What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 Battery life - What do you get?

Crush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have basic IPad 2 16gb wifi

I've done everything I can to save power except dimming the screen. Everything else except wifi disabled. Charge done with stock equipment.

With average web browsing, reading, and checking my news apps, I can maybe get a 3 hour session in. before I could swear I got many more hours. I've owned it doe a couple of months now..

How much do you guys get?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Crush - welcome to the forum! :)

This is an oft asked question and many threads already exist on the iPad's 'battery life' - a search might have been of value - :thumbs:

But as you've already implied, the iPad's battery when fully charged should deliver about 8-10 hrs (of course, depending on services such as Wi-Fi, 3G, etc. that may be active) - Apple support suggests that about once a month, you allow the battery to be pretty much drained and then re-charge - give that a try after which recharge fully and see what happens? If still a problem, you might have to deal w/ an Apple store for further evaluation - good luck!

OP
C

Crush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I let it drain out almost every time..

How long does yours last if I may ask..

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can get about a good 10-12 hours being able to surf, email, read a book,or play a game. I let it drain down to 0% every month. I really don't watch any videos on my iPad. I charge my iPad every 2 days.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi,

I let it drain out almost every time.. How long does yours last if I may ask..

Hi Crush - I probably let my battery drain a couple of times a month, but have never really tested the time - I suspect that I'm getting close to 8 hrs or so (at least at the moment - have owned the device nearly a year); note that I leave my Wi-Fi connection ON (not my Bluetooth & don't have 3G; of course there are other potential 'drains' on power).

However, you should certainly be getting more than 3 hrs w/ a full charge; all that I can suggest at the moment is for you to 'Reset' the iPad (directions HERE), and then w/ the battery drained, give a good overnight charge - see what happens? Please respond back - good luck! :)

OP
C

Crush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I've done all that.

My screen is at max brightness and I use it straight through the time usually reading.. I watch some CNN videos but not much..

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yeah I've done all that.

My screen is at max brightness and I use it straight through the time usually reading.. I watch some CNN videos but not much..

Well, my screen is dimmed a little but doubt that would make much of a difference; if you've indeed done all suggested and still getting just 3 hrs on a 'full' battery charge, then that is not normal - you've own the device just a couple of months so still under warranty - not sure 'how' your purchased the iPad, but recommend that you visit a local Apple store (if possible) and have them check it out?

BTW, I see that you are from Toronto! Wife & I go to Canada in the summer about every other year - last visit was to Quebec - this July we are planning a return to Toronto - love that city and expect an enjoyable trip! Dave :)

OP
C

Crush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hehe actually it was an open box from best buy so someone did return it..

Why do you dim the screen for when it's already quite dim at max? Just curious..

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hehe actually it was an open box from best buy so someone did return it..

Why do you dim the screen for when it's already quite dim at max? Just curious..

Just don't need it that bright in the lighting I use, and probably saves a 'little' battery power, likely of no importance, though.

Believe that from you last comment, i.e. 'open box', that you should return the iPad (may have been the issue w/ the OP, i.e. 'original purchaser') - hope that all works out well - just get another one! :)

AtomHeartMother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen brightness is a big battery drainer...I have mine set to about 2/3rds brightness on the slider. I'm easily getting 10-12hrs out mine-16gb wifi only model as well. Do you get alot of heat as yours is running? Could certainly be a bad cell causing the short times.

kostnkost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to second that about screen brightness. My wifes Ipad2 is set all the way to the highest level and she has to charge every day. I keep mine set about 1/4 of the way and I charge every 2 days.

Makes a huge difference.

legal7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i haven't time it but i probably get 10 hours with setting on auto brightness and basic brightness set at 50%

Arizona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can get about a good 10-12 hours being able to surf, email, read a book,or play a game. I let it drain down to 0% every month. I really don't watch any videos on my iPad. I charge my iPad every 2 days.

Ditto. This mirrors just about exactly what I get. I've had mine for a month now. I surf on it off and on all day long from early morning til bed time pretty much. Rarely ever have to charge it before bed time. Mine is Verizon 3G.

Do you de-activate your running apps that you're not currently using? I do this several times a day, keeping only one or two running that i'm actually using. Hope you can figure it out.

KHB1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get a little over 11 hrs consistently. The lowest brightness works for me on my iPad 2. I have migraines so that is all the light I can take most days.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say that 3hrs, even at max brightness, is way too short. If you have an Apple Store near to you try taking it in (it doesn't matter that you bought it elsewhere) and get them to check it out.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts