created correctly with the Trent keyboard using the indicated key combinations within Pages.

There are also a number of symbols that can be typed when using the shift key along with the option key and a letter/number.

Option + Shift + k yields the apple symbol 
Option + Shift + 3 yields the less than symbol ‹
Option + Shift + 4 yields the greater than symbol ›
Option + Shift + letter o yields the null symbol Ø
Option + Shift + 3 yields the less than symbol ‹
Option + Shift + 4 yields the greater than symbol ›
Option + Shift + letter o yields the null symbol Ø
Option + Shift + 2 yields the Euro symbol €
Option + Shift + equals symbol = yields the ± symbol
Option + Shift + left bracket [ yields the right double quotes ”
Option + left bracket [ yields the left double quotes “
Option + Shift + right bracket ] yields the right single quote ’
Option + right bracket ] yields the left single quote ‘
Option + Shift + front slash / symbol yields the upside down question mark used in Spanish ¿

eastofthe206

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a huge shout out to everyone on this thread from a newbie to the site! This was super helpful to me - bet I spent 2 hours going through this thread last night and I think I found just the right case for ME. What this really shows is there is a case and a manufacturer for anyone, and I do mean anybody, that has a specific need or desire. I am just thankful to be rescued from the mediocre, ridiculously expensive options at my local big box scores. Thanks everyone...

(BTW - for my needs it was the AYL Yoobao rev 3 in red [makes the wife happy] and I will report my review as soon as it arrives and I use it for a bit)

madmaclove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a leather case - the front looking like a smart cover, works like a smart cover - full case and practical use. I bought it online from mapicases.com Mine is Kolossa and very useful for me. I also like my case look good. :)

ullinish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been getting used to my SwitchEasy Canvas case, and I've decided I really really like it. My iPad feels more comfortable and sturdy, and the teal color makes me happy, and all around I just enjoy my iPad so much more. And I don't care that it adds a bit of weight or looks un-sleek. Sleek was my iPad slipping off my lap when the Smart Cover magnets failed. Sleek and streamlined right down to the ground. I like my comfy sturdy strong Canvas.

By the way, I did also try the "white" Deft Detour for it's 360 feature, but the white color (actually sort of a bone color, pale taupe) was really really boring. Like... leather and elastic granny shoes. And I realized that I don't actually care about 360 that much after all. Plus the sleep/wake function didn't quite work right, because the cover was a little bit loose and floppy. People complain about the SwitchEasy Canvas' closure being too difficult, and it is tricky, but the sleep/wake function always works perfectly, and it feels secure, not like crumbs or stray pencils are going to slip in.

Most reactions