What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1st bad logic board or just a bad LCD? HELP!!

mls1baby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a lady who gave me her iPad 1st gen WIFI to look at because it died on her. For whatever reason, she threw it a couple times :)confused:) and her kids have dropped it. Upon receiving this thing, it was completely warped, it appeared it had been left by something extremely hot, would not boot up, give any sounds, etc. Then, looking at it through the sunlight, I could see what appears like shatter marks on the LCD. The digitizer is completely untouched. I'm baffled by this iPad. I disassembled it, flattened out the housing, and tested the battery which appears fine. I tested it several times before I reassembled it and it would not show any signs of life whatsoever. I just told her I thought it was either it is her LCD or her logic board as everything else appears in working order but she would be better off just buying a new one since I couldn't get any sign of life on it. I attached all the screws and clips, put it together and went to hit the power button one more time and viola, I can see a backlight. The LCD is shattered and I know it is bad. Before I break down and purchase a new LCD, I want to make sure that the logic board isn't indeed bad. If both things are bad, she said she will just buy a new one. This one has sentimental value to her so she wants to save it if she possibly can. Would I be seeing light on the iPad if the logic board is bad? Is there a way to test either things before breaking down to order a new one? Is there anything else I can test before I throw in the towel? Both her and her husband are deaf so I kinda feel an emotional tug to help as much as I can. Any help would be appreciated!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mls1baby said:
I have a lady who gave me her iPad 1st gen WIFI to look at because it died on her. For whatever reason, she threw it a couple times :)confused:) and her kids have dropped it. Upon receiving this thing, it was completely warped, it appeared it had been left by something extremely hot, would not boot up, give any sounds, etc. Then, looking at it through the sunlight, I could see what appears like shatter marks on the LCD. The digitizer is completely untouched. I'm baffled by this iPad. I disassembled it, flattened out the housing, and tested the battery which appears fine. I tested it several times before I reassembled it and it would not show any signs of life whatsoever. I just told her I thought it was either it is her LCD or her logic board as everything else appears in working order but she would be better off just buying a new one since I couldn't get any sign of life on it. I attached all the screws and clips, put it together and went to hit the power button one more time and viola, I can see a backlight. The LCD is shattered and I know it is bad. Before I break down and purchase a new LCD, I want to make sure that the logic board isn't indeed bad. If both things are bad, she said she will just buy a new one. This one has sentimental value to her so she wants to save it if she possibly can. Would I be seeing light on the iPad if the logic board is bad? Is there a way to test either things before breaking down to order a new one? Is there anything else I can test before I throw in the towel? Both her and her husband are deaf so I kinda feel an emotional tug to help as much as I can. Any help would be appreciated!!

Here's something you could try. Apple makes a connection cable to mirror the display on a TV set. You could hook up the cable and see if the iPad display shows up on the TV. If the digitizer works, you should be able to manipulate the screen by watching the TV while moving your finger on the digitizer. This would let you check if the iPad, apart from the screen, still works.

Most reactions

Latest posts